Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake  (Read 48641 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake
« Reply #255 on: December 25, 2021, 12:30:05 pm »

Wonderful news! I'm looking forward to seeing how far it has come since I last tried it out a few years ago.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 25, 2021, 05:45:10 pm »

Wonderful news! I'm looking forward to seeing how far it has come since I last tried it out a few years ago.

A long way!

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 25, 2021, 05:45:47 pm »

Congratulations for reaching this 1.0 release, and thank you very much for all the work on this amazing 4x.
Merry Christmas !

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 25, 2021, 07:23:54 pm »

Thank you for making this, and sticking with it over the years.

MOO 1 is one of those games I'll always be able to go back to, and it's nice to have a modernized remake with QoL fixes. The fan-made AIs add new life into it, and the way you've managed to add personality to each race gives a better reason to play each, even the low-rank cats.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 07:26:33 pm by Nirur Torir »

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 01, 2022, 02:24:07 pm »

Release 1.01 will be the last update for a while so I can start focusing on the next major release.

https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/rtpqq2/release_101_is_now_available/

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 04, 2022, 12:39:27 pm »

Never played Moo1 but been having a lot of fun with this! I had some feedback on the AI but looks like you updated it, so I'll have to check this out first.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 06, 2022, 01:59:27 am »

Ok, I played some more games. For reference I'm on normal difficulty vs Xilmi on Starfield.

I had some thoughts:

Starting spawns and planets are too random.

One game I started cornered with only 2 planets and two empires on my borders. This forced me into a 50 turn battle of extinction and just left me hopelessly behind after winning. On the same settings in a new game I was basically gifted 1/4 of the map and basically won by default with only one war needed.

You can also start with as few as 2 planets or have tons of habitable planets near by. Starting relics or rich planets are also huge boosts. The only thing that seems to be guaranteed is one habitable planet nearby.

I get the game is meant to be a bit unbalanced with starts to keep it interesting, but I think it swings too wildy and I often restart if a start is too easy or too hard. I think it'd be better if empires were more evenly spaced out and the starting areas were standardized a bit more (eg. two good habitable planets, no modifiers).

The other issue I just ran into was cloaking. Maybe I'm just not good at the game, but it was incredibly obnoxious dealing with the AI once it unlocked cloaking. I don't mind it's effect in tactical, but on the strategic map it basically makes planning or tactical moves impossible. I have no way of knowing the AI's fleet amounts, where they're at, or if they're preparing an attack. I'd prefer it didn't have any effect on strategic, or at least there should be a way to counter it. I can't even see the fleets bombarding my planets.

Maybe it could reduce the info to only the # of ships, but you wouldn't know their designs on the strategic map.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 02:06:05 am by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 06, 2022, 04:31:09 pm »

Xilmi is the tough AI.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]