Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: ROGUELIKE 2: Sword of Azirkan Turn 8: Our Heroes Beat-Down One of Their Own, heh  (Read 18777 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@

ROGUELIKE 2: Sword of Azirkan is a game about storming dungeons with a bunch of other untrustworthy tomb-robbing scum, killing things, and grabbing as much loot as possible before either dying or retreating out of the dungeon to delve another day. Or get wasted by a lich or something.

ROGUELIKE 2 is significantly different from ROGUELIKE 1 in objective. In this game, you have a realistic fighting chance of getting out of the dungeon alive and making return trips instead of just trying to burn out instead of fade away and score as many points as you can before you fall down a razor lined chute that leads to another razor lined chute that leads to a tiny room full of mini-dragons. Not to say that won't happen. No promises.

Spoiler: Optional Backstory (click to show/hide)

The Character Sheet:
Code: [Select]
Name:
Race:
Class:
HP: HP at 1st level is equal to your CON score. Minimum is 3 (even if you have like 1 CON or something), maximum for elves and wizards and frost sprites is 5.
STR Divide 20 points between these six stats. Maximum 6, minimum 1. Optionally, you can ask for random stats and I'll roll them up instead. On average, you'll get 21 points instead of 20, but it could be more or less.
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
Money: (Starts at nothing)
Equipment:
Backstory: Optional but encouraged. You get 15 stat points instead of 20 if you write more than 20 words.

Spoiler: Races (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Classes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: A Guide to Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Your Suggestions (click to show/hide)

Current situation: Our heroes begin their quest in Castle Inaluct, a large stone keep nestled in the foothills of the Deathskull Peaks, a mountain range known for unique and unsettled/unsettling vistas. The keep is notable for its sprawling antediluvian basements, and for the fact that it's at this point pretty much a town that all live inside the keep and live off the plunder carted up from the basement by teams of adventurers. The guy who currently runs the show levies a tax on things brought up, but also provides some free basic services and equipment. He has a large cadre of armed thugs and some loyal adventurers keeping the peace and enforcing his rule, but otherwise is totally hands off.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:32:35 pm by inaluct »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ROGUELIKE 2: Sword of Azirkan
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 11:58:12 am »

Character List:
Spoiler: Sir Lootington (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Akashir Azirkan (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jacob Diamonds (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Deikos of High Rock (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fath Allosoltar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Quack-Quack The Token (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dark Feather (click to show/hide)

KILL SCOREBOARD
2 kills: Akashir Azirkan (honorable mention: punched out a snow elf)
2 kills: Quack Quack
1/2 kill: Lootington killed Jacob but it got retconned by the thief's reroll ability.

TREASURE SCOREBOARD
an old mace: Quack Quack

LOWEST LEVEL DELVED
Everybody's on level one right now except for the talking dog outside.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:38:08 pm by inaluct »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 02:49:22 pm »

I'm reserving a character; I'll be making it myself.

An idea for race: Frost sprites.

For the most part, they're like elves, at least in body shape; probably a little bit smaller, and with hair and skin ranging from light blues to white and light greys.

The most notable thing would be their inborn ice magic: each and every frost sprite has some degree of ice magic, used for various things, such as imbuing their weapons with cold, slowing their opponents, or shooting bolts of ice. In addition, rather than being harmed by cold iron, they have an affinity for it, which allows them to better channel their natural magics when in contact with it (it is easy to see why they are disliked and distrusted by other fairies). However, they are vulnerable to heated metals (i.e. any metal that has been put in a fire less than one day ago), which burns not only their bodies (as if it was only just taken out of the flames), but also their ability to use their natural magics.

In addition, due to their smaller frames, they are unable to use the heaviest of the large weapons (i.e. warhammers are a no), and receive a -1 to using other large weapons.

They can speak Fae, Common, Elemental, and the languages of animals native to the cold lands.

Their senses are not quite as sharp as an elf's, but certainly better than a human's.

They are immune to being frozen, and resilient to any effect that restricts their movement.

When rolling for HP, they reroll all 6s and half of all 5s (flip a coin for the latter).

You can, of course, change this stuff, based on how you feel it needs to be balanced.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 03:50:05 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 03:31:25 pm »

I'm in!

Name: Sir Lootington
Race: Human
Class: Wizard
HP:... You roll this I guess.
STR 1
DEX 6
CON 1
INT 7
WIS 6
CHA 1
Money: Nothing.
Equipment: Magical cane staff(Maybe Usefull?), Mysterious wizardly robes(Light Armour).
Backstory: A mysterious wizard that just turned up one day. Noone knows much about him... yet.
Spells: Detection, [Random Spell here.]

I have a small problem with this. There is only one spell that is actually offensive.
Note: I am not entirely sure if I did everything correctly, tell me if I messed up at all.
Also to note: Noone has seen Sir Lootington's face yet because of his robe's hood covering them, and it litterally never seems to fall off.

Edit: Fixed.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:31:53 am by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 04:09:19 pm »

Shave one point off of one of those attributes, TankKit, you added wrong.

Frost sprites are in, but the ice magic ability is most likely not going to allow them to shoot an infinite amount of icicles or whatever, because magic is a more resource intensive thing here. Like, a first level Myrmidon gets to cast one spell... Per day. I'd be cool with writing up a table of ice magic abilities to differentiate to what exact degree the sprite is able to use it, though. Like a 3d6 roll with results going from things like 3 - Artificially refrigerate food in your pack, to 18 - Potentially uncontrollably powerful manifestations of blizzards and cold rays and that sort of thing.

How does that sound? Or we could do an alternate spell list and have them pick ice magic spells off of it.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 04:18:13 pm »

Frost sprites are in, but the ice magic ability is most likely not going to allow them to shoot an infinite amount of icicles or whatever, because magic is a more resource intensive thing here. Like, a first level Myrmidon gets to cast one spell... Per day. I'd be cool with writing up a table of ice magic abilities to differentiate to what exact degree the sprite is able to use it, though. Like a 3d6 roll with results going from things like 3 - Artificially refrigerate food in your pack, to 18 - Potentially uncontrollably powerful manifestations of blizzards and cold rays and that sort of thing.

How does that sound? Or we could do an alternate spell list and have them pick ice magic spells off of it.
Well yeah, of course it wouldn't be infinite. I was thinking at best an encounter power, with relatively low-power magics, i.e. the things I mentioned (those are low-power, right?)

Anyway, I was thinking of playing a thief, so I was mostly planning on slowing my enemies or making difficult locks cold and brittle for using more... blunt "lockpicks".

Also, what's your opinion on hook swords, parrying daggers, hand crossbows, and shields used as detachable back armor?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 04:20:06 pm by Glass »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 04:44:38 pm »

Well yeah, of course it wouldn't be infinite. I was thinking at best an encounter power, with relatively low-power magics, i.e. the things I mentioned (those are low-power, right?)

Anyway, I was thinking of playing a thief, so I was mostly planning on slowing my enemies or making difficult locks cold and brittle for using more... blunt "lockpicks".

Also, what's your opinion on hook swords, parrying daggers, hand crossbows, and shields used as detachable back armor?

The lock idea is cool and I'm totally on board with that. Making a room passively colder to slow down enemies works too, but I'd like to keep it in line with what might plausibly actually happen if the room suddenly got cold. Like, they aren't going to flash blue and suddenly slow down or something like that (although, there are higher level spells that freeze opponents and ones that do make them slow down, maybe frost sprites should get a bonus with those). Think the kind of thing that might have an immediate effect on a reptile or might distract other monsters that you're trying to sneak past, or maybe slow them down a little if they've been cold for a long time.

I'm in favor of all of those things. Feel free to suggest actual in game benefits and possibly drawbacks to using them, too. I was thinking the shield would make sense for protecting you from backstabs, and of course eating up some damage if something hits you in the back under whatever other circumstance.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 05:14:12 pm »

((Finally! It returns!))

Spoiler: Akashir Azirkan (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 05:34:33 pm by Mallos »
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 05:28:13 pm »

Rule change: HP at 1st level is equal to your CON score. Minimum is still 3, maximum for elves and wizards and frost sprites is 5. Sir Lootington got grandfathered in because I rolled his hitpoints before this, so he got an extra point.

For the record, this was prompted by me rolling Azirkan's HP and getting a 2, bumping it up to 3, and feeling that this was kind of lackluster for someone who sank 4 points into a statistic that does nothing if not make you healthy and durable.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:55:13 pm by inaluct »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 07:02:33 pm »

Name: Jacob Diamonds
Race: Frost Sprite
Class: Thief
HP:
STR(-1) 3 (so, 2)
DEX 6
CON(-1) 3 (so, 2)
INT 3
WIS 3
CHA 2
Money: None
Equipment: Leather armor, clothing, helmet, etc. (handmade), cloth hood, crow masquerade mask, lockpicking set, hammer, chisel, round leather shield w/ razor edge (use as back armor or chakram), buckler, at least 5 knives of varying makes and shapes (such as serrated cutting/hunting knives, small throwing knives, near-shortsword daggers (usable as machetes!), and his prized parrying dagger), two hand crossbows (w/ bolts) (NOT a two-handed crossbow, but TWO one-handed crossbows), hook sword (heirloom), cold iron gauntlet (right hand, AKA casting hand (Jacob's left-handed)) (sorry if this is too much stuff...)
Backstory: A hunter by trade, Jacob has always had a knack for getting what isn't his; now, he searches for treasure.

Regarding the equipment ideas:
Parrying daggers are basically dex shields, though with some limitations (you're not blocking a warhammer with a parrying dagger :P); they... can be used as weapons, though generally as a last resort.
Hook swords could allow for... well, hooking your opponent's weapons or limbs (hook the ankle, topple enemy, lay into them with extreme prejudice).
Hand crossbows would deal less damage and have less range than a normal crossbow, but doesn't need a break to reload each turn, and can be wielded with a shield (well, a small one, like a buckler), though not another weapon (you still need to be able to reload).
The gauntlet is, of course, for channeling, although it would need to be taken off for delicate thieving operations.
And the masquerade mask... the masquerade mask is there just because it's cool.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 07:58:32 pm »

Regarding the equipment ideas:
Parrying daggers are basically dex shields, though with some limitations (you're not blocking a warhammer with a parrying dagger :P); they... can be used as weapons, though generally as a last resort.
Hook swords could allow for... well, hooking your opponent's weapons or limbs (hook the ankle, topple enemy, lay into them with extreme prejudice).
Hand crossbows would deal less damage and have less range than a normal crossbow, but doesn't need a break to reload each turn, and can be wielded with a shield (well, a small one, like a buckler), though not another weapon (you still need to be able to reload).
The gauntlet is, of course, for channeling, although it would need to be taken off for delicate thieving operations.
And the masquerade mask... the masquerade mask is there just because it's cool.

I like all of these ideas. Shields in this game are all fairly similar; they're +1 AC across the board. +1 AC is a lot. There will definitely be situational bonuses and penalties to using something like a parrying dagger rather than a traditional shield. Feel free to speak up if you think one should apply in some situation. Hook swords will probably involve a contest of STR or DEX vs STR or DEX, whichever is better in either case.

Also, note on money: You're assumed to be able to afford and acquire whatever mundane and inexpensive items you need, but we'll just reserve the money field on the character sheet for fancy big deal money like gold coins.

Expect an intro post for the castle with the option to enter the dungeon whenever you're ready some time early tomorrow evening. Still taking players; the more the merrier.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ROGUELIKE 2: Sword of Azirkan (3/?)
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 08:04:18 pm »

Will the Frost Sprites be added to the races sheet, or just be there in my post for people to notice?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 08:14:48 pm »

I'll add them in at some point, most likely when I do turn 0.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 08:22:30 pm »

Ok.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 08:36:39 pm »

Spoiler: Knightly Things (click to show/hide)

May I suggest a marksman class?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:52:55 pm by Rethi-Eli »
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13