Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beerfates, the Bandit Brewery  (Read 726 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beerfates, the Bandit Brewery
« on: April 08, 2017, 04:06:32 pm »

My name is Sumost Twoblunts, and I am a forest bandit. Or, at least, I used to be, until the King posted a gigantic bounty on my head for looting one of his royal caravans. Pretty soon I got word that a horde of treasure-seekers was headed my way, and although none of them knew exactly where I was, it was only a matter of time when half the nation was looking under every stone and behind every bush for Sumost's famed forest gang. I was forced to flee, leaving behind an army of followers, my forest hideout that had taken years to construct, and a pile of loot fit for a king. Literally, since we stole it from him.

I called upon my followers to join me. I was surprised that even six of them stepped up to ride with me; I held no illusions about where the loyalty of these thieves came from. Those six were

Boki, the thick-skinned ranger who preferred silver over gold,

Uzin, the obsessive-compulsive bookkeeper with whom I had entrusted the finacial side of my operations,

Oli, the axe-weilding ox-of-a-man who always insisted that he would much rather be writing poetry about unicorns,

Rorte, who was an unremarkable axefighter but truly the most kind, respectable and genuine friend I've ever had,

Ibu, an archer who never stopped thinking about the big picture. He once proclaimed, after a few too many beetroot wines, that "I personally don't respect a society that has settled into harmony without debate and strife." He also likes really big turtle shells.

and Pestrat, the introspective spearman who seems overly-conflicted about every action he takes.

With nothing but our weapons, our packs, and our horses, we left the hideout in the dead of night. I had spent 7 years accumulating the treasure we left behind, but avoiding prison or death is priceless. I did, however, stash a hefty bag of gold coins in the bottom of my pack. Should we manage to survive long enough to make it somewhere people aren't trying to kill us on sight, the coins might prove useful.

(Click for the full map)

We eventually found ourselves camped outside a dwarven fortress, lazily watching the ox-carvans plod by. Uzin, bless her brain, casually mentioned something about the absurd quantity of alcohol consumed by a single dwarven fortress. She performed a little thought experiment: "If a single fortress consumed even 25 barrels of spirit a day, you could multiply that by the days in a year and get close to 8400 barrels a year. If you're selling those barrels at 100 a pop, that's 840000 bucks being spent every annum. That's more than three times as much wealth as we had ever even owned back in TNOM.

And that's just one fortress. These mountains are full of them. There's no way the current demand for alcohol is being met."

It was then and there that I decided to open a brewery. With the last of our coins, I purchased a wagon-cart and some draft animals, a pick-axe, a wood axe, some cheap food, a bundle of leather, and most importantly the seeds for our enterprise.

I also inquired about the best methods for brewing but every dwarf I asked got this strange look in their eye and wouldn't say a thing. I got the feeling that I wasn't the first to try this sort of thing, but that couldn't discourage me. The pastoral lifestyle was just what my crew needed after almost a year on the road, and an operational brewery would provide the income for a luxury here and there. Before I left I ensured that the local trade guild knew about our plans, and the dwarf behind the counter promised us a caravan by the end of the first year.

We threw a celebration at the tavern, and thanks to the cheap plump helmet wine we all got massively drunk by the time we crawled into bed. And so, the next morning, we set out to find our new home with the worst hangovers of our lives.

We made good progress across the grasslands, fording streams as needed, but somehow took a wrong turn at the mountain range known as The Dented Barbs and ended up at the edge of a white-sand desert. Realizing our mistake, we went to turn around and broke the axle. Thus decided the location of our new brewery: Beerfates. We had taken to calling ourselves The Wayward Bandits, so Oli came up with a little logo for ourselves. It was the seven of us lifting a keg high into the air, laughing all the while.

Standing there in the sand, with the wooded stream at our backs and the white dunes ahead, I started laughing. It was actually going to happen.

Rorte gave me a look before asking, "What now, Sumost? What do we do first?"

Huh. I hadn't really given it much thought. "Well, we need someplace to sleep tonight. We can get water from the stream, but these dried turtles aren't going to last us very long. We should gather some food from the forest. The earlier we sow those seeds we brought, the better, and we're going to need to construct a still. . ."

So it began.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beerfates, the Bandit Brewery
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 03:06:53 pm »

I thought best to segregate our tasks according to ability. I had spent some time around a woodworking guild during our  stay with humans east of the mountains, and cobbled together a makeshift toolbench. With a flat enough workspace, properly aligned measures, and a sharp axe, I could manage to make just about anything we might need.

I gave Oli the pickaxe. He grunted approval and got to work digging a cellar.

Boki was the obvious choice when it came to foraging, since she already knew quite a bit about the subject. "I'm up for it, really, but you should know that I'm not very familiar with the plants around here. I recognize a few, but the majority are foreign and potentially poisonous." Good. To the rest of us, a leaf was a leaf, a root was a root, and a strange bulbous growth sprouting from the trunk of a cactus was just a strange bulbous growth. I trusted Boki to make the right call.

Ibu said he would help out by moving stuff around, since he didn't know how to do much but talk politics and shoot things.

Rorte surprised us by claiming to have skill in masonry and architecture; she had apparently been studying the subjects before getting caught up in banditry. However, until we could dig a safe quarry, there was no stone to be carved and not much use for her skill. For now she was also put on hauling duty.

Uzin said she would help move stuff, but frankly she isn't all that strong or fast or really all that motivated to do physical labor. I know she'll prove herself once we get a simple office set up. I can see her mind already working over the numbers, counting stockpiles and calculating potentials.

Pestrat was fairly useless in almost every regard, so we told him to go catch some fish. He spoke:

"When I was so young,
my song yet unsung,
a fish was just a fish.

Now that I am old,
my words sit in bold,
and yet
a fish is still a fish."

Then he trundled off to the muddy bank. I don't know what that means.

---

The air feels like summer, though the actual season is still a month away. The desert heat is oppressive, with the mirror-like white sand doubling the rays of the high sun. It was never this hot back home in the shaded forests.

Following the designs crafted by Rorte, we constructed a small cabin, with two floors and a shallow undercellar that sits mostly empty. We cut down almost every tree this side of the stream to build it, excepting the custard-apple tree that is just now blooming in the late springtime. We didn't have enough wood to finish the roof so I asked Rorte to design a small bridge to cross to the north bank.

A bridge is really a simple construction, just a few anchors and covered crossbeams, but takes quite a bit of physical labor. I was sinking a post when I happened to glance down the waterfall and spotted something monstrous: a gigantic, grey thing swimming just below the surface. I dropped my tools and ran to get Boki. We carefully approached the cliff that overlooked the conflux of the two streams and cnuck a peek over the edge. The beast was not alone, in fact there was a whole herd of them casually moving about beneath us. Boki didn't recognize them, which put me on edge because Boki had never not known the name, grazing habits, trail signifiers, and dung consistencies of every animal we had ever encountered together.

She suggested we keep our distance, though she pointed out that they looked to be eating the grasses that grew underneath the water. Later, the creatures moved off downstream. When they swam as a group, their size was so great that the resulting wake rode up the bank and soaked the surrounding soil.

---

For now, we survive off of silty riverwater, cracked river-mussels harvested by Pestrat, and the occasional wild fruit that Boki deems safe to eat. We could use a well. Our gang seems content with the state of life, but things aren't amazing by any definition of the word.

Uzin and Oli have been spending a lot of time together.

I'm not sure what brought them together, but it seems like one of those relationships you're better off not trying to explain. I always imagined that getting close to Uzin would be like pairing up with an almanac, and I never took Oli for being the sensitive type. Seeing them together kind of gets to me, though. Some nights I can't sleep and go out to walk. I sit by the stream and feel rather lonely, thinking of everything I don't have, everything I haven't done, everyone I haven't met. I want so much from this life, but most of all I want someone to share it with.

One night I fell asleep out by the water, and woke up to Pestrat standing over me. He had this great smile on his face, the grin that he gets when he's about to say something weird and poetic. He looked me right in the eyes and asked

"You're in my way, Sumost. Can you move over a bit?"

I glanced left and right, surveying thousands of feet of potentially-musselbearing riverbank in less than a second, then sighed and rolled over. Sometimes it's easier to just not say anything.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 01:28:52 pm »

With the bridge completed we had access to more plants, more trees, and more space to stretch our legs. We didn't really have much time to spare, with all the work we were rushing to complete, and even when we did have the time to relax the most exciting thing any of us could do was take a walk. The dense woods of the far side of the stream were wonderful to wander through, however, and I soon grew to love the time spent inside that forest.

Dallisgrass and satintail carpeted the floor, and occasionally you might find a patch of dog's tooth sprouting from underneath one of the massive shale boulders that peered out from the undergrowth. You could often spot one of the tiny speckled lizards sleeping in a patch of sun that had somehow managed to poke it's way through the canopy. Monarch butterflies would flit about my head in a friendly, aimless sort of way. I had never stopped to think about the motivations of butterflies, I mean I never really had the time, but after a number of quiet hours of intense contemplation I can confidently say that I still have not a clue.

Boki reported all sorts of tasty discoveries, including peppers, muskmellons, horned melons lentils, kumquats, sweet potatoes, and something called a "Bambara groudnut," which sounded like something out of a book I read as a child. As the days grew warmer, different kinds of plants were appearing and so Boki was spending almost every day foraging through the tangled undergrowth. She also reported finding a hive of honeybees! The bees had built a great nest in the hollow of a tree stump, and seemed to be doing quite well for themselves. I made sure to mark a trail to the hive since I had heard great things about the profitability of mead.

We also started on the quarry, finally. Our goal is to dig up enough sand to reach bedrock, and from there we'll rip out rough chunks of solid stone to haul up to the surface and carve into more manageable pieces. We can then use the rock blocks to build walls, bridges, floors, and roads, and all of those things are going to be necesary if we ever want to claim status as a reputable dealer of fine alcohol.

---

We struggled at first to even dig a simple hole, since the sand was predisposed to, well, being sand, and collapsed inward every time the hole sunk more than a few feet. I split a few logs into slats that, when anchored against the sandy slopes by stiff cross-boards, did the trick of keeping the sand out of the pit. Oli then made significant progress, taking only a few weeks to churn through the many layers of sand, and he finally hit a cool layer of granite around the 1st day of Summer. Rorte had designed the open-air quarry with a central, spiralling ramp, which made it pretty easy to retrieve the huge speckled chunks of granite from the most recently mined layer.

At one point, Oli struck a vein of some purple stone.

He called Rorte over to take a look, and when she couldn't place it they asked me if I knew anything. I didn't, so I asked Uzin just in case it might have been worth something to someone at some point (which makes it something she would definitely know about) but she didn't know and pretty soon all seven of us were standing around the vein scratching our heads. Eventually we decided to mine it out and save it somewhere just in case it turned out to be highly-sought after, or something like that. Oli got back to work. Later, the stone was all but forgotten after Oli struck a recognizably-shiny cluster of Prase Opal.

---

A few weeks into summer, Ibu spotted a strange group approaching from the south. We didn't know who they were or what they were doing here, so we avoided them at first, hiding in our cabin and barring the door. We watched them walk into our camp from a gap in the wall of the second floor. As they closed the distance, we could see their lumbering yaks were loaded down with barrels, bolts of cloth, and buldging satchels full of other goods. At this point we realized how silly we were and left the cabin to greet the traders.

The liason's name was Oli Ongicusith and had heard about us through a contact in the dwarven empire, so he had taken a risk and travelled the long journey just to sample what we had brewed so far. This was a surprise, certainly, and would have been an awfully good opprotunity to spread the word about our fine brew. The fact we had no beer to trade soured things a little.

"Uh, uhm, I'm sorry to disappoint but we haven't really, um, brewed anything at this point in time. We haven't even, uh, built the still yet."

"Huh. Well, do you have anything else to trade?"

"Well, there's this this strange purple stone we dug up, does that interest you?"

"Let's have a look."

I hauled up that mysterious chunk of magenta and set it next to one of his yaks.

"Well, what is it?"

"I was hoping you could tell me that."

"It's certainly purple. If you had three of them I would trade you, let's see here, a couple of fish or maybe a few seeds. . ."

"Hold on, I've got an idea!" I really did have an idea. I quickly found Rorte and asked if she could hurriedly carve a statue.

"What should I carve, boss?"

I pointed to Oli, the caravan master, and ordered "Do your best but go quickly, they might leave at any time!"

Rorte worked hurriedly and soon produced the final product: a lifesize depiction of Oli Ongicusith that was accurate in every way, except it was decidely purple.

As we struggled to haul the statue over to the depot, Oli took notice and burst out laughing.

"I thought you folks were supposed to be simple brewers, not sculptors of fine art!"

Oli was greatly pleased and offered nearly 6 times as much for the statue. However, I looked over the goods and realized that we didn't really need much of anything at this point. I didn't want to let the statue go to waste, so I offered to set up the statue in a permanent position next to the depot, in honor of Oli and his generosity.

He was kind of shocked, exclaiming "I've never been greeted with such hospitality, even in the wealthiest of towns! I'll be sure to come back next year." What could have been a great disaster was been successfully averted with just a single stone.

We asked the traders to bring, next time they visited, some

hemp cloth for bags, clothes, and uniforms.
wood, in case we run out of easily-felled trees.
iron bars, for our front gate as well as ammunition for our bows
seeds of all varieties, in case our current stock rots away
turtles, a special request by Ibu
and parchment sheets for Uzin's recordkeeping fetish

In turn, they promised to pay us half-again for any beer we sold to them.

"Though, if we show up again and you still haven't any alcohol to purchase, I'm not certain I can justify making a third trip. Your brewery is just so far out of the way, and having to dodge all those goblin patrols doesn't help much."

"Goblin patrols? What are you talking about? Are there goblins nearby?"

"Well, yes. West of the mountains is goblin country, didn't you know? This area has probably the densest population of dark fortresses anywhere on the continent, maybe even the world. Hell, only two days west of here the land sinks into a gruesome pit full of the evil creatures."

"Oh, no . . ."

"To put it bluntly, you've settled right on their doorstep. I'm surprised you're still alive. In any case, I hope you're around come next summer - I have nothing but high hopes for Beerfates!"

With that, Oli and his caravan left the way they had come. The rest of us, energized from the encounter, got back to work.

---

A few days later I was walking through the forest and came up to the western riverbank, which took the form of a short, sandy cliff. The western river had a stronger flow and would be dangerous to swim in (and those grey beasts might still be lurking below), so I still wasn't sure how we were to get a bridge across the thing. As I sat pondering this dilemma, I looked up and saw two butterflies. But the scale wasn't right. . .

"WHAT THE FUCK, THOSE ARE HUGEEEE!"

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 06:41:25 am »

Nice
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane