Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traditional Archery  (Read 1253 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Traditional Archery
« on: April 06, 2017, 05:46:44 am »

So I've watched this and I would guess it could apply to dwarf fortress.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 05:57:14 am by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional Archery
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 12:17:55 pm »

This is beautiful.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 06:00:50 pm »

This was convincing until it had Lars catching  arrows out of the air. It just went full anime there. But it was pretty cool to watch.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 04:04:14 am »

This was convincing until it had Lars catching  arrows out of the air. It just went full anime there. But it was pretty cool to watch.
Maybe Dwarfs (and adventurers) wouldn't catch arrows with their hands, however master archers could be carrying arrows in one hand without a quiver.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 06:56:51 pm »

Sure I suppose. Though Dorfs, and so far everyone else so far, uses European style archery. The only in the game, they dont do historically, is fire from the quiver. Quivers are for transporting bows, and generally not for firing from. Historically, bows were used for defense, where they were static, and archers laid out their arrows in front of them for easier loading.

What Lars is doing something closer to asian horse mounted archery. Which is different, but not inferior or superior to european style archery. They were used differently.

And since we're on the topic. How could it be lost, if he knows about it? If its lost, it cant be in any manuals. Asian horseback style archery just isnt used in sports archery.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 06:25:27 am »

Are you a elf? Running & firing arrows on the move sounds like something a elf would do.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 06:53:21 am »

Are you a elf? Running & firing arrows on the move sounds like something a elf would do.
My ne and my long snowy beard suggests otherwise, however Lars could be an elvish name.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 08:57:02 am »

Lars is a great trick shooter but his ideas on historical archery are a joke. Medeval archers definately used quivers since they'd need bring more than 3 arrows with them when they went to war. Just they generally wore quivers on their belt and not on their back.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 09:10:03 am »

Lars is a great trick shooter but his ideas on historical archery are a joke. Medeval archers definately used quivers since they'd need bring more than 3 arrows with them when they went to war. Just they generally wore quivers on their belt and not on their back.
Medieval archers most of the time didn't have to move too much though.

Wedolko

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Military Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 03:26:32 am »

When he threw the soda tab up and shot it I shouted "BULLSHIT" at my computer so loud my roommate told me to shut the hell up. Then I showed him.
-In a time before time DF spammed me with 50 pages of useless text

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 05:42:26 am »

When he threw the soda tab up and shot it I shouted "BULLSHIT" at my computer so loud my roommate told me to shut the hell up. Then I showed him.
Oh, that he totally did do. All the trick shooting, is things Lars really did. If you read the description of the video and stuff, it says that most of these tricks had to be done in lots of takes. The more bs thing, is when he shot the arrow out of the air. That 'perently took lots of takes, and when it was caught on film Lars said it was luck and couldnt readily do that trick.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 07:50:07 am »

That kind of shooting would never work in DF anyway, sure he can shoot 3 arrows in rapid succession, but long before he'd got off the second arrow, someone would have just thrown about two dozen arrows at him and turned him into a pincushion.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 02:06:27 pm »

It is a style of archery that has been relatively neglected in film/video, but that would have been common in unit engagements in hilly and wooded areas, and would fit in with the DF small unit combats that occur. Applying it to DF could be possible, but I wouldn't speculate on the method to use.

The typical bowman (who is expecting time to use that bow any moment now) will have a few arrows ready, in hand, or stuck in the ground. And if the archer is running in rough terrain, having arrows in hand is a skill they would develop. Much of the reason is the need to maintain your balance while running, between trees, on a slight incline, through fallen leaves that could cover a rock or root that you could trip on. Balance is all important and carrying arrows in hand is *easy* in comparison to freeing up an arm to pull them one-by-one from whatever quiver-thing you are using. And for a bowman that isn't part of a formation or behind defenses, movement is important.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?