Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarfopoly: Year 26 Aaaaargh! So messed up! (Game over)  (Read 25380 times)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfopoly: Bridge-building phase
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 05:23:50 am »

Interesting- PTW.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Year 7, Age of Ano
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 07:57:20 am »

New Births in The First Bridge: 18 dwarves spring from the earth, newly created! (Migrants)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
                                                 9 dwarves spring from the earth, newly created! (Migrants)
                                                 8 dwarves spring from the earth, newly created! (Migrants)

New Artifacts Created in The First Bridge: The Muddled Belts & Cresttroubles

New Clans Founded in The First Bridge: Thornmirror, Councelledmine, Muddledbelts, Boatsmoral & Cresttroubles

New positions created in The First Bridge: Sheriff & Hammerer

New Tavern founded in The First Bridge: "The Competitive Guild"

Updated Pictures of The First Bridge:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:31:07 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First Bridge completed!
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 05:01:00 pm »

So, after seven (in game) years of continual building, The First Bridge has finally been completed and retired.  Now in the eighth year, we really start seeing a shake-up in the Clan system.  With over fifty named individuals ready to emigrate and several established Clans, we'll see who takes this opportunity to marry and start clans of their own.  As each new bridge is built, the numbers of "newly created" dwarves will rise (the founders and first two migrant waves probably creating the majority).  Slowly, the RNG will have more of the dwarven population available to be chosen for migration be named dwarves, and its hoped the RNG will also be affecting the births and deaths of the named dwarves in previous sites, which will in turn also affect the Clan ranking system for this game.  I'm pretty excited, I can tell you!  It will be very interesting to see what actually happens.

On another topic, I think that once the bridge-building phase is completed, that any forumite who wishes to play the succession phase of the game will need to select one of the bridge-builder's pantheon of deities as their "avatar".

I see the succession game going in two phases: 1: Monastery/Temple Building and 2: Adventurer Quests
Like Monopoly, a double set of dice (I'll be using an online service that posts the results publicly) are rolled to see to which island the Player's statue will be sent. Unlike Monopoly, I can see multiple Players being able to build monasteries on an island, but that just means that any "rent" (in the form of worship) is divided amongst the Players who have a temple there.  (Or maybe each Player's monastery will have to be paid the full island rent as a kind of multiple?) Anyway, in the monastery-building phase, a Player sets up an embark by paying the appropriate amount of worship and proceeds to build a Monastery to eventually house their statue.  Of course, if they happen to land on an island where they already have a monastery, they can then choose to upgrade it to a shrine, temple, ect... but they can also choose to just plop another basic monastery down too (I think I might make it that each pre-existing monastery will need to be paid it's full rent in worship before a new monastery can be built on an island. That should limit the number of monasteries that are built on any particular island by simple economics.) Anyway, after an in-game year, the monastery is retired and play passes to the next in line until everyone has had a chance to place their monastery. After that, the next phase is begun: phase 2.

In phase 2, each Player will begin as an adventurer by traveling to the site where the statue of their chosen deity is currently sitting. (The statue will be the playing piece, rather than the adventurers for the simple reason that statues die less often, volcanoes and deep pits notwithstanding).  Their quest will be to bring the statue to it's new place (the monastery/site the Player was at in Phase 1.)  Once they get it there, they place the statue in the spot they set up for it and retire the adventurer.  Now comes the final bit: that new place is re-embarked to designate the statue as part of a temple.  (Of course, that means that any further adventurer who gets the quest to move the statue the next turn will be cursed for "desecrating" that temple, but that should also make the statue-bearer a little less fragile when it comes to the hardships of the road.  Interestingly, it also sets them up as quest targets for other Player's adventurers, and may be used by the RNG to go on a rampage at various sites in-game too.  More stuff to make the game-world history more interesting.

I'll set up a statue-making embark adjacent to the capitol where the initial statues will be located. (Where-ever that may be. Currently it's Fort Lashtrance, but if each bridge takes 7-8 years to build, we're looking at about 300 years of in-game post-world-gen history happening before that starting embark is created.  Anything could happen in that time, whole new dynasties might rise and fall in the interim. If Lashtrance has fallen, maybe I'll just "reclaim" it instead. Poetically closing the circle.)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 12:33:39 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Year 8, Age of Ano
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 12:28:45 pm »

Births in The Bright Bridge: 7 Dwarves spring from the earth, newly created! (Founders)

Migrants to The Bright Bridge: 16

New Positions appointed in The Bright Bridge: Expedition Leader, Broker, CMD, Book-keeper

New Clan founded in The Bright Bridge: Rakedmirrored

New Artifact created at The Bright Bridge: Sullenhush, the Shame of Admirers

First pictures of The Bright Bridge

Births in Fort Lashtrance: 4

Births in Guildraptor Hillock: 1

New Positions in The First Bridge:

Marriages in The First Bridge: 5

New Clan founded in The First Bridge: Mightycrystal

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfopoly: Building the world one bridge at a time.
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 04:54:03 pm »

I'm unsure how you manage to keep track of all this, but it's incredibly interesting and ambitious! It even gives me a ck2-esque vibe, which is one of my favourite games.

If possible, i'd like to be dwarfed as some kind of ranger or armydwarf, preferably male, with the clan name "Lemonpie"
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:55:59 pm by Lord_lemonpie »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 06:29:56 pm »

I'm unsure how you manage to keep track of all this, but it's incredibly interesting and ambitious! It even gives me a ck2-esque vibe, which is one of my favourite games.

If possible, i'd like to be dwarfed as some kind of ranger or armydwarf, preferably male, with the clan name "Lemonpie"

Will do.  I'll start the game up, open up the job menu screen and the first Clanless male adult dwarf I find will be "Touched by the Gods" and become the Patriarch of the Lemonpie Clan.  If the Hammerer or Militia Commander job hasn't been snapped up by one of the other Clans already, the job will be his.  Otherwise, I'll make him a squad Captain and start him training immediately.  Welcome to the world!

>>Zzzap!<< Meet Captain Vucaro Lemonpie of The Bright Bridge; the Patriarch of the first Forumite Clan.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:52:08 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 02:38:44 am »

Thanks, looking forward to see what'll happen!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Year 9, Age of Ano
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 04:09:59 am »

Births in The Bright Bridge: 1

Migrants to The Bright Bridge: 15

New Clans Founded in The Bright Bridge: Lemonpie, Reasonrags, Bellwheel, Boltweakened, Laborsalves & Bridgebrave

New positions appointed in The Bright Bridge: 8

New Artifacts created in The Bright Bridge: The Flutes of Compassion & The Future Hunger

Updated pictures of The Bright Bridge
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 04:26:52 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military Prestige?
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 01:17:56 pm »

Complete version

Summary

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Religious Prestige
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 05:37:25 pm »

It may be that clerks and scribes aren't fit for military duty, or someone has gotten too old or injured to be of much use.  How do these nobles get Prestige for their Clans if all the noble positions in a fort have already been taken?  The third option would be as clergy of the various deities.  I imagine the religious orders have a similar structure to the military ones, which gives us parallel positions to General, Captain of the Guard, Sheriff, Militia Commander, Militia Captain, Champion and Hammerer.  Let's see...

General........................................Primus
Captain of the Gaurd......................High Priest/Priestess
   Champion..................................Scribe (Only available to religious dwarves who have authored a book or scroll)
Sheriff..........................................Priest/Priestess
   Hammerer.................................Adept
Militia Commander.........................Initiate
Militia Captain................................Acolyte
Militia Squadmates.........................Neophytes

In this case, the metric might be "Sanctity".  Religions are themselves a kind of Clan, so each religion might become a separate Clan itself, where members can be taken from the Royalty/Nobility/Gentry, but then those individuals change their Clan affiliation to the religion instead.

This could tie into the adventurer mode aspect, since each deity could hand down religious themed "Quests" through their local representative, Military "Quests" could come from the local military rep, and other "Quests" could come from local nobility such as "fetch such and such" or "guide so and so to this destination".

Families who have members in the clergy are also a thing though, so maybe the various religious orders would just be treated as another branch of nobility instead.  A parallel branch to the Military, but folded into the Noble positions as an either/or option. 

My only problem is that the RNG doesn't support another set of Noble positions based on the various deities, so there wouldn't be any off-site position changes because its not coded into the game.  (I suppose I could mod the race entries to support having these new nobles, but I'd have to start a new world over again from scratch...)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:54:56 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfopoly: Building the world one bridge at a time. Year 9 posted
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2017, 04:09:33 am »

It would be interesting to see what would happen if these could be added to the game, but as you said, it's too late for that now. There's still default churchy positions, right? At least for humans, as I've regularly encountered something like a "high door" etc. in their villages in adventure mode. Not sure if dwarves do the same though.

Also, do artists (poets, bards, dancers) and scholars/scribes garner any prestige for their clans?

Btw you forgot to put a / in one of the spoiler brackets in the OP, clan Lemonpie is currently listed within the spoiler of the Laboredsalves clan.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfopoly: Building the world one bridge at a time. Year 9 posted
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 12:56:24 pm »

Good catch, thanks!

As to poets ad al having Prestige, I was going to treat the creation of books or scrolls as artifacts in and unto themselves, which would boost Clan Prestige.  The formation of troupes and such though - The troupe might become more favored if they are able to perform for Nobility or Royalty I suppose, (Gentry are currently much too common), but that would be more of a fame thing than social standing.  (Which I guess there's a link in there between fame and social standing.  Maybe have a fourth metric measuring the fame of groups of nobles and/or commoners who form performing arts troupes... Let's burn that bridge when we come to it.  There's always the ability to look through Legends Mode and back-date any changes to the relative pages.  We Forii live outside Game-Time after all. We were old when this world was new and shall be much the same when this world falls into disorder, chaos and eventual dissolution. Kinda gives you perspective, huh?)

I checked the RAWS (entitity_default.txt) and in the current version I'm using don't even see the humans having a priest job.  Which is kind of a shame.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 01:10:04 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Year 10, Age of Ano
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2017, 07:04:42 pm »

Births in The Bright Bridge: 38

Deaths in The Bright Bridge: 1

New Artifacts Created in The Bright Bridge:Seednet, The Occult Sword & The Mindful Visionary

New Clans Founded in The Bright Bridge:Seednet, Gearnourished, Mindvision

New Positions in The Bright Bridge:Mayor, Captain of the Gaurd

Updated Pictures of The Bright Bridge:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:18:18 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfopoly: Building the world one bridge at a time. Year 10 posted
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2017, 09:39:03 pm »

I was looking at the RAWS for the various nobility settings and saw that for things like Sheriff -->Captain of the Gaurd one replaced the other.  For positions like Militia Commander or Manager, there was just this [site] tag in there, whereas those for the other landed nobility didn't have that, and it got me thinking: What if we modded the file to have [site] for every position, but have a wealth requirement or population requirement before that position shows up to be filled by the dwarf in the position below them?  There's also a [replaced by heir] tag that's pretty interesting - there's a way to limit the number of positions too, which would make getting your dwarven Clans into those spots also very interesting.

Anyway, I'm not modding the game for this project, but for another one, I might play around with having the Mountainhome just grow from the offspring of the original seven or something.  (Maybe the original seven plus the first two waves of hardcoded migrants). A thought.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Year 11, Age of Ano
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 04:55:45 pm »

Births in The Bright Bridge: 8

Deaths in The Bright Bridge: 5

New positions in The Bright Bridge: Broker, Mayor

New Artifacts Created in The Bright Bridge: "The Summit of Princes" and "Greedspun, the Roasted Honesty"

New Clans founded in The Bright Bridge: Summitprinces and Greedspun

Updated Pictures of The Bright Bridge:

Births in Fort Lashtrance: 3
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 01:42:21 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12