Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Author Topic: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake  (Read 48704 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2017, 02:47:22 pm »

Call to Power got a sequel, so i'm not sure it was that rejected or the devs/publishers of it wouldn't have wanted to lose more money into keeping at this serie.
I remember that the sequel got a lot of bad critics in its time, i don't remember what they were though, can't say more as i never played it.

In CtP's case, Sid Meier was still a very public figure and making 4X games at Firaxis. When CtP came out, it would have been rejected for almost any slight deviation simply because it was not a Sid Meier production.
Yes popular names always add to a game appeal when the name has been associated already to successfull series.

And when he was at Firafix at the time of Call to Power, what a game it was that had his name added to it (Alpha Centauri, it's one of my favorite 4X ever) on the same year that saw Civ2:ToT too, and that was probably the reason i never cared about those 2 games, as Alpha Centauri was such a masterpiece that it completely eclipsed both Call to Power and Civ2 Test ofTime for me.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2017, 03:43:06 pm »

When Call To Power 2 came out, I believe that Firaxis had already reclaimed the rights to the Civilization title, so CTP no longer had "Civilization" in its name.. or something like that.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 06, 2017, 08:45:29 am »

Here's an example of what the Darlok ships will look like:
https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/10/05/first-look-darlok-ships/

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2017, 11:24:06 am »

Damn, that's cool looking!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2017, 11:57:53 am »

Hang on, have I not been in this thread? Where was I, when I was online talking about Remnants, if not here? Now I am confused.

I love MOO. I quite like MOO2, and have played both MOO and MOO2 extensively as recently as three months ago (back on a crawl kick right now though), and took Remnants out for a spin in the same MOO binge. It looked promising, very promising, but then I got distracted by something, and went back to MOO :-/.

I will try to find time to be more constructive at some point, but meanwhile, Ray, good luck, we are all counting on you.

tl;rd: posting to watch :)

Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2017, 12:48:58 pm »

but meanwhile, Ray, good luck, we are all counting on you.

No Pressure!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2017, 01:05:24 pm »

That Darlok ship is amazing !
edit:
On the current release, i don't know if it's worth something to report oddities/bugs with the space battles as it's alpha/unfinished, but i noticed this :

Basically my Panther group fired 16 missiles toward the planet, but the missiles decided to sit there for the whole duration of the battle.

And a few other issues :
On another earlier battle, i had +/- 15 of those Panther defending a world, while an enemy group of 25 ships that seemed from a smaller class (though they were using Sakkra graphics so i have no idea if they're at the same type of scale as the current MoO1-like placeholder) and my Panthers despite having a lot of ion canon never opened fire and so were basically annihilated after several turns of the enemy fleet shooting them.
While in another battle against what seemed the same type of Sakkra ships they had no problem shooting.

In another battle i had a group of huge ships completely ignoring an enemy fleet (smaller, but not that smaller) and insisting in going to attack an enemy planet, i mean despite the enemy fleet was flying (and shooting at them) right next to them for the whole flight, they never opened fire, it seems the AI was only wanting to attack that planet and so their weapons not being yet in range were leaving them unable to shoot back while the enemy fleet had a field day.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:58:31 pm by Robsoie »

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2017, 01:50:56 pm »

Basically my Panther group fired 16 missiles toward the planet, but the missiles decided to sit there for the whole duration of the battle.

That's definitely worth reporting. I have a good idea of what's causing that.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2017, 09:24:14 am »

I've made a video on the steps involved in creating a foreign-language translation of the game. Anyone interested in doing something like this, let me know:
https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/10/13/alpha-4-21-is-here-with-a-call-for-translators/

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2019, 12:51:34 am »

Hey guys, it's been a long time. Lots of life changes... significant family medical emergency in my family a while back, one in the artist's family more recently. Honestly, just the typical risks in any indie game development where progress is contingent upon the availability of very few people.

However, the tallest pole in the tent has always been the artwork and I have continued to fund that part of the project to keep the project moving along. Because of the time involved in doing the last two races (Humans and Klackons) and the 240 ship animations for all 10 races, I made the decision to go radio silent on the project rather than create some sort of drip drip tease about the game when I knew the next alpha would take a long time to get here.

But it's a good time now to let everyone know that the next alpha, Alpha 5, should almost certainly be ready by the end of the year.

Here's my handy-dandy cut and paste of what's added for this alpha and what remains to be done for the final release:

Added in Alpha 5:
-- Human and Klackon races added (all 10 races now in game)
-- Player-controlled tactical ship combat now added
-- Modernized ship artwork for all 10 races
-- Modernized Ship Design UI
-- 14 of 16 original random events added

What's remaining for the beta and 1.0 release:
-- Orion homeworld & guardian ship (artwork completed)
-- 3 diplomatic options
-- 2 random events for Space Amoeba and Crystalline Entity (artwork completed)
-- Game Over animations
-- language translations (post-beta)
-- updated artwork for sabotage missions and technology discoveries (several months of work)
-- modernized UIs for map UI, races UI, sabotage UI and galactic council UI

As you can see, the game is literally 99% functionally done at this point. All that's left is a handful of minor features and then cosmetic stuff like artwork and revamping the last few UIs.

Once all of the artwork is done and there is no placeholder artwork in the game, I'll start an official beta and open-source the code for anyone who wants to see what a crappy games programmer I am. It's also the point where I will hopefully be able to crowdsource AI improvements.

Please note: don't get perturbed if you see this exact post pasted on another game forum. I just don't want to type all of this out again! Obviously I will personally respond to any questions and comments here.

Example intro screen for the Klackons:

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2019, 07:33:17 am »

Thanks for the informations. It's great to see you're still at it, such a great project even in alpha state it played very smoothly.
That Klackon artwork is amazing.

I pray life is getting better for you guys and your families.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2019, 10:56:36 am »

Very nice.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2019, 08:36:22 pm »

Awesome work! What's the story on multiplayer?

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2019, 12:19:27 am »

Awesome work! What's the story on multiplayer?

Multiplayer is not going to be supported, so it's a sad story.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2019, 11:21:25 am »

Oh, hey, glad to see you've been continuing on with this!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18