Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 99 problems and they all are about mills.  (Read 861 times)

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
99 problems and they all are about mills.
« on: April 09, 2017, 12:23:11 pm »

Hello.

I have loads of stuff I need to process with a mill but I have a problem. Even with my dwarven reactor the mills jobs keep getting canceled with an unpowered mill message. I keep rebuilding the connection but it keeps claiming the mills are unpowered.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 99 problems and they all are about mills.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 02:07:52 pm »

Do you have a gear directly above the mill? Make sure your actually producing power too.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 02:36:48 pm »

Do you have a gear directly above the mill? Make sure your actually producing power too.

I cant power it from the side?

I have 300 power available and only require 146.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 02:57:35 pm »

Probably a poorly designed reactor which leads to power outages. Can you show us your energy supply?

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 04:40:40 pm »

Yea, I am just not sure how to post pictures on here.

Granted considering the reactor works by having pumps (which are powered by the water wheels) draw water from the aquifer to a channel with 3 water wheels and then the water falls back into the aquifer a short time later then all the pumps should also fail if the power goes down which would bring the reactor to a halt. But that is not a problem.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 06:21:56 pm »

if you are using windows:

Find the Print SCreen (Prt sc) button on your computer, and press it on something you want to take a screenshot of. Next, go to imgur.com, and hit "Add New Post."  Hit Ctrl+V. The screenshot should paste itself immediately (note that it will take the ENTIRE screen). There are tools to crop, rotate, etc.

Go back to DF, hit the print screen button again. Imgur, Ctrl+V. Repeat as necessary.

Or you could open up MS PAint or similar program once you've hit the Print Screen button, Ctrl+V, upload somewhere.

Next, open up a new post here on the forums, and, with a direct link to the picture, hit the Insert Image button (Directly below the Bold button). Or use these tags (without the periods):

[.img]Image Link Here.[/.img]
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 03:04:17 am »

I cant power it from the side?

Mills can definitely be powered from the side.   :)  (The last few I have built have connected with horizontal axles.)

Does the power get to the connecting machine components?  Have a look at each and see where it fails...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:07:09 am by feelotraveller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 04:05:45 am »

If you're using the aquifer you don't actually need a water reactor at all. Instead, you can induce flow into the aquifer and get power without any actual water movement at all. Alternatively, you can have an actual flow from the aquifer to an exit through a fortification into the map edge.
You can induce flow into an aquifer by pumping water into it (from another aquifer slit). I usually do that by having two pumps pumping in opposite directions between two 3 tile long slits. It doesn't work 100% (maybe 75%?), so sometimes I have to repeat the flow induction step (or live with one slit failing to produce power).
Another alternative to a water reactor is to use track stop mine cart dumping flow generation (which I haven't tried yet).