Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I make my dwarves ride a minecart without hauling?  (Read 1046 times)

Golbolco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I make my dwarves ride a minecart without hauling?
« on: September 09, 2017, 08:24:24 pm »

I think this might be a silly question, because minecarts are meant for hauling, but please bear with me as I'm new to this element of the game.

I'm trying to build a swimming track that takes my dwarves through 4/7 water automatically in order to access the barracks. Is there a way to get my dwarves to use this? So far, they don't seem interested whenever I order them to do something inside of the military complex. Thanks.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make my dwarves ride a minecart without hauling?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 09:44:36 pm »

Pathfinding doesn't take into account riding minecarts. How would the pathfinding algorithm know that this specific minecart track leads into the barracks?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make my dwarves ride a minecart without hauling?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 12:20:38 am »

You can perhaps set the minecart to take nothing and depart every x days, and then ensure that only the dwarf in your fort you want to ride the minecart would, or some other way to ensure minecarts are used for workplace travel.

Ultimately, though, while dwarves can attack and shoot from minecarts they don't jump in while in active training.