Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Search function being screwy  (Read 1056 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Search function being screwy
« on: April 05, 2017, 03:11:04 am »

I'm not entirely sure this is the correct board, but I've noticed a lot of computer questions come here, so:
The search function isn't functioning correctly for me, and it's driving me crazy. I can search the initial page of a result just fine, but when I try to go to the other pages of the results, it tells me there are no results -- something that also often happens when I just try to look the same thing up soon afterwaess - i.e. if I search "sword" in a thread, and then having failed to reach the second page of the results search it again, I will get a false no results. There isn't a problem searching for things different from each ither, but these two flaws vastly limit the utility of the function and I am getting very much frustrated.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Search function being screwy
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 10:21:17 am »

I think this problem is related the SMF upgrade Toady did a few months ago. Search hasn't worked right since.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 04:08:57 pm »

Yeah, it's been weird and inconsistent about it as well. Sometimes it works fine, other times it fails. It's really been harshing my daily narcissism hour where I dramatically read out my old posts and gloat about how much of a winner I am, so I hope it gets fixed soon.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 11:25:28 pm »

From what I've noticed, it (the search function) works well when done INSIDE a thread, but when done on a board or on the forum, it will fail when reaching or trying to view the second page results onwards. In-thread, or 'this topic' search parameters will result in a full (just like before) search stability. :O

All I can suggest is TRY your best to recall what THREAD you posted in, and some keywords to hit it up, then begins searching like normal.
...I love to have used keywords in the past for that. :P

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 11:07:30 am »

Ouch.

Oh, they've got a new version out...

Maybe they fixed that, I'll go poke Toady.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.