Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: [44.12] Rhenaya's Drow, updated  (Read 24569 times)

Hellzs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Rhenaya's Drow, updated
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2018, 06:21:36 am »

Thank you Mediterraneo. I didn't realize that i was trying to use "Rhenaya's Drow for 44.05 beta 06" after trying different way of adding it to the file only to get stuck at the loading screen. i may had also for got to remove the data and raw file from the more for less file creating more problems unknowingly. i now feel kind of stupid not double checking any of this till you replied back.

being new i must ask if there are any other mods you suggest to help with the rather steep and murderous learning curve?

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2018, 08:40:34 am »

It was confusing in that release, I hope this new one is easier to use - next ones will come without too many options, and hopefully with more intresting features
I don't do much modding, but when I do you can use anything I did for Dwarf Fortress in any non-commercial project. Let me know if you did, you'll make me happy!

Rhenaya's Drow mod forum page

Hellzs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2018, 01:45:19 am »

In one of Rhenaya's updates tot he mod

* new building "spidery" for spinners to produce silk thread out of the silkmilk
* sadly not properly tested yet :x

from what i can find there is no way to get silkmilk, was this removed or never finished and was forgotten over time and updates?

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2018, 08:19:30 pm »

Hello Hellzs,

You made me check, I got scared: yes, the silk production chain is perfectly in function, silkmilk is where it should in the spiders' raws, the spiders are in place too, everything is fine.

You can milk your Giant Drowspiders as it should at the Farmer's Workshop - you will need a bucket for every use.
You should build a Spidery - you will need a mechanism
You should order at the Spidery to spin thread from silkmilk.

It works for me.

If your Farmer's Workshop are clogged with normal milk from other animals or with normal Drowspider's venom, try using burrows and a dedicated Farmer's Workshop only for the Giant Drowspiders.

EDIT: spelling and a clarification

EDIT 2:  Hellz was (sort of) right. Silkmilk production can get stuck sometimes, at least if you use dfhack labor managers (as I do).
If that happens:
put your milking on repeat; activate workflow; set workflow to produce "any milk" - any quantity will do, even the default one.
That should periodically force the labor to start, and it unlocked milk production for me in every occasion the problem happened.
When it happens, though, it appears to happen to milk too, so I'm quite sure it has not to do with silkmilk for itself, but possibly with the priority of the milking labors being low.
It didn't happen to me while not using dfhack (I seldom play without, I must admit) and I bet (but can't prove) that using the manager could help with the problem if it presents itself - it never did to me, but I do play (and test) with dfhack most of the time.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:01:55 am by Mediterraneo »
I don't do much modding, but when I do you can use anything I did for Dwarf Fortress in any non-commercial project. Let me know if you did, you'll make me happy!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2018, 02:28:09 pm »

First of all, I've played with this mod for quite a while now, and I gotta say it's fantastic. Thank you for keeping it up to date.
As a player, I can confirm that silkmilk reactions are working just fine.

Second, the [c] screen tells me I can't send raids without a leader, but not a single noble seems to count as a leader. If there's a token for this, it should be on the house priestess.

Third, a few tiny oversights:
-outpost administrator is called "outpot administrator"
-rothe give sheep milk
-giant drowspider venom is called "cave drow spider venom"

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2018, 06:44:54 pm »

Thanks for the feedback SQman!

On your points:
third of all, you are definitely right.
Version 0.8 to be released when ready will have your corrections in, thank you. That part is (and actually was, I promise!) already corrected

Second: I think that the problem could be with the lack of on site [RESPONSIBILITY:MILITARY_STRATEGY] and [RESPONSIBILITY:MILITARY_GOALS] tokens on [SITE] positions.
I agree that both should be tried on the House Priestess.
With those modification I was able to designate a raid - tomorrow I will check more thoroughly, assigning squads and seeing if they actually go.

First: thanks for the support and help!

These changes might warrant a closer and smaller 0.8 release than I thought - I am playing with some ideas but we will see if it matures on me.

EDIT: Ok, I was still awake in the night so I quickly packed a 0.7b version, with the corrections SQman pointed as needed, one that he didn't point out and the House Priestess tweaks that should be permitting full use of the raid feature.

EDIT2: Well, while I am still the last poster, I added a new update, 0.7c, with my first tileset added to the ones designed for Rhenaya back in the day: more will follow, updating the mod's looks to the 32x32 age.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 07:27:35 am by Mediterraneo »

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 04:11:22 pm »

0.8 out, with 32x32 pixel full profession tilesets for the drow and sets for all of the creatures in the mod.
Also, new reactions for easier venom, and some tweak on Quaggoth rage proneness (now they should rage out sometime) and on the creature availability: less surface stuff clogging the drow roster.

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2019, 04:50:05 pm »

I think with your talent and great productivity it is necessary to do not an alternative to one civ of elves, but different tribes-kind. In a sense, your version and the version based on ferric elves are not mutually exclusive.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:05:36 pm by Vordak »

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2019, 02:14:16 pm »

Hello Vordak!

Thanks for the compliments, they are worth a lot coming from you!
I'm sure you recognized your swords (whole and in pieces) and weapons, and color palettes all around "my" elves (and quaggoths, and driders...) Let me take the occasion to publicly thank you for your work too, and for being so helpful and sharing to newbies asking questions to you, it was a big help for me.

I totally agree, nothing is mutually exclusive!
I feel that I need to work on these drow personality a bit more: more creatures, some magic, their goddess and her demons... ...while I learn how to, trying to copy from the best as I did with your graphic, and Meph's and ObsidianSoul's and Denzi's).

The one thing that worries me is the productivity, lol, I should have less time now that the holydays are well over. At least I hope so... ;)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2019, 03:42:31 pm »

It's really nice to see this is still being worked on, and seems to work well with the current version of DF.

It's really good for there to be multiple kinds of civilisation entities for the different races - I've been doing a bit of that for my own stuff, different types of human civilisations for temperate & tropical biomes, with different weapon and clothing fashions, that kind of thing.

I recently had a thought for my own personal modifications, related to how foreign scholars and such often come to visit the libraries that my drow build. Elf scholars and entertainers and so on. My thought being that these citizens, if they drink particular drow beverages, might be transformed from an elf to a drow, and thus eligible to marry a natural drow. I'm not really familiar with a lot of the background for drow, so don't know if that's something that features there or not.

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2019, 10:12:00 am »

Actually Kat, there is something about elves being transformed in drow in some parts of the source material!
It is usually linked to curses linked to evil acts, if I remember correctly, but things can be adapted for different medias.
Dungeons and dragons as a medium to tell stories has clearer ideas of where to put their characters in an ethical scale than dwarf fortress has, I think
So maybe dwarf fortress could work with different ideas too.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:14:19 am by Mediterraneo »

bernard2012

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2019, 11:21:18 pm »

When one of my animals spotted a unicorn thief; as soon I click on the unicorn my game crash. Are unicorns suppose to be stealing let alone being a empire.

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2019, 03:43:44 am »

Using your mod with Masterwork, some of your creatures are making their Succubus pet-adding scripts freak out (which stopped when I deactivated succubi), and also making the dfhack exportlegends script crash (before and after I deactivated Succubi), and try as I might I cannot figure out why. I don't really care about the wellbeing of the succubi, but the exportlegends not working is a bit pesky.

I split your creatures into separate files to see who was responsible, and it is the Drider, the Drow Spider, the Giant Drow Spider, and, heartbreakingly, the Rothe.
The Drow themselves, the Quaggoth, and the Riding Lizards are fine.

The error messages aren't super helpful, talking about not being able to read "Cannot read field vector<caste_raw>.1:index out of bounds." but after experimentation with swapping Llama caste section into the Rothe, I'm not convinced it's actually  the caste data that's at fault.

At any rate, it's all a bit above my paygrade, and I hope someone more knowledgeable can solve the mystery.

Edit: OK, that mystery was in fact incredibly obvious. Meph had added some of Rhenaya's creatures to Masterwork, and kept the same IDs which presumably was confusing the heck out of all manner of things.

@Bernard2012 From my investigations through the Drow mod files, trying to solve my issues, I am almost certain that it does not turn unicorns into thieves. Was it maybe being used as a mount by a thief? I've never seen a mounted thief, and it seems counter-productive for sneaking, but could be possible. No idea why it crashed you.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:49:23 am by Arkenor »

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2019, 06:02:55 am »

When one of my animals spotted a unicorn thief; as soon I click on the unicorn my game crash. Are unicorns suppose to be stealing let alone being a empire.

This sounds very much like a raw duplication issue, but this mod shouldn't cause those even with other mods. Were you playing with any other mods?

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2019, 10:30:51 am »

@Arkenor

Hello Arkenor, and thanks for investing time in discovering what's working and what's not here.
Meph's Masterwork once included Rhenaya's work, there may be some duplications.
As I am working on some creatures' revamp, I hope to be able to prevent at least some of those duplications by changing the files - Riding Lizards were Giant Lizards in Rhenaya's old files, I changed the name because of the appearence of the giant animal variations.
She choose a single creature to represent surface-ghost and deep rothe, as she chose one for both the four legged and two legged riding lizards versions. She used had the drow use the common domestic animals and there was no mean to tailor the creature considered domestic by each civilization back then.
There are now means to do so, and in the next version I will include some more underdark creature: that will be useful for this because separating the rothe in surface-ghost-deep rothen will result in differently named files for each of them, preventing conflicts with other mods still using the original Rhenaya's files, without needing any work on the other modder's part nor on the final user.
Thank you for both identifying a problem and finding a solution (that also goes in a direction I was already going!)
Changing at least the the names of the spider too could be rather easy, I will see if that's the best - for now I was struck considering how to best fill of meat the shrieker (represented as creatures) and to make the sword spiders able to hurt their enemies with their swords.

I have no idea about how to tackle Succubus's scripts though, maybe you can ask Boltgun himself both on its succubus thread in the Masterwork forum page or in the general modding forum, he has another one for its standalone Succubus version. It is a while I don't play his mod with drow in it, I must admit, and I never played succubus in Masterwork.

@SQman and @Bernard2012
I really don't know what the issue can be with the unicorn: if you are playing with vanilla files and this mod only, the unicorn should not be an item thief, nor spawn 'empires'. This mod doesn't touch vanilla files, including the creature_standard.txt file that relates to unicorns.
Thanks for lending a hand SQman!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4