Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake  (Read 48232 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2017, 08:28:23 pm »

Personnally i think all the artworks are amazing in the game, but i must say that the bear leader on his flying throne sure is something :D

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2017, 09:46:04 pm »

Personnally i think all the artworks are amazing in the game, but i must say that the bear leader on his flying throne sure is something :D

Petar wanted to do a hovering throne and I was skeptical, but when I saw it I thought it was great

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2017, 04:25:16 am »

Hello,

I tried it quickly on my Linux without trouble, and i found the arts amazing.
I didn't play the original game, but i understand it's quite old. Is the gameplay the same ?
I usually play indie "ugly" games with most of the time, way more depth than the average "AAA" game.
Is it objectively good with (my) today's expectations ?

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2017, 07:25:29 am »

Hello,

I tried it quickly on my Linux without trouble, and i found the arts amazing.
I didn't play the original game, but i understand it's quite old. Is the gameplay the same ?
I usually play indie "ugly" games with most of the time, way more depth than the average "AAA" game.
Is it objectively good with (my) today's expectations ?

The original Master of Orion from 1993 is considered by many players to be the best-designed 4X game ever made. However, it was made in 1993 and has low resolution graphics & a hard to use interface by today's standards. Even so, a lot of today's players "discover" it and still find it enjoyable despite those handicaps.

Remnants of the Precursors is an attempt to take that original game and modernize its graphics and interface without changing the underlying game. It is still in Alpha state and missing a few features, most notably ship combat.

I have no idea what your expectations are, but it's a free download so there's no harm in trying.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2017, 07:34:35 am »

I'm not really objective as Master of Orion 1 is still even now my favorite 4X.
Remnants of the Precursors is improving tremendously (and in a very good way) on the visuals and sounds while being incredibly faithful to the original gameplay (that slider based everything was near perfect in my biaised opinion) and is then a must play to me and even if it's still work in progress you can see the greatness coming closer and closer with each update :)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2017, 08:40:14 am »

Remnants of the Precursors is very faithful to the original -- it even replicates the incorrect display (and true internal handling) of clean vs. waste when initiating transports.

Aside: are the extended sides available when playing without the AI multiplier, or do you just get the exact MOO1 experience?  (E.g., my current test game -- which should take weeks to play properly, had me next to an Alkari variant -- with its own art, not a recolored clone.  The GNN message I got for extincting them was classic pre-Glasnost Soviet.)

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2017, 09:02:13 am »

Aside: are the extended sides available when playing without the AI multiplier, or do you just get the exact MOO1 experience?

You only get the duplicated races when using the AI multiplier. That was placed into the game as a quick hack to allow players to easily populate very large maps with more races.

Since this is a feature clone, not a clone, you will never get the "exact" MOO1 experience. I'm not exactly sure that is desirable. This is because known hacks & exploits in the original game have been removed, and it also means that the AI will play differently because it will not make the same mistakes as in the original game.

However, there is a very real and concerted effort to make this game as faithful to the original game as possible despite these adjustments. For example, the research interest mechanic is different because the original game's mechanic could be exploited with micro. The same feature is in Remnants but does not require micro to maximize. This required a formulaic change to the mechanic to remove the micro while retaining the feature.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:58:14 am by RayFowler »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2017, 02:25:55 pm »

Alpha 3.13 is available
https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/04/21/alpha-3-13-arrives-with-more-goodies/

For more reading, the plans for the alpha 4 phase :
https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/2017/04/21/the-plan-for-alpha-4/

Now that I'm no longer scrambling around to find and fix memory problems, I expect (hope) the frequency of patch updates to drop a lot.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:17:08 pm by RayFowler »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2017, 03:42:08 pm »

Just completed a Sakkra victorious game by election in 3.13 without any problems , looks like the game is very stable for now.

Too bad as i was in the middle of a war with the Alkaris that didn't appreciated that much i forced a rebellion on their 2 best world (artifacts ones) and would have liked to see the outcome (even if i think i would have won it as i was ahead in tech and in empire size).
Maybe next time i'll refuse the ruling and see if i can stand the final war, assuming it's always in. Though this time i had no alliance, so i guess it would have been everyone against me, giving difficult odds.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2017, 05:21:50 pm »

Just completed a Sakkra victorious game by election in 3.13 without any problems , looks like the game is very stable for now.

Have the incite rebellion problems been toned down sufficiently? Hopefully the fix for invasions and bombings was good enough and I don't have to change the AI to act differently.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2017, 06:17:15 pm »

On my player vs AI side , it takes lots of attempts to finally have enough pop rebelling in a system to make it fall into chaos.

Now from the AI side, i must say that since you made the tweaks i have not lost a single system to rebellion in the many games i had, i'm not sure if it's toned down too much or if it is because i always rush my researches to computers III minimum before doing more balanced researches.

I'll have to replay Silicoids to be sure (as rushing to higher computer is slower than other races) , as they were the ones i had entire empire falling to rebellion before.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2017, 06:29:25 pm »

On my player vs AI side , it takes lots of attempts to finally have enough pop rebelling in a system to make it fall into chaos.

Now from the AI side, i must say that since you made the tweaks i have not lost a single system to rebellion in the many games i had, i'm not sure if it's toned down too much or if it is because i always rush my researches to computers III minimum before doing more balanced researches.

I'll have to replay Silicoids to be sure (as rushing to higher computer is slower than other races) , as they were the ones i had entire empire falling to rebellion before.

Well, I didn't tone it down as much as fix a bug wherein colony rebels were not being killed proportionally in invasions or bombings. That fix had to happen. I'm glad it seems to have made a real impact on the problem.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2017, 07:29:06 pm »

Currently playing as Silicoid on the smallest universe and after the early aggressive expanding while rushing to computers, i'm now owning 9 systems.

And from now, every single turns every races in contact are now sending the "you're too big of a threat stop expanding" type of message, every single turns.

I think there should be some kind of delay for an AI to resend this message.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2017, 09:51:09 pm »

Currently playing as Silicoid on the smallest universe and after the early aggressive expanding while rushing to computers, i'm now owning 9 systems.

And from now, every single turns every races in contact are now sending the "you're too big of a threat stop expanding" type of message, every single turns.

I think there should be some kind of delay for an AI to resend this message.

Good catch! I just changed the AI recently to hold your excessive size against you every turn instead of just when you add a new system (after which it would decay). However, I need to make that incident warn only on turns when you gain a new system.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18