Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grazing Question  (Read 917 times)

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Grazing Question
« on: April 07, 2017, 12:29:30 pm »

So, I recently caught a bunch of Capybaras and thought, why not try to domesticate them? They could give my dwarves some meat variety and it's not like they're dangerous. But, despite being grazing animals, they don't seem to want to graze, despite being in the same type of pen my domesticated livestock are in and ALL grown capybara have the yellow down arrows. My biome has reeds, dense saw grass, and their pen has tons of fruit on the ground because there use to be trees there. I know they're aquatic animals, does my pen need a pond or something to meet their needs?

I have a tilepack, but no actual mods. What am I doing wrong here? Also how do I post pictures?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Grazing Question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 02:39:54 pm »

Yellow down arrows do not mean the creature is hungry. It means they are distracted. As long as they don't have a brown arrow, they are fine and can graze.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 02:52:15 pm »

SOME DAY I WILL OWN A FUZZY HORSE-RAT IRL!
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 04:14:40 pm »

Yes, they're cute! But how do they get distracted? Other than their own kin they are in a pen with nothing. Is being distracted negative? I've never even had it in dwarves. Although most of my dwarven problems tend to come when something comes to erase the fort from existence, and not minor issues with actually settling an area (other than the one time I left the game running and most of my dwarves dehydrated. oops.)

I still don't understand how the insert picture button works on this site. What do you put between the ['img']['img] to upload screenshots or other images from your computer?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 04:43:07 pm »

Animals typically gets distracted by a lack of worshiping(!). You can safely ignore it, or you can paint a temple over the pasture (in which case you'll get dorfs and visitors there as well), as Thisfox has reported various animals did pray after such a move.

You don't upload images: you insert a link to an image on some site that hosts it (such as imgur), so you need to upload it there and then link to it.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 04:56:45 pm »

Animals typically gets distracted by a lack of worshiping(!). You can safely ignore it, or you can paint a temple over the pasture (in which case you'll get dorfs and visitors there as well), as Thisfox has reported various animals did pray after such a move.

This is what is called a glitch. This is not supposed to be a thing.

Or at least, I don't think it is.

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 05:04:20 pm »

Thank you all so much! I'm glad it doesn't mean anything. Thanks for telling me how to post images too.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 08:58:39 pm »

This is what is called a glitch. This is not supposed to be a thing.
Or at least, I don't think it is.
Yeah it's a bug.

Although I didn't tell my animals to go to the temple: It was about 20 levels below them and to the side. They were released from their field and that's where they congregated, and got cured. Not all the animals were satisfied, however. Some apparently didn't so much need to pray, I'm told, but instead were upset by other needs/wants. After they had prayed, the ones who did want to pray were happy enough to be put in fields to graze/be animals again.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 09:07:41 am »

MeerkatOtter cancels graze, praying to Armok:

Just wait until they get hold of your *steel toy forge*!

Edit: sorry, I'm not very good with furries ;-)