Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dungmaggots  (Read 523 times)

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dungmaggots
« on: April 11, 2017, 12:11:19 pm »

This is not an exceptional fort by any standards, but it is the one I've had most fun in and kept running for the longest time, currently I think 8 in-game years. I am not a very experienced player, I have only played for like couple a months (not counting when I tried to first learn the game few years ago), so I am very happy with Dungmaggots.

It has created wealth worth 4,5 million dwarfmoney, survived forgotten beasts, overland meagabeasts, sieges, and some annoying bugs like guests who never leave and outpost liaison who hangs around most of the year and never does diplomacy stuff anymore.

I currently have the liaison and many of the guests trapped in a tavern built over a volcano, with a 2x2 trapdoor in the middle of the room that I keep opening in hopes of fixing the aforementioned bugs. The outside of the tavern will be adorned with slabs memorializing these sacrifices.

I am also building more defenses in preparation for the next siege, as the last one killed half my military and I can't survive another one like that. I currently have a magma moat surrounding half of the fort and am making another one on the other side. I am also reviewing some of my solutions; during the second siege a troll broke the emergency exit gate to the lava moat, flooding the countryside with fire. Under that gate was drain tunnel for cistern, closed with a drawbridge, but that was not magma safe and it had destroyed. I later found that another troll had made it halfway the drain and would have totally annihilated my burrowed civilians, but someone or something had killed it before it got that far.

It is 28th Moonstone, 150. Guests are being sacrificed, another siege is being anticipated, but there is always time for side-projects. Suggest me things to do!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Dungmaggots
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 04:03:01 am »

Magma Cannon/Volcano
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 07:22:48 am »

Use magma ! It is renewable and pretty cool !
Trap some guests in magma-safe cages (with cave-in dust over cage-traps)
Put the cages in a sacrificial room. Link cages to magma-safe lever.

Give the guests a chance to escape : it's always funnier. If they can escape the sacrificial room, they are free ! (so, make sure they don't escape...)
Ideas :
- Fill the sacrificial room with 1/7 magma (or more), open the cages and whatch the guests feet burn when you open the cages.
- You may use a dangerous creature behind a glass window, so guests will see it and run away when you open the cage. That way, they will run in circles, some of them might even reach the exit ! Way funnier that way !
- Free the guests on the magma-free sacrificial chamber. Use a creature to scare them away. Lay some pressure plates here and there, when walked on, they open a hatch over them, dropping 7/7 magma on the guest who walked on it.
- Other ideas like that.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 10:35:32 am »

lots of crazy cool ideas

Haha I think I will try some of these :D The cages will probably also help with the FPS problems when I trap the remaining guests. I only dropped twenty or something into the lava and there's still many in the tavern. The liaison was among the dead so hopefully I will get a new one this autumn and get to order some stuff.