Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake  (Read 48634 times)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2017, 03:03:42 pm »

Eh...MOO1's genre is space opera, not hard science fiction.

I'm pretty sure natural selection is involved, but (if you buy into the conventional paradigm), that natural selection probably has to do with what worked in the Cambrian (spinal cord lock-in, spinal cord lock-out, skeleton and analogs) and Devonian (breakout to land) eras

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2017, 09:35:36 pm »

Hey guys, I was on the Space Game Junkie podcast recently and talked a lot about the game. If you are interested, you can listen to it here: https://www.spacegamejunkie.com/podcasts/sgj-podcast-205-remnants-precursors/

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2017, 10:43:55 pm »

As a life-form, yes. As an intelligent, technological race? Seems impossible as an aquatic race. How do you even get to the bronze age if you can't smelt?

Symbiosis with various chemotrophs? Thermal vents? Massive acoustic shatterers? Bioelectricity? Harnessing sonoluminescent plasma? Magma?

There's lots of ways that don't strictly need fire or gaseous oxygen. There's no actual need for a bronze age either, for various technology to be developed, but being underwater doesn't forbid one from occuring, assuming earth-like resources were available in the environment. But there would more likely be a "coral age" and a "ceramic age" and a "chitin age" and a "polymer age" as well, possibly before base metals and alloys would even be needed in large amounts to create many useful things.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 10:56:27 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2017, 08:36:38 pm »

If anyone is interested in the long-term roadmap for the project, from the current alpha to the Gold release, you can see it in great detail here:

https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/05/31/state-of-the-game-2/

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2017, 11:25:17 am »

Very cool Mrrshan artwork !

After reading your roadmap, i have a feeling the alpha 7 will be filled with bugs
... :D

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2017, 01:30:30 pm »

Very cool Mrrshan artwork !

After reading your roadmap, i have a feeling the alpha 7 will be filled with bugs
... :D

Well, every initial alpha is going to have bugs. You guys are literally the QA team.

The hope is that if I do alphas every 3-4 months, then the releases will become progressively better.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2017, 01:36:14 pm »

I was trying to make a pun, Alpha 7 is the Klackons addition to the game and well the Klackons ... bugs ... :D

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2017, 02:08:28 pm »

I was trying to make a pun, Alpha 7 is the Klackons addition to the game and well the Klackons ... bugs ... :D

omg that totally went over my head  /bonk

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2017, 10:35:26 pm »

The original MOO tech tree has been made graphical instead of the old text listings in the original game. I think it looks great! Details here: https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/06/06/new-tech-ui-completed/

Also, we are looking for additional translators.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2017, 12:28:50 pm »

I'm not trying to be a thread necromancer here, but what exactly happened to this game? Is it still updated?

(jesus that was a horrible mistake. negromanger, seriously?)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:05:24 pm by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2017, 01:40:48 pm »

I'm not trying to be a thread negromanger here, but what exagtly happened to this game? Is it still updated?

Looks like it's on a bit of a hold; According to the most recent post on his blog:
So, I know that blog updates have been infrequent lately but I am in my 3rd week (of 4 total) of being out of town to care for my mom which has obviously put a crimp in my ability to write code.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2017, 08:54:02 am »

I'm not trying to be a thread negromanger here, but what exagtly happened to this game? Is it still updated?

Looks like it's on a bit of a hold; According to the most recent post on his blog:
So, I know that blog updates have been infrequent lately but I am in my 3rd week (of 4 total) of being out of town to care for my mom which has obviously put a crimp in my ability to write code.

My ability to write code was on hold but the rest of the activities (artwork, writing, etc) were able to continue. I am back on the project now as my mom is in much better shape after her hospitalization.

Alpha 4 is scheduled for September 1st.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2017, 03:37:06 pm »

I'm not trying to be a thread necromancer here, but what exactly happened to this game? Is it still updated?

(jesus that was a horrible mistake. negromanger, seriously?)

Immortalized forevermore.

Evermore. Evermore... evermore... more... more...
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2017, 04:22:41 pm »

Just want to make it clear to everyone that the next Alpha is scheduled for September 1st. That's in two days!

As a reminder, I am not an amateur software developer. This kind of work is what I do for a living, i.e. I have years of development experience and all of the money+time I need to finish everything related to this game. It's now basically just a project management issue between me, the artist, writer, graphic designer and translators to get everything done. In fact, the amount of actual coding work I personally have remaining to do is much less that some of the other contributors (i.e. the artist!). So short of me dying prematurely, there's really nothing that's going to stop this game from being completed.

Of course it's easy to get jaded because so many indie developers get in over their head and ghost their players, but that will absolutely never happen here. I specifically take about a month-long sabbatical from the project every 6 months or so to avoid burnout (I usually work on some other software project :P ) It just so happens that this time the sabbatical was imposed upon me because of family medical issues out of my control   :(

We have one artist on the team, but his work is brilliant. Although bottlenecking through a single artist means the schedule to the final release is longer, it also means that we have time to add a lot more non-artwork stuff to the game, like writing and translations. It's all good.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:10:39 pm by RayFowler »

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2017, 10:46:40 pm »

The Alpha is available for download and play: https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/09/01/alpha-4-is-available/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:02:43 pm by RayFowler »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18