Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Roll to Escape the Spaceship [Players: 4/4, Waitlist: 2/4]  (Read 8889 times)

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Roll to Escape the Spaceship [Players: 4/4, Waitlist: 2/4]
« on: April 04, 2017, 04:09:31 pm »

After a heretofore-unexplained calamity on a heretofore-unidentified space vessel on an as-of-yet-classified assignment, you and your small band of fellow space-farers are the only apparent survivors. It's imperative that you stabilise the vessel and buy yourself enough time to reach the escape pods - the route there, however, is fraught with peril. You'll need every ounce of space-wit and space luck at your disposal to get out of this one!

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Additional notes (click to show/hide)

Waitlist:
Spoiler: ziizo (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Starver (click to show/hide)
Waitlisted players will be entered into the next available 'round' of the game, assuming player casualties in the previous round.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:51:09 pm by CubeJackal »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Escape the Spaceship [0/4]
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 04:31:34 pm »

Name: Frank
Background: Frank is a welder. And that's it.
Special skill: Welding
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 04:40:39 pm »

Name: Drank
Background: Drank is a Spacemagic-researcher, Thats about it.
Special Skill: Space magic
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 04:49:50 pm »

Name:Klue Wallskiier
Background: A hydro-tamer from Tempuare-Ah Tatuinne, learning how to be a Iddej use a mystical power called the Friction.
Special Skill: Using the Friction on objects, slowing them down and heating them up at the same time.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 04:54:23 pm »

Name: Bracken
Background: Bracken is a alcoholic engineering Engineer
Special skill: Electrical engineering
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 05:36:52 pm by Yottawhat »
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 05:28:49 pm »

Background: Bracken is a alcoholic engineering 
He's an alcoholic...engineering. So he's not an engineer, he's just engineering. And if he's drunk, he must not be able to engineer well. How Fun!
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Escape the Spaceship [4/4]
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 05:36:28 pm »

Background: Bracken is a alcoholic engineering 
He's an alcoholic...engineering. So he's not an engineer, he's just engineering. And if he's drunk, he must not be able to engineer well. How Fun!

Fuuuuuuuuuuu-
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 05:43:01 pm »

CALAMITY BEGIN

Ship Class: [4] = Imperial Freighter
Calamity Class: [6] = Collision

The four of you are temporary crewmembers on a freighter belonging to the Imperial Navy, shipping military supplies of some sort to some far-off conflict. Unbeknownst to you, an incorrectly-placed decimal point in the warp drive's co-ordinate programming have resulted in an unmitigated disaster - the ship has emerged from FTL space on a direct collision course with a planetoid, with no obvious way to redirect or cancel the forward velocity carrying the ship to its doom. Needless to say, your craft isn't constructed for atmospheric maneuvers, so conditions will become decidedly more lethal the closer your ship gets to its demise. The ship's escape pods can fortunately survive atmospheric flight, but don't leave it too long before launching them, or else you'll likely still hit the ground at well above terminal velocity anyway.

Name: Frank
Background: Frank is a welder. And that's it.
Special skill: Welding
[4] You're working as a contracted engineer, and this flight was meant to be your last before the end of the contract - although, to be fair, it could still end up being your last anyway. Currently, you're in the engineering bay - you were just working on some post-warp sub-light engine preparations before the alarms started blaring. You're armed with the access level typical of a rank-and-file engineer, and a toolbelt containing just about everything you'd need to fix (or break) the ship's various system.

Name: Drank
Background: Drank is a Spacemagic-researcher, Thats about it.
Special Skill: Space magic
[2] Your delving into the depths of knowledge regarding space-magic often takes you to far-flung locations, and this situation is no different - at least, it wasn't any different before the alarms started going off. It's important to note, you recall, that you're not strictly meant to be here - the Imperial Navy wasn't interested in allowing you to hitch a lift to your destination, so instead, you took it upon your own initiative to stow away. Presently, you're somewhere in the cargo bay - or, more precisely, somewhere inside a crate somewhere inside the cargo bay. It's far too dark to see anything, and you think you might've pulled a muscle in your back. You've got precious few possessions on your person to speak of - just your trusty lab uniform, some basic tools for detecting the presence of space-magic, and a pen-light.

Name:Klue Wallskiier
Background: A hydro-tamer from Tempuare-Ah Tatuinne, learning how to be a Iddej use a mystical power called the Friction.
Special Skill: Using the Friction on objects, slowing them down and heating them up at the same time.
[6] Though you consider yourself an apprentice in the art, the Imperial representative who observed one of your recent training sessions in the use of 'The Friction' was most impressed by your abilities, claiming that none like them had ever been observed within Imperial space before. It turned out that he was a high-ranking naval official soon due to be dispatched to a far-off area of conflict, and it was his belief that in the service of the Empire, your abilities could turn the tide of whatever war was being waged. As such, you were bundled off into the first-class passenger deck of the Imperial freighter currently bound for a ten-thousand-kilometre-per-second landing on the surface of an undocumented planetoid. Most of the crew seems to be either happy to help you or too scared of you to defy you, so if you've no interest in fixing the situation, getting to the escape pods shouldn't be too much of a hassle. You've got relatively little on your person, other than your robes, your all-access ID card and a few personal affects and snacks.

Background: Bracken is a alcoholic engineering Engineer
[1] You've been a faithful member of the Navy's engineering team for a good few years now, so you're understandably upset that they've decided to confine you to the brig for the duration of your flight. Sure, you might've accidentally spilled beer on the warp calculation computer in your last drunken attempt to 'optimise' it, and maybe that might've contributed a tiny bit to the ongoing crisis you're now aware of, but still! You expected better treatment, even despite the three members of the security staff you stabbed with a broken bottle during your attempt to escape the scene. All the same, as things stand, you're stuck in a now-abandoned brig cell (seems like all the guards are going for the escape pods) with nothing to your name except your jumpsuit... oh, and also the screwdriver you smuggled in. Don't ask.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 05:53:36 pm »

Frank looks for a map of the ship, trying to locate escape pods. Failing that, he follows anyone else running in hopes that they know what they're doing.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 06:46:47 pm »

Examine the brig door. If possible, use my screwdriver to unscrew the lock.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 08:18:37 pm »

Look for the command center, and figure out if I could reasonably slow the ship down with the Friction enough for the crew to use evasive maneuvers and steer the ship out of a collision course!

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 01:58:15 pm »

Rethi-Eli posts to watch.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 02:22:32 pm »

>(Break)Open Crate
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 11:28:07 am »

CALAMITY ROLL: [6]
Despite the general panic and rush to escape, a number of brave crew-hands are convinced that they can rectify the issue and preserve the ship. They remain hard at work in the bridge and at the engines, doing everything they can to divert the ship's course. It's nothing decisive, but thus far, they've been able to delay your craft's entry into the atmosphere by a minute or so, buying you precious time before the whole thing starts falling apart.

Frank looks for a map of the ship, trying to locate escape pods. Failing that, he follows anyone else running in hopes that they know what they're doing.
[2] You fumble for your PDA and attempt to pull up the map of the ship that every crewmember is meant to have on hand, but then you recall you deleted the file a couple of months ago in order to make some room for Asteroids Vs. Aliens III. It's a fun game, certainly, but now you're starting to regret downloading it. Furthermore, this brief delay has almost certainly set you back about thirty spaces in the line to get into the pods.

Examine the brig door. If possible, use my screwdriver to unscrew the lock.
[2] You lazily paw at the brig door in search of some sort of interface, then jab at it with the screwdriver a couple of times for good measure. As far as you can perceive, there's no access panel on the inside. The double-vision from that flask of space whiskey you smuggled in isn't really helping much here.

Look for the command center, and figure out if I could reasonably slow the ship down with the Friction enough for the crew to use evasive maneuvers and steer the ship out of a collision course!
[4] You make your way onto the bridge - it's normally quite a secure area, but nobody's in a position to ask for your credentials or reasoning at the moment. A quick inspection of the navigation computer reveals that if you were to interface with it appropriately, you could perhaps channel some of your power into the hull of the ship to slow it down. There's no telling what effects the residual heat would have on the poorly-armoured freighter, however, or what such massive exertion would do to your body.

Rethi-Eli posts to watch.
[3] You successfully post to watch, but only barely. Well done!

>(Break)Open Crate
[3] After a good deal of kicking, grunting and swearing, you burst out of the side of the crate and collapse into the cargo bay proper, causing a modest collection of MREs to tumble out alongside you. You struggle to your feet and inspect your surroundings, realising that you have no idea where you are in relation to anything else on the ship or how in space you're gonna get out of here. On top of that, you think you might've sprained something during your escape. Ouch.

(sorry about the slow response! future instalments will be a little more prompt)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 01:17:20 pm »

Frank was now beginning to panic. He tries to remember anywhere that had escape pods, and dashes there. If he cannot remember, he picks a random direction and runs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6