Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25

Author Topic: Viking: Sea Wolves-Chapter 1: Fur and Fang  (Read 24891 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Viking: Sea Wolves
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2017, 08:35:04 am »

((Problem is that a single l kol also uses the same... whatever it's called. So in theory a Koll and Kol would have the same thing e.g Kolsson))
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2017, 08:41:53 am »

((Problem is that a single l kol also uses the same... whatever it's called. So in theory a Koll and Kol would have the same thing e.g Kolsson))
((I'm saying all that because the name was originally Koll, anyway :P And I was poking fun at SC))

That said, we've a nice DUKE cloak. That's pretty nice and high on our level--take the item as is, or do we sacrifice them? We've got the cross and around a ton other prisoners so...

I think we'll need more planning for this. :P

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2017, 08:46:01 am »

((Hmmm... Okay after a bit more searching I found the two l version. And honestly going with the one l version might be more thematic. See, 'Kol' means black, but 'Koll' is bald head or rounded top. And as far as I can tell, Jora isn't bald, nor a dude with a round head... :P ))

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2017, 08:50:16 am »

Let him guard the ships :P
Funnily enough, that is what I was thinking :P

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Looks good! Is he Jora and Einar's dad or not? Up to Tir and SC  :P You don't have to be with the boats, you can be be ret-conned in as always being there as someone's second in command. Up to you though!

Given a majority of the vote, Einar is acting captain! His vote for next action will serve as a tie breaker when it comes up!

For sacrificing, the old monk will give 3 fate points back, and a monk will give 2. The foot soldiers and villagers will give one each. You just need to sacrifice enough to fill all of your fate points back if you want... Though you can sacrifice all of them if you really want to.

I don't really have time today for a full update, so we are going to flesh out your characters a bit more! Describe what your character is doing, and how he or she interacts with the village, the captives, or you men! If you do, you'll get a bonus experience point once the expedition is over.

Tiruin: Describe your first encounter with the "Dark Spirit". Does it harm anybody?

SeriousConcentrate:How does the company react to the news that you've been called acting captain? Is there anyone angry?

Lorknis : Up to you what you want to focus on, you can help with the dark spirit once Tiruin describes it. Do you help announce the new acting captain? Or you can describe looting, or anything else really. Does your ferocity or resolve dominant?

Funk: Describe the scene of having the monks kiss the hammer. Does anyone resist, and do you carry through with your threat? Does anyone try to stop you?
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2017, 10:01:38 am »

Looks good! Is he Jora and Einar's dad or not? Up to Tir and SC  :P You don't have to be with the boats, you can be be ret-conned in as always being there as someone's second in command. Up to you though!
((I said his name was Kol :V not Koll. [/retcon] and everything is up to SC :P
Also looking back...I've found 'meyla' in a site with curse words :V MAYBE it wasn't meant to be a good term, but MAYBE Einar is GRUMPY. And/or I'm in a setting where people use curse words as affection--which I'm never accustomed to. XD Either way, you go SC! :) ))

Tiruin: Describe your first encounter with the "Dark Spirit". Does it harm anybody?
SINCE Jora is best at cunning in context, she will pull up the notion of the wight; as I cannot find a more specific link, descriptively a spirit of the village, kind and nice but using hints and other ideas gleaned from prisoners and the Captain, a nature spirit like this is cleansed from the lands by fire, else the fertility of the area will be affected for generations to come--even if its current owners are displaced. Technically, it doesn't directly harm people. Indirectly, it quite much does, and is easily excused by the...nameless God rituals things as 'normal everyday stuff'.
Roll for Cunning as how to adjust the wording :P

I don't really have time today for a full update, so we are going to flesh out your characters a bit more! Describe what your character is doing, and how he or she interacts with the village, the captives, or you men! If you do, you'll get a bonus experience point once the expedition is over.
HUM :I

For sacrificing, the old monk will give 3 fate points back, and a monk will give 2. The foot soldiers and villagers will give one each. You just need to sacrifice enough to fill all of your fate points back if you want... Though you can sacrifice all of them if you really want to.
We have too many prisoners ._. We can sell the monks (wow I'm feeling really... ">~<" at typing that) and still have too many people!
Are we all in agreement given the loot tally I've [rather badly] written?

Checking back: Lorknis and Funk all call for sacrificing the monks--perhaps at best to fill back our Fate to full. We can replace the rest for our 25 prisoner limit, but that'll earn less given the cost per...person.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:04:40 am by Tiruin »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2017, 10:26:19 am »

(I'm fine with Tar being a relative. And I found 'meyla' here, just do a find on it and you'll see. I meant nothing bad. :P

Let's see. I'll sacrifice enough footsoldiers to refill my fate; if anyone else needs fate, I recommend drawing from the footsoldiers first as well, and then the regular villagers. The monks are worth more as cargo and the soldiers might try to get unruly, so using them kills two birds with one stone. I'll edit out Einar breaking the cross so we can sell it instead.)

Einar sat on a barrel, his shield on his back and his axe on his hip, as he looked over the prisoners. "Take those and put them to the axe, in the name of the Allfather," he commanded, pointing out some of the healthier-looking enemy soldiers. Satisfied that his orders were going to be carried out, he turned to the rest of the raiders, including Fromund, Sihylde, and his sister.

"Captain Kejak died valiantly, and he goes to a hero's reward. We will honor his last wish by destroying this village, and we'll honor his memory by proceeding to the next town and pillaging it as well." Einar waited a moment; Kejak had been a good captain. "...But with his death, we need a new raid captain - at least until we return home. I've decided to take the responsibility upon myself. I'll do my best to uphold the example of my predecessor. Are there any objections?" Again Einar was silent, looking from soldier to soldier, leader to leader. Was there resentment in their faces? Excitement? He couldn't tell; he wasn't good enough at reading people. But he knew that they all knew him, and his steadfastness in every situation. They knew they could trust him to do what was good for his people instead of thinking only of himself and his own gain.

No objections were voiced, and Einar nodded to the group at large. "Then my first order as acting captain is to pillage whatever you like, but be quick about it. We march for our next destination soon."
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 05:08:46 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2017, 10:37:58 am »

((Hehe. Glad to be the old fogey with kids then ^^. Though he's back at the ship keeping the southerners from nicking it :P ))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2017, 10:53:48 am »

(I'm fine with Tar being a relative. And I found 'meyla' here, just do a find on it and you'll see. I meant nothing bad. :P

Let's see. I'll sacrifice enough footsoldiers to refill my fate; if anyone else needs fate, I recommend drawing from the footsoldiers first as well, and then the regular villagers. The monks are worth more as cargo and the soldiers might try to get unruly, so using them kills two birds with one stone. I'll edit out Einar breaking the cross so we can sell it instead.)
((I wonder how we...get coins from them anyway. Supposedly footsoldiers over villagers, because knowing how to fight helps. :v They can even be OUR auxiliary depending on the context, time, and technology/culture...
Also my goodness did I assume links there. :-[ That was my source. Sorry!))

ALSO I just noticed that the ONLY group Dark Bargain was at the start--or when there was a messenger. OTHERWISE it is a personal thing ._.;
WELL I do bet we're going to see a lot of that in the future. Even selling...people for coin ._.

Also my apologies, I missed or forgot Lorknis' post on #4 (as in what to do with the prisoners)

I think, since we're probably not resetting our ship's prisoner hold, we save all the monks but let the few other people go until we settle our Fate Point capacity. Seems like we can't sell anything until we raid our second target.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:42:39 am by Tiruin »

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2017, 09:43:38 pm »

Einar sat on a barrel, his shield on his back and his axe on his hip, as he looked over the prisoners. "Take those and put them to the axe, in the name of the Allfather," he commanded, pointing out some of the healthier-looking enemy soldiers. Satisfied that his orders were going to be carried out, he turned to the rest of the raiders, including Fromund, Sihylde, and his sister.

"Captain Kejak died valiantly, and he goes to a hero's reward. We will honor his last wish by destroying this village, and we'll honor his memory by proceeding to the next town and pillaging it as well." Einar waited a moment; Kejak had been a good captain. "...But with his death, we need a new raid captain - at least until we return home. I've decided to take the responsibility upon myself. I'll do my best to uphold the example of my predecessor. Are there any objections?" Again Einar was silent, looking from soldier to soldier, leader to leader. Was there resentment in their faces? Excitement? He couldn't tell; he wasn't good enough at reading people. But he knew that they all knew him, and his steadfastness in every situation. They knew they could trust him to do what was good for his people instead of thinking only of himself and his own gain.

No objections were voiced, and Einar nodded to the group at large. "Then my first order as acting captain is to pillage whatever you like, but be quick about it. We march for our next destination soon."

The warriors looked at each other. A moment of silence reigned. Then one of Einar's shield brothers stood up and gave a mighty cheer, and soon all the warriors were shouting their approval of their new captain!

Daglar the Rune Priest grabbed a foot soldier, to his dismay and those of their companions. The Rune Priest laid out a circle of runes in the square, and forced the foot soldier to kneel in it. He cried out in fear, but the Rune Priest knelt next to him and whispered in his ear. The soldier's face grew resolute, though hatred remained in his heart. Daglar stood to his feet, and grabbed his runic axe. A monk broke free and rushed at him, shouting at him to stop, but one of the guards gave a strong punch to the stomach which forced the wind out of him. The soldier shouted out a curse as the axe fell.

Suddenly the ground began to shake, and loud whispers were heard all around them. The sky began to grow dark. All the people, warriors and captive alike, grew fearful. Einar, Fromund and Sihylde began to look around to no avail. Jora happened to glance inside at one house, and a shadowy figure stared back at her, eyes glowing a luminous blue. It grins, a wide, wide smile full of sharp teeth, and then screeches, a lid terrible sound that chills those who hear it to the bones. Jora covers her ears in pain, and when she looks up, the creature is gone.

The captives are panicking, the warriors are terrified, and the wind is beginning to pick up. Most of the loot is in the wagons, but the captives might need sorted, and about 5 coins worth hasn't been loaded yet.

What do you do?

Spoiler: Coin and stuff (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Themes (click to show/hide)

Also the loot table looks good! I added a bit to the character list on the first page, it doesn't include the captives however. And yes, the dark bargain was sneakily only made to Tiruin, though every one will get a bonus on the next roll. Kol is officially guarding the ships, as his hip was acting up a bit and he volunteered for the duty  :P  Einar got one fate point back from the sacrifice (fills up the lowest people first). I liked the detail added in the actions, keep it up!
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2017, 09:54:11 pm »

Well that +1 would do well at looting and morale boosting :3
Most of the loot is in the wagons, but the captives might need sorted, and about 5 coins worth hasn't been loaded yet.
NOO, NOT THE 5 COINS!

((I'll put this in a timeskip as our other 2 noble fellows didn't post yet))
Sometime before razing...
Cunning: [Do that action I mentioned before in explaining everything in our terms, that there is totally a dark spirit, and the locals here should really make heed of it]
((In hindsight, this is why I felt like sparing a few folks--since we don't necessarily need 25 sacrifices :P we can spare the rest to let them spread word of DISTASTE and...probably anything we can be creative with))

"A curse! A curse on these lands! A wight of nature, and an evil omen!" Jora would've probably said exactly, if it were not for her ears ringing pretty badly--she managed to adjust it to a more concise idea before grabbing and lighting a torch. The ringing still continued as her mind spoke to her: "Purge the houses--the wight resides in the homes! Pack the prisoners' possessions; they must leave this area now!"

She noticed that she wouldn't be able to give voice to her realizations, and needed the others with this, hoping that her gestures to the fire would catch on.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2017, 10:04:01 pm »

Einar grimaced. Perhaps this land had guardian spirits watching over it. "You lot! Load whatever you can! You three! Get the prisoners back to the ship! Everyone else, grab a torch and follow me!" Having given the orders to the assembled men and women of the raiders (although not to the leaders; Fromund and Sihylde could make their own decision about which task to do), Einar grabbed a torch and lit it from Jora's. "We burn this village down now!"
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Lorknis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2017, 06:41:42 am »

(Apologies for not posting yesterday, the entire day was a shit show)

Fromund would grab a torch and wave for the rest of his men to do the same, "Come now, men, we now get to cut loose a bit! Burn it all! Take it all! It is your right as a wolf!"

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2017, 07:36:56 pm »

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

Einar shouts his men into some semblance of order, and gets the fires set throughout the town. Jóra, Frømund, and Sihylde rush around themselves, setting fires in the houses in the hopes of driving the spirit out. The omnipresent whispers stop, and are replaced by screams, unearthly howls which set a chill into the bones. The captives panic, and the warriors do too. Einar and Frømund make sure all the warriors get out, but in the rush and panic, the 5 coins worth of goods were left behind. Sihylde organizes the prisoners, and driven insensate by sheer terror (it has been a crazy day, after all) , are easily driven out of the town.
The company and prisoners gather on a hill overlooking the village. There is a fire roaring through the town now, and the screams have quieted. Night is falling, and the glow from the fires reflects on the people’s faces The captives are definitely more terrified of that… thing, then they are of you now. The warriors, ash covered and with wild looks in their eyes, look to their squad leaders and raid captain for direction.
What do you do?
-Need to decide what to do with the captives
-Decide where to attack (town with rich church, nearby village, or another target (just ask if there is another target you have in mind)
-How you decide to get there? (Fast raid, but tiring; steady march, but more likely to be intercepted, people warned of your coming; Sneak around, slowest of the three, but least likely to be intercepted.
-Anything else?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2017, 09:49:58 pm »

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2017, 10:34:59 am »

Mini-update

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

Jóra turns to the crowd of villagers and the remaining foot soilders. “Did you hear that angry spirit?” She asks the crowd, “This land is cursed, and we have come to cleanse it! In return for our services, we will be taking the monks and some of the young men and women with us, where they will pay off your debt to us with work on our farms and in our forests! You will have a good life, do not worry, we are not savages. Your children will be raised as our own, and your bellies will be full. What more can a man ask for”

The crowd of captives, shocked and terrified beyond reason, nodded their agreement. The monks bravely told the rest of the crowd that it was clearly the Nameless god’s plan for them to go with the heathens, and about ten of the fitter men and women in the crowd volunteered to go with you, eager to go off in search of adventure and  a new life. The other captives, the ones you are leaving, agree to tell others of the dark spirit that inhabited the village, and of the service you preformed them. They also agree to wait a few days, so that you will have time to escape before they warn other villages and their lord. (Unless you wanted them to spread the word? This will increase your countdown though, and they may not be effective in convincing others. But they potentially could be effective. What do you think the effect of their successful convincing of others would be?)

Starting a countdown till discovery: ¼ full

This countdown will move up with every big action your group takes, from marching to raids. Right now it is only ¼ full because you dealt with the captives so that they won’t be spreading word of your raid quite yet.
   It seems, from reading back, that the group consensus was to raid the smaller village that was closer. So now you just need to decide how you will carry out the raid, and who will lead the vanguard. The leader of the vanguard will roll for how you decide to march there.

A.   Ferocity: A quick march and raid will carry us to victory!
B.   Resolve: We will push aside all who oppose us! Best condition for battle, but more likely to get into an unwanted battle than the others
C.   Cunning: We will sneak around them, then launch a surprise raid upon our target! The slowest and riskiest of the options, but if done well perhaps the most devastating.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25