Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake  (Read 48722 times)

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2017, 05:39:27 pm »

I still sometimes play MOO1, and this looks cool.

UI problem: You have the exit buttons right over the next turn button. This is fine, but please add a 3-5 second delay after hitting exit, before the next turn button can be hit, in case of double-clicks.

Good suggestion! Those kinds of problems bug me as well, so I will try to fix it.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2017, 05:42:20 pm »

Anyways, thank you for your work, RotP is probably one of the best 4X i played in recent times, the fact it's based and improve upon my all time favorite (MoO1) is probably a big factor too :)
And i like those visuals a lot, there's ton of "character" to each races , it does not feel "generic" like they did in the best forgotten MoO3 by example.

Good luck with future development, i hope much more people will start to notice and play this masterpiece in the making :)

That's all extremely high praise! I will admit that I was never a hard-core MOO1 player.... more of a casual who liked the immersiveness of the game, which is what I am trying to improve on. A lot of games overlook this, trying to make perfect mechanics and a flashy UI -- just look at Stellaris' generic nameless races for a prime example of this.

Immersion takes a lot of artwork, which takes a lot of time, which is probably why commercial games don't focus on it anymore.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:26:50 pm by RayFowler »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2017, 10:00:57 pm »

I quite like many of the quality-of-like interface improvements you've made. Keep it up!

I can order enemy fleets to undeploy as they're leaving their worlds(!)

I'd like a visual on where a battle is taking place before I decide whether or not to fight.

I was a bit annoyed by the need to setup my missile bases for every new planets before assigning defense sliders to build them, i think this should be optional in my opinion, as i don't remember in MoO1 having forgot to stop the defense slider when i didn't needed them, probably because i was never playing on the largest universe size.
Idea: Have a box in the colony screen for the default missile base target on new colonies, and have a button that sets existing to that number. Allow an infinite value (at -1, probably.)

It would be nice if using the mouse wheel to change planetary spending values aimed at larger amounts(dependent on how many items I can build) - Say, +1 pop each wheel click, or if I can make 100 destroyers, increments of 10.

When trying to move ships to a planet, it's annoyingly easy to select ships leaving it.

I should not be able to select planets and ships that are underneath the planet/fleet info box.

A bit of a gameplay question for once, when i play as Silicoids i found myself having a hard time to not having half of my systems rebelling on smaller universe and max opponents, so the Silicoid major advantage (not having to research special world environment to colonise them) isn't that big as you quickly run into opponent worlds that block your early spreading, the Silicoids have much more chances on larger universe settings.
Are you building pop with eco spending? I seem to be fine so far in my 50-star Silicoid game.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2017, 08:02:38 am »

I quite like many of the quality-of-like interface improvements you've made. Keep it up!

I can order enemy fleets to undeploy as they're leaving their worlds(!)

Enjoy it while it lasts! A fix for that is already queued up for the next patch :P

I'd like a visual on where a battle is taking place before I decide whether or not to fight.

I was a bit annoyed by the need to setup my missile bases for every new planets before assigning defense sliders to build them, i think this should be optional in my opinion, as i don't remember in MoO1 having forgot to stop the defense slider when i didn't needed them, probably because i was never playing on the largest universe size.
Idea: Have a box in the colony screen for the default missile base target on new colonies, and have a button that sets existing to that number. Allow an infinite value (at -1, probably.)

It would be nice if using the mouse wheel to change planetary spending values aimed at larger amounts(dependent on how many items I can build) - Say, +1 pop each wheel click, or if I can make 100 destroyers, increments of 10.

When trying to move ships to a planet, it's annoyingly easy to select ships leaving it.

I should not be able to select planets and ships that are underneath the planet/fleet info box.

A bit of a gameplay question for once, when i play as Silicoids i found myself having a hard time to not having half of my systems rebelling on smaller universe and max opponents, so the Silicoid major advantage (not having to research special world environment to colonise them) isn't that big as you quickly run into opponent worlds that block your early spreading, the Silicoids have much more chances on larger universe settings.
Are you building pop with eco spending? I seem to be fine so far in my 50-star Silicoid game.

Lot of good suggestions here. I'm making it easier for empires to know WHO is inciting rebellion. Declaring war on them reduces their chance of inciting rebellion, so that's a good way to fight it for now.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2017, 11:18:25 am »

I think balancing there is harder because it's a problem specific to Silicoids on the smaller type of universe when you have all the AI races in it too.
Because playing as i usually do, i decided to move to the upper universe size, the 50 stars one that Nirur Torir mentionned playing with, and i had a Silicoids election victory today on it, far from the struggle i had with Silicoids on the smaller one .
http://i.imgur.com/At5LhPr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/m8B788G.jpg

As i thought the more stars, the more space there is between factions and so the much more time the silicoids have to spread around and get enough researches going toward higher computers techs before the spy game could really begin.

Once i got to that point and the spygame was really starting, my larger and by now high tech empire was standing up to anyone else and had the computers level high enough to help against spies.
After that it was only a question of time as my fleets were numerous and powerfull enough to have nearly everyone being friendly and voting for me in the hope i didn't come for them.

Poor Bulrathis warmongers that declared as usual an early war on me, my powerfull fleets managed to reduce them down to 1 system before the election got my victory, they just escaped complete annihilation thanks to it :D

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2017, 12:54:45 pm »

I tried this last night and noticed an interface oddity: When a scout discovered a new world, and the game told me, I clicked the scout and it showed the fleet movement panel on the right, but the map acted like I hadn't selected a fleet at all. I had to click another system and click back on the scout to get it to work, each time.

Also at one point it showed the name of an enemy ship when my mouse was in the middle of the screen and the enemy ship was outside the window (in the up direction). Like it thought I was mousing over it when that was impossible because it wasn't on the screen at all.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2017, 01:46:00 pm »

For anyone unfamiliar with MoO1, you can find a very excellent and illustrated tutorial by Sirian on a MoO1 game detailled and explained here :
http://sirian.warpcore.org/moo1/tutorial/tut-1.html

Out of the obvious interface difference, most of those informations are applicable to Remnants of the Precursors and will provide a great way for beginners to understand the gameplay and feel at home in no time.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2017, 04:09:05 am »

3.08 is now available, more good bug and balance fixes :)
https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/04/16/alpha-3-08-has-jumped-out-of-a-rabbit-hole/

edit
just completed a Sakkra victory in that 3.08 by election again (as i prefered to accept my ruling instead of going nuts and destroy everyone else, as the universe was a bit too balanced at that time :D )
http://i.imgur.com/ZQrc4IF.jpg

I'm still so impressed by how good the game is flowing right now, it already replaced MoO1 in my old heart :D and once it has the manual space combat i'm not sure i will ever touch MoO1 again.
The visuals are so amazing, the quality is just incredible, and the sounds are very nice too in order to build the atmosphere.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:42:49 am by Robsoie »

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2017, 07:52:39 am »

For anyone unfamiliar with MoO1, you can find a very excellent and illustrated tutorial by Sirian on a MoO1 game detailled and explained here :
http://sirian.warpcore.org/moo1/tutorial/tut-1.html

Out of the obvious interface difference, most of those informations are applicable to Remnants of the Precursors and will provide a great way for beginners to understand the gameplay and feel at home in no time.

I would like to point out that we are planning to make a user manual once the game is done.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2017, 08:23:29 am »

I tried this last night and noticed an interface oddity: When a scout discovered a new world, and the game told me, I clicked the scout and it showed the fleet movement panel on the right, but the map acted like I hadn't selected a fleet at all. I had to click another system and click back on the scout to get it to work, each time.

I was able to reproduce this accidentally, once. And not again. I will keep trying so I can figure out the root cause.

Also at one point it showed the name of an enemy ship when my mouse was in the middle of the screen and the enemy ship was outside the window (in the up direction). Like it thought I was mousing over it when that was impossible because it wasn't on the screen at all.

Is it possible that you were hovering over the flight path line for that fleet? When you hover over a path line, it will show you the fleet, even if it is off-screen.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2017, 03:00:11 pm »

Incite rebellion is pretty hardcore, even in 3.08. I just lost 7 planets in a single turn, with only 5 rivals (one of which was allied) in contact!
Also, it shot my frame rate in the main view. Autosave, just before the civil war kills me.
(No computer tech or security spending, but I did have a large lead in production, and I don't think it was possible to have more than one spying success per target per turn in the original.)

Are the descriptions for the terraforming techs accurate? A cost of [terraforming level] BC per pop added is pretty different from the original.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2017, 03:17:57 pm »

I was able to reproduce this accidentally, once. And not again. I will keep trying so I can figure out the root cause.
It happened to me every time. Possibly the way or order I was doing things in?

Is it possible that you were hovering over the flight path line for that fleet? When you hover over a path line, it will show you the fleet, even if it is off-screen.
It was just sitting at a neutral system. In case it's relevant, there were two other scout fleets there from other nations as well - one was mine, one was some other empire's, and I was seeing the information for both the fleets that didn't belong to me, depending on where the mouse was. It was basically acting like it thought I had the mouse over them. I can't imagine why that would happen, must be a pretty weird bug.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2017, 04:38:18 pm »

And 3.09 is now available with more bugs fixed and improvements ! Great work !
https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/04/17/alpha-3-09-is-right-on-time/

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2017, 04:54:41 pm »

Incite rebellion is pretty hardcore, even in 3.08. I just lost 7 planets in a single turn, with only 5 rivals (one of which was allied) in contact!
Also, it shot my frame rate in the main view. Autosave, just before the civil war kills me.
(No computer tech or security spending, but I did have a large lead in production, and I don't think it was possible to have more than one spying success per target per turn in the original.)

Are the descriptions for the terraforming techs accurate? A cost of [terraforming level] BC per pop added is pretty different from the original.

I think I understand what is causing the excessive rebellion, or at least something that must be contributing to it which will be definitely fixed in 3.10

Each colony keeps a counter of rebels on a planet. When this counter / population exceeds 50%, the colony goes into rebellion.

This means that losing population to an invasion or simply sending transports away can potentially trigger a rebellion. Not good. I'm going to revist the OSG on this topic and otherwise figure something out for 3.10. You should not trigger a rebellion in those cases.

Thanks for keeping this issue at the forefront!

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2017, 12:01:43 pm »

Alpha 3.10 is close to pseudo-random on its assignment of leader pictures to leaders when viewing the Races panel (all tabs).  The assignment is inconsistent across save-loading, and mousing over a leader picture can change it.

I was trying out Ring Galaxy, 500 stars, 6x3 AIs.  The instability starts with the first AI I found, and got more unpredictable the more AIs I found.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18