Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25

Author Topic: Viking: Sea Wolves-Chapter 1: Fur and Fang  (Read 24497 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Viking: Sea Wolves
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2017, 09:50:30 am »

No, i'm going to let my raiders do the work while i rest.
I'll use Ferocity to scare them.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2017, 11:32:48 am »

I'm going to highly advise that you do resist the damage. Though the arrow didn't hit anything vital, its still going to take a month or two to really recover. I also rolled the resistance, and you will probably like the result. :P

I agree, Ferocity seems like a perfect choice for this situation.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Lorknis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2017, 12:31:23 pm »

"Ha, finally we shall test our mettle Einar!" Fromund yells at the top of his lungs as he...

A!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2017, 01:03:09 pm »

I'm going to highly advise that you do resist the damage. Though the arrow didn't hit anything vital, its still going to take a month or two to really recover. I also rolled the resistance, and you will probably like the result. :P

I agree, Ferocity seems like a perfect choice for this situation.
Then i'll resist the damage if it's that bad.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2017, 05:57:06 pm »

Spoiler: rolls (click to show/hide)

Einar and Frømund looked at each other, and rushed the door as the last of the defenders streamed inside. One desperately tries to close it before the two warriors try to enter the door, but an arrow from Jóra hits him in the side, and he slumps down by the door. Einar reaches the door first, slamming into a man at the door shield first, knocking him back, and a quick swing from his axe sent another reeling. Frømund came beside him, and his sword flashed once, twice, and a footman was sent reeling with two red slashes in his chest.
   Jóra sent arrow after arrow flying, 3 into the doorway, and two above at the wall where a couple archers tried to provide supporting fire. Each arrow hit their mark, and 5 men dropped.
   The few faltering defenders set up a quick barricade in the hall, throwing a shelfs and tables in it to stop the attackers progress. That and their spears prevented Einar and Frømund from progressing any farther.
   Outside the monastery, Sihylde has the archer who shot her dragged up to the wall of a house. Wincing a bit from the bruise form his arrow, she gave a savage roar as she swung her hammer at the broken spear point make shifted into a spike, driving the point through the body and into the wall. The raiders dropped the arms of the corpse, and it hung limply from the wall. Sihylde steps back and shouts,
   “Surrender now, Southerners, and your lives will be spared!!” She grabs a frightened peasant grabbed from one of the houses by one of her raiders.
   “Answer quickly, or she will pay for your hesitation!”
   A group of monks hurries to the top of the monastery wall, and an older man, his face wizened with age, calls out that they will surrender if you only take their belongings, and leave the rest be.
   The rest of the company jeers at this. They came for loot and thralls. Einar and Frømund are temporarily stymied inside, but the rest of their troops are beginning to enter the monastery. You could probably easily defeat the rest of the defenders, but you might lose a man or two, or sustain injuries.
What do you do?
A.   Accept their surrender. Begin looting.
B.   Pretend to accept their surrender, but once they lay down their arms tie them up to decide what to do with them (Cunning, controlled risk). Begin looting.
C.   Ignore their feeble bleating’s. We are wolves and will take what we want when we finish them off! And then we begin looting!
D.   Something else.

Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2017, 06:03:38 pm »

Einar looked to Fromund. "Captain Kejak asked us to to raze the village. Should we accept their surrender or do we honor his last request?" He knew what he would choose, but he thought he ought to ask his ally his thoughts.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Lorknis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2017, 06:14:49 pm »

"We are wolves Einar, and wolves do not bargain with sheep. We shall raze this village, plunder their wives, and steal their goods!" Fromund says without hesitation.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2017, 06:22:19 pm »

"Then we are in agreement." Einar turned his attention back to the barricades. "Plan of attack?"
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Lorknis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 10:28:26 pm »

"Truly there's only one course of action," He said as he sized up the men surrounded them, "We charge forward!"
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 02:38:31 am by Lorknis »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 10:47:00 pm »

A
"In chain there worth there weight gold, dead there raven food."
(and we can make them pay to avoid being enslaved.)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2017, 10:53:55 pm »

"Then we attack! FORWARD!"

D. Advance forward using caution (Resolve, Defense) and attempt to push the spears aside using our shields to open up the defenders for Fromund's follow-up attack.

Lorknis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2017, 02:41:06 am »

"Then we attack! FORWARD!"

D. Advance forward using caution (Resolve, Defense) and attempt to push the spears aside using our shields to open up the defenders for Fromund's follow-up attack.
After Fromund gets into position with Einar's help, he'll charge down those cowarding sheep in the church!

A!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2017, 09:07:08 am »

D: Do "A" but pacify MOAR. (Basically proceed per our contract given that we're mercenaries, and ensure that our raiders don't do worse than their roles should do [eg Take care of anyone alongside giving word of us to their lord--who would probably be called anyway given the spared-peoples])

As it's not particularly obvious (sorry my messy wording): [Jora's Intent] Try to inquire who had organized this defense. Ease tensions before we raze this place, (Cunning) and make up a cover story which both appeases the elders and other living, and our goal {ie Raze this place because we've detected some evil or something by our Gods}

((Announcing now; I've the idea that we can aim to be the BEST MERCENARIES EVER [like the White Company] or otherwise :P
I mean I feel the same kind of ulterior motive given everyone doing A [and SC doing a defensive disarmament] :O
GM: NICE remake of the OP. Query: Can you add my seax to my inventory? :P))

"Our jobs are done then; take care of the rest of the villagers. We are people of our word. Disarm, the lot of you!" Jora shouted into the monastery.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:09:43 am by Tiruin »

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2017, 09:51:50 pm »

Spoiler: Rolls+Loot (click to show/hide)

Having agreed on a course of action, Einar and two of his shield brothers step forward to set upon dismantling the barricade. The defenders desperately lunge at them with their spears, but Einar uses his shield masterfully to block and deflect the spears, as the two warriors beside him push down the quickly made barricade.

One of the defenders, seeing this, recklessly lunges at Einar, leaping over a table and his spear pierces his armors, but only causes a minor, though painful, cut. ( Resist for -1 fate point, or keep lvl 1 injury).
Einar grits his teeth, and swings his axe into the bold footman’s face, sending his body crashing through the barricade.

Seeing his opening, Frømund charges past him and into the 4 remaining defenders. They are panicked and tired, and two quick blows from his sword send half of them down. Ones spear gets past his shield and into his chest, but Frømund merely shrugs off the blow and sends the attackers head spinning off his shoulders ( thanks Juggernaut). Einar chops down the last one, catching up to him.  Ahead of him is the courtyard, and is filled with both terrified monks and wounded soldiers. Frømund climbs the railing around the courtyard and cries out,

“This is your last chance to surrender! Pray to your god that we will be merciful,”

Jóra steps up beside him.  “We are people of our word, disarm yourselves and we will spare your lives!”

The courtyard is silent as the Northern warriors begin to surround its perimeter. The elderly  monk stands up from the crowd, and looks around at his beaten and frightened comrades. “ We surrender, unconditionally.” He says dejectedly.

Sihylde and her raiders are the first to move to the crowd. She grabs the elderly monk roughly and binds his hands. She shakes her head, “This would have gone better for you had you not resisted,” she tells the monk. The some of the other warriors move in and begin to tie up the other captives. The rest of the warriors begin to whoop, and the looting begins!

After a few hours, the loot is accounted for! 10 coins worth came from the village, in the form of foodstuff and livestock. The prize from the village is an extremely large cow.

There were 16 coins worth of loot in the monastery. The prizes here include a golden, ornate cross, and a finely woven black cloak fit for a duke of these southern lands.

On the battlefield 3 coins of worth of weapons and armor are picked up. The prize from there is a great sword with golden filigree on its handle, used by the armored swordsman.

There are about 50 prisoners, your ship could take about 25 of them. There are 15 monks, 10 wounded footmen, and 25 villagers. You need to decide what to do with them. A regular captive is usually worth one coin, but a monk can be worth 2 due to their ability to read and write. One who can speak your language is worth far more as an interpreter to the right buyer.

Your thane will expect 1/3 of all the loot you receive, and each warrior under your command will expect at least ½ a coin as plunder, but 1 coin is considered a good raiding expedition for them. You can split the loot amongst yourselves now, or you can wait till the end of the expedition.

Jóra goes around talking to the captives. She tries to coax information out of them, but they are in shock from their defeat. You do learn a bit more about the area, known as Averland. It is one of the border countries of the Empire of the south. The seat of Averland’s power is their capital to the south and east, Toloun. You also learn the locations of a few nameless villages in the general area,

Daglar, your company’s rune priest, gathers the four squad leaders together in the head monk’s room. He is gray-haired and weathered, and his green eyes glitter as he looks around at you all.
   “We must decide what to do next. While we gotten good plunder from this place, we are going to need more. There is a town further inland that Captain Kejek was intending to raid. He heard that the local bishop’s headquarters was there, and that’s where they keep the tithes that these people pay to their Nameless god.” He shrugged his shoulders, “He wasn’t expecting such a fight here, however. This is Averland country, one of their knights was leading that militia force that we defeated.” He smiled. ‘I do believe Sihylde smashed his head in with war hammer of hers.”
“Their defeat does present us with an opportunity. The Averland forces in the local area will be weakened, and as long as we avoid Helmar Castle in the south east, we may be able to quickly raid the town and get back to our ship. Or there is another village in the area. There’s not much there, but we should be able to raid it quickly and have enough to pay the company and have a little left over. Best of all with that, we will likely be able to cast off tomorrow.”
He clears his throat, “We also need to choose a new captain. Each of you has great advantages for the position. I expect the new captain will listen well to his subordinates, but on a battlefield and on a raid a clear chain of command is needed. This is only temporary, and the thane may pick someone else to be captain, but we are on our own out here.
“We need to decide what to do with all the captives. We can take some of them with us, and the men will want some for themselves. We should also offer one as a sacrifice to the gods, so we may continue to have their favor. I would recommend that old monk, the gods would find his sacrifice especially pleasing. But the choice is yours.”

And so the 4 leaders deliberated over what to do next.
1.   Who should be the acting captain?
2.   What direction should the company go?
3.   What will you do with the town, and the captives?
4.   Will you sacrifice? And if so, who?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2017, 10:00:17 pm »

((Me and Sihylde are missing rolls :P Also yay, we know this area now! Now I assume we're raiding because our homeland is failing in resources somehow :O but that's a post for later!))

Your thane will expect 1/3 of all the loot you receive, and each warrior under your command will expect at least ½ a coin as plunder, but 1 coin is considered a good raiding expedition for them. You can split the loot amongst yourselves now, or you can wait till the end of the expedition.
((Much fun fun :3 we get to organize our loot and command structure then \o/))

"I'd believe we'd need to know who to act and when--a Captain is good, but I've seen everyone come up with good ideas at many a time. As for this, we'll spread waves soon enough--even if they didn't send a messenger out, I believe we should hit the town and make a raid like how lightning and thunder come: Fast as the skies above our homes."

Jora abstains from #1 until later, and #3 and #4 entirely (having suggested to leave the captives to their own, and make a [Cunning] roll if ever people decided to RAZE IT ALL).
#2 is voting to quickly raid the town by hitting quickly and instead of facing the garrison head on, delay and block any counterattack by destruction of property for the raiders to loot quickly and uninterrupted.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25