Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Urist's Law -- The Inevitabilities of Dwarf Fortress  (Read 14838 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Urist's Law -- The Inevitabilities of Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2017, 12:40:47 pm »

Unless it's about the spooky cart in my avatar (or, heck, the whole adventure mode). I still don't know how it hurt my dwarves without moving or being anywhere near them u_u

I keep it around to remind me that there's still a lot I don't know in DF, if doing test embarks to find out things each week wasn't enough.

Though my first thought was "aw, shucks, thanks".
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:42:31 pm by Fleeting Frames »

BumbleMead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2017, 11:01:33 pm »

If at all possible, Your dwarves will drive the wagon into a volcano. Because you didn't need those supplies or anything.

I have one fort where they've done this through 4 reclaims.

nutregina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2017, 11:52:55 am »

1 Someone will always drop an old sock on your artifact door when you turn on the civilian alert.
2 When you built an archer tower on surface and command your archers to move there, they will get there in no time. With wooden bolts. Outside of the tower.
3 You will flood your fortress by making down-stairs in your water tank.
4 Your carpenter will go for a log on the surface.
5 You will pull the lever and will trap yourself with a beast.

EPM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2017, 10:54:26 pm »

The only thing more important to a Necromancer than eternal life is authoring several thousand books.

Much like reality, entropy is inviolable and absolute, as all things steadily expedite the end of the universe via FPS death rather than heat death.

The Elf caravan's contents are as worthless as its merchants.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2017, 07:26:02 pm »

3. Whenever you pump water, a dwarf mother will manage to loose her baby on the pumped tile.
Addendum : Any filled water reservoir will have 1 one more rotting corpses, blood, or mud in it.

They taste better when the reservoir has been filled through the corpse of the dorf (and baby) who dug the gravity-fed pipe that filled the reservoir! I once caught a dorf stopped to watch the "pretty waterfall" down the staircase she had dug between the hospital well cistern and the aquifer I was able to see all her thoughts in her last moments, she was definitely enjoying the show. She drowned soon after. If she had just walked out, she would have made it.

Make sure your cistern is a few z-levels deep, and you'll find the mud is on the bottom, and the bucket for the well fills from the top. Mud is therefore less of an issue.

Creation of an artifact stepladder ensures the appearance of KEA!

Moody dorf needs metal. "oh yeah, I bought some from the caravan!" ....a Keawoman has stolen a steel bar!
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2017, 10:22:54 pm »

You WILL accidentally release a buggy version of a mod, then bugfix it less than 10 minutes later.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2017, 10:24:30 am »

The demon who somehow became the human lawgiver/diplomat will have a passive, yet deadly attack that cannot be turned off.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2017, 03:00:09 pm »

Whenever you make digging megaprojects, or when you channel floors with nothing under them., there WILL be several cave-ins. No exceptions.

Addendum 1 : The cave-in will go through soil/built floors and fuck up your painstakingly built dwarven architecture.
Addendum 2 : The cave-in will kill your best miners. Alternatively, a promising armorsmith.
Addendum 3 : If you happen to be doing anti-forgotten beast tactical cave-ins in the caverns , the triggering dwarf WILL fall with the cave-in. Alternatively, the cave-in will fall prematurely, or the support dropping does nothing because you forgot some point of attachment.
Addendum 4 : The forgotten beast will ignore your wooden support-based cave-in trap. It will instead beeline for your meeting areas.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 03:05:50 pm by Naryar »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]