Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25

Author Topic: Viking: Sea Wolves-Chapter 1: Fur and Fang  (Read 24845 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Viking: Sea Wolves
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 11:36:52 am »

I think im joining.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 12:08:22 pm »

Whoops! Yes you are, fixed my post!
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 05:51:53 pm »

A volley of arrows flew out of the hills to the right, and slammed into the hastily assembled shield wall. Jóra’s eyes widened as an arrow winged its way towards her. She began to dodge out of the way, but was too slow to avoid it. A shield flashed out of the wall, however, and deflected it harmlessly away. Einar flashed a quick grin at his sister, and returned to the shield wall.

Jóra, her heart racing from the close brush with death, grinned as well. She glanced at the tree line where the archers had fired, and her sharp blue eyes picked out a grizzled sergeant shouting out orders to the archers. She nocked her arrow, drew back, and let loose in one swift motion. The arrow flew straight and true, tearing through the sergeant’s throat and thudded into the tree behind him. The enemy archers paused in dismay, and quickly turned to panic as the arrows from the six archers under her command winged their way towards their targets. Jóra’s next arrow slammed into a brave archer who tried to get a shot off, knocking him off his feet into the dirt. Her grin grew further, and her eye’s searched for the next target.

On the left flank, Frømund Thormodsson faced the footmen charging out of the woods, his men assembled the shield wall firmly, and each man was grimly determined to sell his life dearly, if need be. The footmen charging them wore gambesons, dirty and stained, and wielded a mix of spears and axes. Hardly better than peasants, he thought grimly. They had no idea what awaited them.

Once the footmen were 15 feet away from reaching the shield wall, Sihylde and her band of raiders burst out between the gaps in the shield wall. Each was armed with a battle axe, and each one a giant among men. But each eye was drawn to Sihylde. Screaming a war song to Crom, her long fiery braid flying behind her, she crashed into the suddenly faltering southerners. Her first swing of her war hammer crushed the head of a footmen, turning it into fine red paste. Her backhand smashed through a spear and crushed the chest of the man trying desperately to block her attack. She swung about her furiously, and with each swing death came crashing down. Next to her, an armored swordsman blocked one of her raider’s swings, and stabbed him through the chest. Screaming with rage, Sihylde launched a furious array of blows at the man. The swordsman desperately blocked each blow, and finally found an opportunity to deliver a counter attack.

Which was when Frømund and his shield wall arrived.

Frømund slammed his shield into the armored swordsman, knocking him into the ground, whereupon Sihylde took the opportunity to slam down her hammer into the swordsman helm. He screamed, but was cut short with a sickening squelch.

The rest of Frømund’s shield wall, advanced steadily into the footmen, laying about them with their spears, swords and axes. Frømund blocked a spear with his shield, brushed it aside, and stabbed his sword into the southerner. He tore it out of his chest, pushed his foes corpse back with his shield, and spun with his sword into the neck of the footman next to him, cutting it nearly off. With the counter charge and the shield wall advancing, the footmen were broken on the left flank.
On the right, the southerner’s charge crashed into Einar’s shield wall. Einar grimaced as a spear pierced his shoulder, but rage overtook his pain as he brought his axe down on the arm holding the spear, severing it at the elbow. The footman fell on his knees crying out in pain, but Einar’s axe quickly put an end to that. The charge brought the shield wall back a step or two, but they pushed back the southerner with determination. Einar swung his axe, seemingly unimpeded by the wound seeping blood from his shoulder, into the face of one footman, blocked the swing of an axe from another, crouching down to absorb the force of the blow, and took his axe and slammed it into the knee of his attacker, bringing him down.
The southerners struggled mightily against the shield wall on the right, but though they inflicted several injuries, the wall held firm, and the Vikings’ weapons ran red with blood. The footman then began to flee, their moral devastated by their casualties, and by the arrow fire from Jóra and her archers.

The remnants of the force that ambushed the Sea Wolves are fleeing to the monastery. Though they attacked with nearly 100 men, more than double your force of 40, they now have about the same amount of men as you do now.

Spoiler: The Rolls (click to show/hide)
Sihylde’s squad was the only one to suffer casualties, losing 3 men (1 dead and 2 severely injured).

Einar has a minor injury to his shoulder, he will have -1 effect in combat until it is healed, which will take a day or so of rest.

Captain Kejek was heavily wounded in the fighting, however. It appears an arrow pierced his lungs. He coughs up blood, and looks at the assembled squad leaders.

“One of you will have to take my place, this damn arrow is going to send me to the Allfather’s hall.” He looks at each one of you, blood beginning to pool in his beard. “Each one of you has the potential to be a great captain, so I’ll let you decide for now, and I’m sure Thane Evarson will confirm your position if you desire it. I ask only two things of you” He wheezes in a great gasp. “Three, actually. Set me over on that hill yonder, the one overlooking the monastery. Two, loot and burn this gods-forsaken place to ground. Three, once I pass into the Allfather’s hall, take this sword and give it to my son.”

How do you proceed?
A.   Quickly rush into the town to defeat the remaining footmen (Ferocity, risky)
B.   Reform, and march into the town in formation (Resolve, controlled)
C..   Sneak around the village and enemy position, and attack from the flanks (Cunning, risky)
D.   Something else

Does Sihylde decide to resist the casualties? Does Einar decide to resist against his minor wound in his shoulder?

Spoiler: Suggestions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dark Bargain (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Command (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Resisting damage (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Group Actions (click to show/hide)
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 07:10:40 am »

I blame having played a ton of Banner Saga (and reading its quite deep lore) in my feelings about all these. In which I hope we aren't jerks.

You can tell by how well-kept the beards or hair are. :P

Also I'm quite :D at the state of the game structure. I had no idea you were rolling in 3's (thanks SC belatedly for the rolls explanation); presumably that'd be great...as we're sacrificing our dear Captain, so people can spend a fate point very well here. ._.

Can we sacrifice our dear dead?
One gets fate points back by sacrificing a captive to the Northern gods, done by a Rune Priest or one trained in the proper ways of sacrifice.
Most commanders offer captives as sacrifices for themselves and their men.
It was written 'captive' though, but I'm uncertain on how Fate Points work or are regenerated.
Also you mentioned skill points and...I'm kinda lost where :P Could I also suggest the second post after the OP be filled with our characters' sheets for quicker viewing? (Thanks ahead!)

Seems like we're ALL balanced via Resolve--other than me (3 Cunning) and the Warhammer leader (3 Ferocity) :O

C seems like a good suggestion as it bypasses most of the defenses though, and sets us protagonists against stray fragments. :3
Would await ideas, but I am willing to Command and spend fate for C.

Otherwise, I'm staying behind this turn and spending both my Cunning and Fate to get this Captain back alive :P

No to Dark Bargain

Einar has a minor injury to his shoulder, he will have -1 effect in combat until it is healed, which will take a day or so of rest.
"It's just a flesh wound," I believe? :P Einar is 'back to his normal fighting capability' then. Just negates Slayer.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 07:30:37 am »

No Dark Bargain.

Einar considered the options before them. "We were stronger, better warriors than them when they outnumbered us two to one. Now our numbers are equal, but our skill is still the greater. Let's group up and march together; we can take this town easily, and then pillage whatever we like afterward, as long as we are not hasty."

Einar will go with B, and keep the minor wound; it shouldn't be too great a hindrance.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 07:39:37 am »

"I'll support with a few of ours then; lead the way, we'll protect your flanks."

D for me; do C but target those outliers or possible escapees//archers or other protected areas rather than fully engaging. Skirmish. Make a way to signal the Formation-folks before attacking.

If this may be too messy for the GM; this is treated as "C". :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:02:36 am by Tiruin »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 07:56:24 am »

Einar gave Jora a quick grin before turning his attention to the town. "I'm counting on your aim, meyla."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Lorknis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 08:47:24 am »

No Dark Bargain

Frømund nodded at Einar as he joined the pair discussing what they should do after fending off the initial assault.

"Indeed Einar! These South-Landers are weak and my men and I are fierce wolves on the hunt. I'll try and save you some glory! For the Allfather and Crom!"

A!

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 09:01:32 am »

I blame having played a ton of Banner Saga (and reading its quite deep lore) in my feelings about all these. In which I hope we aren't jerks.

You can tell by how well-kept the beards or hair are. :P

Also I'm quite :D at the state of the game structure. I had no idea you were rolling in 3's (thanks SC belatedly for the rolls explanation); presumably that'd be great...as we're sacrificing our dear Captain, so people can spend a fate point very well here. ._.

Can we sacrifice our dear dead?
One gets fate points back by sacrificing a captive to the Northern gods, done by a Rune Priest or one trained in the proper ways of sacrifice.
Most commanders offer captives as sacrifices for themselves and their men.
It was written 'captive' though, but I'm uncertain on how Fate Points work or are regenerated.
Also you mentioned skill points and...I'm kinda lost where :P Could I also suggest the second post after the OP be filled with our characters' sheets for quicker viewing? (Thanks ahead!)

Seems like we're ALL balanced via Resolve--other than me (3 Cunning) and the Warhammer leader (3 Ferocity) :O

C seems like a good suggestion as it bypasses most of the defenses though, and sets us protagonists against stray fragments. :3
Would await ideas, but I am willing to Command and spend fate for C.

Otherwise, I'm staying behind this turn and spending both my Cunning and Fate to get this Captain back alive :P

No to Dark Bargain

"It's just a flesh wound," I believe? :P Einar is 'back to his normal fighting capability' then. Just negates Slayer.

No problem! Feel free to continue to offer suggestions and your questions!

So for sacrifices, I see that as sacrificing their potential fates, or something, in place of your own. The dead no longer have any fate left, so you cannot sacrifice them. You get more fate back from how well you are 'attached' to an enemy. I don't have a hard and fast rule for this, so its open to discussion. For example, a nameless footman captured on the battlefield would probably give you one, maybe 2 fate points. A monk or priest of The Nameless One, being more recognizable to you, would offer you 3 or 4. An enemy commander would most likely give you a full 5 back. If you decide to sacrifice an ally as a volunteer, Captain Kejek for example, you would get a full 5 back. However, they would only offer themselves as volunteers if they are mortally wounded, and situation on the battlefield is desperate. This is not the case now, so sacrificing him would just anger the men.

Skill points=Experience points, which I haven't added in yet  :P. I'm thinking that you will get experienced based on:
1. Actions you take that match your dominant trait( one will be a flaw, so giving into your vice will give you more XP! ex. Ferocity=rage, Resolve=stubbornness, hard-hearted Cunning=deceitfulness)
2. Loot you gain, the more the better!
3. Maybe the more desperate rolls you take. You can tell me if you want your action to be desperate, that just increases the risk of your action, making the wounds and consequences more severe.

If you decide to take the group action of sneaking, that will give your attack a +1 effect, as they are obviously terrified and attacking from the flanks may be too much for them

As to healing the captain, you are correct in that cunning would be the best choice, but you are not trained in any healing arts, so your effect would be low. Daglar, your company's rune priest, was ordered to take care of the other casultaies first, and then to the captain. You could spend 2 fate to give yourself another die, or improve your effect, however. This action would occupy you from participating in the attack, however.

No Dark Bargain.

Einar considered the options before them. "We were stronger, better warriors than them when they outnumbered us two to one. Now our numbers are equal, but our skill is still the greater. Let's group up and march together; we can take this town easily, and then pillage whatever we like afterward, as long as we are not hasty."

Einar will go with B, and keep the minor wound; it shouldn't be too great a hindrance.
Looks good!

"I'll support with a few of ours then; lead the way, we'll protect your flanks."

D for me; do C but target those outliers or possible escapees//archers or other protected areas rather than fully engaging. Skirmish. Make a way to signal the Formation-folks before attacking.

If this may be too messy for the GM; this is treated as "C". :)

No worries! Part of the fun of GMing is dealing with unexpected actions! Your action is good, I would say controlled risk, standard effect (+1 cause of slayer makes it great though). Only thing I would ask you to add is what stat you want to use, its obvious that you are using cunning because of C, but it'll be good to have the habit in the future once I stop suggesting actions  :)

Only thing I would add is that it is possible for you to directly aid your allies with your actions, giving them an extra die, but it'll cost a fate point for each ally. Not that they will need it, but just so you know.

No Dark Bargain

Frømund nodded at Einar as he joined the pair discussing what they should do after fending off the initial assault.

"Indeed Einar! These South-Landers are weak and my men and I are fierce wolves on the hunt. I'll try and save you some glory! For the Allfather and Crom!"

A!
Haha I like it!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 06:30:36 pm »

"The let us make them Corpses for Crom!"
A im going to attack the town as fast is i can, getting the wounded on the way back.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 08:33:08 pm »

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

Frømund and Sihylde, emboldened by their victory, rush after the fleeing southerners with their men. Armored as they are, the lightly armed and armored footmen finally have an advantage, and the majority of those fleeing make it to the village. The others are cut down.

The village wraps around the monastery, having about 40 wooden buildings. The monastery itself is at the apex of a hill, with the village building up the hill to it. The monastery has a wall about 12 feet wall, made of thick stone. The village itself, however, does not possess a wall.

The southerner’s lack a commander, and while some form haphazard defenses at the perimeter, others rush for the doors to the monastery. Archers climb the houses to provide supporting fire.

Sihylde pounds towards a group of footmen, they shield wall is weak, and will not hold to the fury of your hammer! Suddenly, an arrow whistles from the houses and slams into your chest, halting your charge! You stumble to the ground, and your raiders cry first in dismay, and then in terrible anger as they resume their charge. This is a serious injury… unless you resist it? (If resisted, the arrow doesn’t pierce your armor, and gives you only a nice bruise when it knocks the wind out of you)

Frømund sees Sihylde go down, and the anger burns hot in his chest. With fire in his eyes, he cries “For Crom!!” and leaps into a group of terrified southerners. His sword splits the first mans helm and head in half, and his shield blocked a clumsy swing of an axe as Frømund spins and stabs the axe wielder through the stomach. He is blood and rage, and the foeman fall down like wheat before a scythe. A spear goes through his defenses and strikes his temple, shearing off his helm in a shower of sparks. Frømund merely shakes his head and grins, blood crazed. He quickly slices off the hand of his attacker, and silences his screams with a quick stab through the throat.

Jóra see Sihylde go down, and groans. She sights the shooter down the shaft of her arrow and lets loose, and grins as his body tumbles off the roof. She lets loose a quick succession of arrows, bringing down most of the archers, but a few decide to flee to the monastery. Jóra then spots a man on horseback galloping away from the village. She whispers, “Not today,” to herself and lets an arrow fly. The arrow pierces his side, and you see him slip off the galloping horse and falls to the ground.
   Einar advances with his men, shields up, and eyes as cold as ice as crazed defender rushes him. Einar sidesteps the man’s charge, and brings his axe down into his shoulder, nearly severing the arm. Einar and his squad push into the village square, before the gates of the monastery. Einar takes blow after blow on his shield, but returns each blow in equal measure, his axe splintering shields and chopping through men. One man’s axe gets lodged in your shield, and pulls it down as another brings his sword back for a massive swing. An arrow whistles overhead and into the swordsman eye, sending him to the ground with a cry. Thanks for the help, meyla, Einar thinks to himself as he swings his axe around into the footman’s neck. A quick glance back confirms his suspicions, as Jóra gives him a cheery smile in response from the rooftops. He grins back, and turns around to see the few remaining defenders stumble back into the monastery, and the doors slam behind them.

What do you do?
A.   Wait, they didn’t get that door closed. I spend a fate point, and charge through the door before they could close it (Ferocity, desperate, but great effect!)
B.   (B for backup plan!) I attempt to break the door down (Ferocity, though Resolve could also work.
C.   The stones of the wall are pretty thick, right? I use ( either ferocity, resolve, or cunning) to climb over the walls
D.   Those cowed defenders and weak monks inside are pretty scary, I’m just going to wait outside (booo)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2017, 12:19:55 am »

"Save Sihylde if you can, sister! Fromund, follow me!"

A. Einar charges the doors before they can fully shut, using his shield as a battering ram. Spend additional FP for a second Ferocity die.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2017, 02:40:54 am »

Sihylde Norheim: Ferocity (2,2,1)= (2) (ouch…)
((Oh dear ._. Those rolls))

Also personality wise, I'm imagining all our characters less like bloodthirsty fellows and more like a honed warriors. :P
Also since there's no "E" for "Insert action", I'll try that out if it's okay. If not, as I assume Sihylde's fellows are aiding her out, I'm going with E: "Fire support @A under Einar"

((Said testing is 'hopefully don't let her lost a fate point over this :P))
E; Aid Sihylde to safety and prevent any further injury.

Jora always wondered why her brother was not a commander--he had the charisma, and the spirit for it, but it showed in his personality. He could take care of himself quite well.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2017, 08:43:31 am »

E
Drag the dead archer in to view of the monastery and Nail him to a building.
Then drag a captive in to view and ask the defenders to throw down there arms.
Promise to let them live as well.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2017, 09:36:11 am »

E
Drag the dead archer in to view of the monastery and Nail him to a building.
Then drag a captive in to view and ask the defenders to throw down there arms.
Promise to let them live as well.

Just to check, are you resisting the damage from the arrow? It will cost (5- a roll of your Resolve) in fate points. Also, what stat are you using to convince them?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25