Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [44.12] Rhenaya's Drow, updated  (Read 24570 times)

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[44.12] Rhenaya's Drow, updated
« on: April 08, 2017, 03:35:04 pm »

Rhenaya's Drow mod, updated for 44.12

beta 0.9.0 is out! "Rushed Creatures Edition"

As Arkenor pointed out (thanks) some creatures were causing duplication bugs with creatures in other mods using Rhenaya's old files (Masterwork, to be specific). Changing the creatures names is going to prevent further duplications without asking other modders to touch their files.

I took this as a chance to revamp the creatures: now we have three kinds of rothen and three kinds of lizard where there was one, and I added a first draft of the Shriekers, Sword Spider and Cavvekan pets.

I added some reaction to roduce armor in full sets - something to help lazy players to inmerse themselves in the luxury-used drow way of doing things, relatively free of micromanagement when it is not needed.
But this is a rushed edition: I had 'almost ready' things in the works I talked about in a forum post, I felt to share them as they are as a start, there will be more developed versions of this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler: Credits (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 06:25:15 am by Mediterraneo »
I don't do much modding, but when I do you can use anything I did for Dwarf Fortress in any non-commercial project. Let me know if you did, you'll make me happy!

Rhenaya's Drow mod forum page

Shub-Nullgurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Rhenaya's Drow, updated
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 02:47:28 am »

Oh, I didn't realise that about Rhenaya, that's a real shame.

I was hoping to take a look at their stuff to include in my Underdark mod. Do you have a download for it?

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rhenaya's Drow, updated
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 07:00:37 am »

Hello Shub-Nullgurath,

The link from which I took the files I worked on is this, at the DFFD: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=2176
It is written for the then latest version, 34.11. "It's the same files" of my work, what I had to rewrite is detailed in my "Med's readme". Everything I touched is marked clearly as so in my upload.
Those files include sprites from other authors, I'm trying to contact them too. Rhenaya's thread about this indicated Chariot (he is a user here, last active 19 of march CY) and Doctror_Nic and Flying Squirrel (a user here, last active 1 of april CY) posted graphical things on the same thread, I noticed them while adding the link to her original thread here, I was able to send a PM to two of them, not to Doctor_Nic yet, I'm still looking for him.

This is Rhenaya's mods page there: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=554

To state it clearly: her work is her own, and if it is available to the community, please be welcome to use it without asking me.
I have no ties to her, nor any claim on her work.
My work - on this files or otherwise, and as small as some rewriting here and there may be- is available for unrestricted use within the community too, for as long as it is stays free and is not included in non-free products and packages, even if I get unactive and unreachable.
Take it, use it, cut it, build it.
My objective is making things easily available to everyone who wants them.

On shared use: I got to Rhenaya's work following searches on drow mods around. Meph's Masterwork mod for a while included these guys too, I think it was back to when Rhenaya updated them regularily but I may be wrong on this.
He may have news, ideas or more recent version of the files too.

Cheers, and keep up with your underdark work!
I don't do much modding, but when I do you can use anything I did for Dwarf Fortress in any non-commercial project. Let me know if you did, you'll make me happy!

Shub-Nullgurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: [43.05] Rhenaya's Drow, updated
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 10:19:22 am »

I dropped you a message. If you've got a Discord jump in the channel in my signature.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 01:20:01 pm »

Hello there, I'm glad someone has decided to try and update Rhen's drows for the latest version of DF.
I was trying to update things myself at the weekend, using elements from the elf profile to fill in the blanks that were needed, and had some success, after reading some of your posts.
I couldn't get the drow outcasts entity to work though, it crashed for some reason, so I had to cut them from the modded raws that I am using, to regain familiarity with DF after not playing it for a couple years.
Something that I've noticed, but which I've read seems to be an issue with the latest version of DF in general, was that I can't butcher goblins, or other sapient creatures? That was a bit of a surprise - in previous versions of Rhen's drow mod, I had a tendency to build quite the goblin leather industry and goblin bone craft industry.
Still getting used to things, but will keep an eye on this, to see how it develops.

by the way, you haven't included your latest link to your work, this one: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12819

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 09:21:07 pm »

OMG I love you for doing this!

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 06:11:24 am »

Thanks Rekov!

Take also note of Shub-Nullgurath's work on the Underdark, I think he is working on his own drows too in these days.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 12:44:21 am »

He did mention civs. A long time ago I thought about creating an updated drow tileset but I'm such a bad pixel artist that I didn't get very far. I might give that another shot.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 11:48:46 am »

Hello there, I'm glad someone has decided to try and update Rhen's drows for the latest version of DF.
I was trying to update things myself at the weekend, using elements from the elf profile to fill in the blanks that were needed, and had some success, after reading some of your posts.
I couldn't get the drow outcasts entity to work though, it crashed for some reason, so I had to cut them from the modded raws that I am using, to regain familiarity with DF after not playing it for a couple years.
Something that I've noticed, but which I've read seems to be an issue with the latest version of DF in general, was that I can't butcher goblins, or other sapient creatures? That was a bit of a surprise - in previous versions of Rhen's drow mod, I had a tendency to build quite the goblin leather industry and goblin bone craft industry.
Still getting used to things, but will keep an eye on this, to see how it develops.

by the way, you haven't included your latest link to your work, this one: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12819
I think version 0.40 accidentally broke butchering intelligent creatures in fortress mode. Toady knows of the problem, but doesn't even know how he caused it and since it's not something you can do in vanilla he hasn't put much effort into figuring out how to fix it.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 06:07:10 pm »

Hello there, thank you for pointing out the missing link!
I am not playing the mod enough I think, I didn't meet the deep drow yet, but I don't have crashes with them: are you using "my" file or are you modifying the original along the same lines?
On the goblin-butchering thing, I am not aware of workarounds to have it working: I'll add them to the files if I find out how.

On the scope of the project: don't expect much development on my part, I will go with the time I have available and as a total amateur.
I do not claim exclusivity on what I see as Rhenaya's work though: feel free to add, improve, suggest, propose changes to the files, to include in "my" pack or in your own version of it.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 03:38:21 pm »

are you using "my" file or are you modifying the original along the same lines?

Modifying the originals, along similar lines. I saw that you got the drows to work, by changing their default site from dark fortress to detailed cave, so I put that into the things I was working with, and it runs fine.

but the odd thing I found was that the drow outcasts entity file would crash dwarf fortress when attempting to generate a new world. Errorlog didn't show anything though, so I was baffled as to why it was happening, so I removed it from the entity file, and it works.

Something else I did, was that I made at least one type of clothing for each body part [FORCED] rather than being [COMMON] or [UNCOMMON], because in several worlds that I generated, I found that the drow civilisation that I had, did not have the ability to make various bits of clothing - e.g. one world, i could not make anything other than war boots as footwear, instead of war boots (which are armour), socks, and normal boots.

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 09:52:25 am »

That migh be a good idea, if problems arise with clothes.

On the non-working parts:
what worked to me was trying to re-write things "from scratch", or at least from outside the 34.11 environment of the mod.
I started with taking working bits -say, a layer bound animalmen entity from the vanilla files - and started modifying them in blocks.
Say, the values, or all the weapons, or all the jobs, or something. Each time generating a world to control if some error was there, "if it stopped working".
Another place to find errors would be comparing the relevant parts of the 43.05 and the 34.11 vanilla objects most similars to the ones you want to design and comparing it with some online diff checker - the first ones from googling will be good enough and free.
And it will tell you what tags you should study firsts in the wiki, to understand what changed and what needs to change in turn.

I hope this helps, I will take note of the clothes thing in next versions of this.

PS: Sorry for that "same lines", I did mean something like your "similar lines", a similar intent, a near idea, not anything - there was no intention of subtext there.

Dark Archon

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mathematician
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 02:53:54 pm »

For some reason, drow civs won't appear in the game: they have extremely low population, or have fallen. What may cause it?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 03:04:43 pm by Dark Archon »
Maybe you are dreaming right now.

"Meh, what's scientific progress without a few dead planets?"

ManuG

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 03:51:51 pm »

Are they around when you set the world generation's end to 25 years or so? Could be, that they don't have enough children to keep up with other races and get overrun i guess...

Dark Archon

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mathematician
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 12:49:20 pm »

Are they around when you set the world generation's end to 25 years or so? Could be, that they don't have enough children to keep up with other races and get overrun i guess...
Yes, they exist in the history, but just die out. How do you make them have more babies, like normal elves do?
Maybe you are dreaming right now.

"Meh, what's scientific progress without a few dead planets?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4