Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake  (Read 48759 times)

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2017, 07:58:33 pm »

There's some kind of bug when you get into an alliance. I think the ally started controlling my ground troops. I was just passing turns peacefully with a NAP on every empire just messing around seeing what techs were in the game and seeing if I could get a diplomatic victory when I allied another empire and a few turns later suddenly I started invading worlds and had transport fleets going all over the place (and instantly became universally hated for breaking non aggression pacts, lol - even by the ally who was controlling them)

That is crazy! Can you send in a saved game file with that happening?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2017, 09:36:24 pm »

I didn't make a save when it happened but I'll try to reproduce it.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2017, 10:09:22 am »

I didn't make a save when it happened but I'll try to reproduce it.

I will definitely need a save because I can't reproduce it and, for the life of me, from looking at the code I can't see how it could happen. Did you set the difficulty in the game to "AI"? If so, that might cause this to occur.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2017, 12:10:35 pm »

I didn't adjust anything, it was just a "normal" game. It didn't start happening until I accepted an alliance with a neighbor. Shortly thereafter my invasion shuttles started attacking the two people who he didn't like (but i still had NAPs with). Huge invasions too - like 160 troops landing on a world that can only support 80.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2017, 02:50:11 pm »

I didn't adjust anything, it was just a "normal" game. It didn't start happening until I accepted an alliance with a neighbor. Shortly thereafter my invasion shuttles started attacking the two people who he didn't like (but i still had NAPs with). Huge invasions too - like 160 troops landing on a world that can only support 80.

I'll go look some more. If you have a saved game, that would be awesome!

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2017, 09:25:37 pm »

I've scoured the code and can only find one possible explanation. Please do me a favor and go to the setup screen on the game where you select the galaxy.. Is the difficulty set to AI?

Because it is possible to set this to AI, cancel out of setup and go back to the game to allow the AI to start playing for you. If that happens, then the AI for *your* empire may start launching invasions. This is how I test the AI, btw.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2017, 03:36:40 am »

Very interesting article :
https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/09/17/lineal-legitimacy-and-the-fallacy-of-the-spiritual-successor/

Thank you for sharing. Good to read, - I especially liked the example on how XCOM managed to make huge changes and still be 'in good standing' with the fan-base.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2017, 06:18:49 pm »

Alpha patch 4.15 is out. It's a larger one as I tried to include as many tester suggestions as possible before starting on the Alpha 5 work.

https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/09/23/alpha-4-15-jumbo-patch-is-here/

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2017, 11:04:49 am »

Here is an example of combat death animations being worked on: https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/09/26/death-animations/

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2017, 01:04:53 pm »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2017, 02:51:01 pm »

Very interesting article :
https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/09/17/lineal-legitimacy-and-the-fallacy-of-the-spiritual-successor/

Thank you for sharing. Good to read, - I especially liked the example on how XCOM managed to make huge changes and still be 'in good standing' with the fan-base.
Far too long-winded for what it wants to say, which is that everyone has different ideas of what makes a game good (an important point) and that there's this nebulously defined legitimacy to the throne (which his own examples can't back up). He asserts that Call to Power failed because its changes were vile pretender changes, while XCOM succeeded because its changes were vile pretender changes but it was still turn based. Even if we take his arguments at face value (he doesn't back them up), that doesn't follow, especially since a handful of people did make the exact same "it's not X-Com!" arguments about newCOM.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2017, 04:28:42 am »

Operating word being "handful" (which is a given).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2017, 09:24:34 am »

I think there's also the timeframe that play a big role.

Between Xcom Enemy Unknown and its modern remake there are nearly 18 years , meaning that the people that played and loved to death the original Xcom weren't going to be the majority of people going to play the modern remake, there's a whole new generation of people that were born in between and were by then in age to be interested by this kind of videogame and it was well advertised enough to attract even people having never heard about the franchise.

So there's a big percentage of people that very likely never played the original Xcom, making this modern remake gameplay and system changes to face a lot less "fan resistance".
And with the remake being in a genre that is not usually seeing such big production value, it probably had an easier time than a game like Xenonaut that was another recent Xcom clone.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2017, 10:48:21 am »

I think there's also the timeframe that play a big role.

Between Xcom Enemy Unknown and its modern remake there are nearly 18 years , meaning that the people that played and loved to death the original Xcom weren't going to be the majority of people going to play the modern remake, there's a whole new generation of people that were born in between and were by then in age to be interested by this kind of videogame and it was well advertised enough to attract even people having never heard about the franchise.

So there's a big percentage of people that very likely never played the original Xcom, making this modern remake gameplay and system changes to face a lot less "fan resistance".
And with the remake being in a genre that is not usually seeing such big production value, it probably had an easier time than a game like Xenonaut that was another recent Xcom clone.

The difference in timespan seems important, but another difference between the rejection of Call to Power and the acceptance of the new X-COM has to do with the presence of the original creators.

In CtP's case, Sid Meier was still a very public figure and making 4X games at Firaxis. When CtP came out, it would have been rejected for almost any slight deviation simply because it was not a Sid Meier production.

In X-COM's case, the original creators had moved onto to other things. Does anyone even know who they are, without googling? Unlike Civ, most X-COM fans have no idea who the creator is so it's easier to transfer the legacy, especially to an established 4X icon like Meier's Firaxis.

Even MOO fans know who Barcia and Emrich are because they were involved in all 3 games. But the Gollop brothers?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18