Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [The Planet of Souls] A Proficient Overseer takes on a *Savage World*  (Read 538 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Craftbridge, my other thread currently on the front page of this forum, has helped me refine my Overseer-fu from "I'm just poking around and playing with what I know how to do" to "Okay, I KNOW how to do this, and there aren't enough challenges for me in this Fortress, even though I'm doing better than I ever have before."

I tend to write up as I play, so if I haven't posted for a while check for new edits. Give a shout out if you want to be Dorfed.

Spoiler: world gen specs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)

And with that, we are off to Stabbedlancers, founded by the group The Labyrinthine Lancers.

Huh. How about that? A breeding pair of horses. Except they're both asexual. Because of course they are. And 2 Ace female cats, but of course. At least I can get everything I deliberately brought with me to breed.

One of my reasons I got kinda bored by Craftbridges, I think, weas I didn't have enough goals. So I'm setting up some short-term goals for me:

Get Deduk Wetdaggers married to Bomrek Vaultlizards Rith Glazedyelled Why is he 16 years older I want their babies Zon Minedfancied, Weaponsmith (set up honeymoon suite).

Get Uzol Boredguilds (Bowyer/Butcher/Tanner) married to Lokum Basementsearched, Not-a-Fisherdorf

Get Rith Glazeyelled, Amazing-martial-stats (Strength 95, Agility 19, Toughness 74, Endurance 62, Recupetion 82, Disease Resistance 35) married to Lorbam Kindlances, Potter and fellow Militia-Dorf.

That takes care of my 3 "Wants Family" Dorfs.

Get Kogan Crazedarrows fully equipped with armor and some kind of weapon, and training with a migrant from the first wave. She's asexual, so therefore she will not be thrown into the baby-making suites ever, and is exiled to the military.

Get everything inside/Underground.

Build Trade Depot

After the Dwarven Caravan leaves, the raws will be edited to allow goblin sieges.

Mid-term Goals (End of Year 3):

Have at least 4 decently-trained members in the Militia.
Magma-powered Metal/Ceramic/Glassworks
Functional Minecart system
Begin working on a Megapile cube.

Get at least 1 other couple married in the next 5 years

Overseer's Journal,
Granite 1, Year 2
Stabbedlancers

I never asked for this. I didn't ask to be born into this horrific world. I didn't ask to be sent off to make sure dwarfkind didn't die out in case the goblins attacked the Mountainhome again, in greater numbers, and gets wiped out. It was only by Risen Diamondcolor's own grace that the demon didn't kill us all.

All I wanted was to settle down and have a family. And, by Armok, I will! This fort will survive in this savage world if it's the last thing I do. Even if the Mountainhome is wracked by dragons, rocs, and Hydras, Goblins, and the Goblins' horrible demon master, we will survive, and thrive. We will take everything the world has to throw at us, capture what we can, and then throw all of it right back into its face!

In the parlance of my people:

Strike the Earth!

Spoiler: The Seven (click to show/hide)

Malachite 12th, Year 2
Stabbedlancers

By the mountainhome everything here is enormous. Giant Beetles, Giant Ticks, Giant Barn Owls....we dare not go hunting without a fully armed and armored hunter. Kogan Crazedarrows has volunteered to be our defense and our miner.

We have moved the Turkeys and the seeds inside, but mining goes slowly. There was but a thin layer of soil before we ran straight into basalt. Our excavations go slowly, but steadily. We have already exhausted the supply of sand that we brought with us, but we discovered Fire Clay as we did our digging. A steady supply of the stuff will let us create large ceramic pots without having to glaze anything.

Limestone 21st, Year 2
Stabbedlancers

Giant Elephant balls I had forgotten how quickly clay piled up if you tell people to collect clay indefinitely. The good news is that I have plenty of building material and potting material for easily the next three years.

The bad news is that if I ever forget to exclude Fire Clay from any stockpile, I'm worried that only fire clay will ever be deposited into the stockpile.

On the other hand, we don't have much for trade, and I'm going to see just how much I can get for each unit of fire clay. If I run low on funds, I'll be selling off the raw clay.

The third migrant wave has arrived, and, with it, the news that the Goblins will be marching on us very, very soon.

Our Metwalworking shop is going to be working night and day to get our now three militia members fully kitted out. A wave of poults has hatched, and have been caged, as has litters of kittens, puppies, and piglets. Our new butcher is sharpening his knives as we begin selectively breeding our animals. We have also begun work on a Siege entrance, that is long and windy, designed to give our militia plenty of time to get fully equipped, show up, and kill whatever makes it past our trap gauntlet.

Except for the dogs. they're all gonna be trained as war dogs and given to the militia members. their selective breeding begins with the next generation that is currently growing up in the cage. Our mechanic has been doing nothing but making mechanisms, and it is time to begin work on our traps.

It has been further decided that each soldier will be assigned a breeding pair of War Dogs once they are trained by Obok. Any resulting puppies will be thrown into a cage until grown, at which time they will be trained for war, then given a Doberbomb assignment in case of emergency.

The exception, of course, will be our breeding bitch and dam. They will be kept safe deep inside the Fortress, pumping out puppies.

Personal log. Keep out. THIS MEANS YOU, MOM!

I really need to get a new diary. I'm an Overseer now, and my mom is a long ways away. And I'm 69 years old. And I lead an Expedition.

I've changed my mind about who I want babies with. I WANT Rith, but he doesn't want anything to do with me :(

I feel the need to play sad music on something my mind is trying to call a "guitar" and get "sad violins" playing. I have no idea what either of those things are, but they sound stupid. As Overseer and Expedition Leader, I am ordering Zon Minedfancied to love me and put babies into me. It may take a while to convince him.

Spoiler: Wave 3 Census (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Trap Restrictions (click to show/hide)

Granite, Year 3.

One year down, the rest of them to go. No Goblins have been sighted, though a pair of humans have come to investigate our tavern. All of the supplies (bar some bones and skulls) have been brought inside, the entrance we're using now has a gate that can be closed, and our labyrinth upstairs has been prepared for invaders. It is low on traps at the moment, but its primary purpose is to slow them down and weaken them so the militia can be fully geared up and ready to deal with them.

Of slightly more importance is the discovery that we are out of iron. We have one full set of armor, and a few scraps of other armor. Unfortunately, our only miner is our Swordsdorf. We're going to have to dig, and fast.

But that's not MY problem. I will be leaving the Overseer journal for a year or more, while I.....convince Zon that we're meant to be together, because I say so. Also get a baby thrown up inside me. I'm going to throw this into the Dining Room and whoever picks it up is the new Overseer until I get back.

Once I DO get a baby, that lucky bitch Udol is going to be thrown into the Honeymoon Suite with Rith. They may be let out prematurely if invaders show up, because they're both in the militia.

Granite 2nd.

The miner, Kogan, tells me we've hit Hematite. Excellent. Sounds like a fairly big vein, too. Zon is in the Dining Room, and I'm just getting there now.

OH LOVER BOY!!!!!

Deduk, upper left getting in the mood by listening to music. Zon is lower-center. Curiously, the Bard that is visiting also happens to be the Human Guild Rep, but the civ hasn't shown up in the list yet. we also have a human dancer. this is a marked improvement over the last fort, that never, EVER got visitors.

[Editor's Note]

Wait. There are NO ELVES in this world. that means.......WOODEN POTS ALL AROUND!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:51:14 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [The Planet of Souls] A Proficient Overseer takes on a *Savage World*
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 08:33:33 pm »

Overseer's Journal
Moonstone 1st, 3, Early Winter
Stabbedlancers -Under Siege-

Dear Journal,

Our defenses will be put to the test very, very shortly. 8 Goblins have arrived. 2 Spearmen, 2 Bowmen, a Crossbowman, a Swordsman, a Hammerman, and a Maceman. Apparently we forgot to forge armor for two of our militia members' legs. However, each of our 3 militia members have been assigned a breeding pair of war dogs, with another pair in reserve.

I remain trapped in this room with Zon, as I have been for the last year. Neither one of us are very interested in each other anymore. I would go so far as to say that we're not even on friendly terms with each other.

I have been able to keep the fort going through notes passed under the door. Our ramps leading to the surface are almost complete. They go from the tavern down to the Magma Forges via a massive spiral, surrounding a single up/down staircase. Once the entire ramp is complete we will assemble or carve tracks along hte entire route, and get minecarts rolling up and down. In order to do so safely, we will also need to build a perpetual motion machine, which we might as well use as our hospital well and emergency drinking supply. While the second cavern we initially breached into had a complete lack of water, the recently discovered first and third caverns have plenty of water.

Buuuut we need to survive the siege first. And that means we need someone to pull the lever to close the main door permanently.

Oh, sweet Risen Diamondcolor. Morul is still outside. The poor man has never been the same since that acidental cavern collapse that killed two dwarves. Ever since he's just crawled around, babbling. Refusing to eat or drink, or seek medical attention for his right hand and wrist. Last I heard from him he was starving and almost dead of thirst, and always drowsy.

There is no hope for him now. He will be slaughtered like the sheep still penned outside.  The lever has been pulled, everyone has retreated to the Forge, and the militia are staging just past our completed section of the trapped entrance hall, with its many stone-fall traps, pair of weapons traps, and pair of cage traps.

Poor Morul, I knew him well.

Even if the militia charged out now to cover him, I don't think that he even has the cognitive power left, let alone physical speed, to make it back inside.

Moonstone 6th.

The Militia reports that Morul made it back inside, only to die of thirst just past the first set of traps.

Speaking of which, the weapon traps in conjunction with the stone-fall traps worked exceedingly well. Not so much against the goblins with shields, but the archer who tried to bat aside a stone with his bow got CRUSHED. not illed, but injured. We are down to a single, injured, crossbowman, and a swordsman, spearman, and axeman. And they're approaching the corner around which our heroes wait.

Although I am slightly concerned. A couple of the goblins did do a fair bit of didging with the weapons traps.

Moonstone 10th.

Death is all around me.

The Militia are dead. We are all going to meet in the tavern, scavenge what weapons and armor we can, and face these goblins together.

Armok help us all.

The journal continues in a different, and far shakier, hand.

Moonstone 23rd, Year 3. Early Winter
Solon Channelblockade.
4th (5th?) Expedition Leader of Stabbedlancers
I'm not sure which. there was a lot of dying.

The last of the greenskins are dead, but at what cost?

We have lost 20 dwarves today. And we lost them facing only 8 goblins. I'm not even sure who is still alive anymore. The Entry Hall is slick with blood and viscera. Weaponry, armor, and shields are everywhere. I'm not sure who even is still here, and who is dead. We've lost at least two legendary dwarves, and I don't know how many more are wounded. I'm not sure if I'm going to make it. I got sliced up pretty damn well by those damn speargoblins. I.....I held my own fairly well, but I'm not sure how much longer I will last. Do we even have anyone with medical training left?

We're down to 14 dwarves. Who knows how many more we will lose before we stabilise.

We.....we spent too much time on vanity projects. we need to get our metalworking going NOW. we need to get a force together, armed, and armored in steel. We have a vein of iron. We have.....we have...is it Marble? I can't even think. All I know is

The rest of the page is covered in a blood stain, and is illegible.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 09:19:34 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!