Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Philosophy Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo  (Read 22578 times)

Shub-Nullgurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Github
Philosophy Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo
« on: April 12, 2017, 05:13:31 pm »

Well, this has went from the original topic to something completely different.

Apparently now we're discussing what's in a PhD.

Spoiler: Original Post (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:00:35 am by Shub-Nullgurath »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Limited Suffrage: Should Voting be a Right?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 05:15:58 pm »

I might be in the minority, but I think infants shouldn't be allowed to vote.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 05:21:08 pm »

Should people who put nothing into a system be allowed to influence the direction the system goes?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 05:25:55 pm »

Limiting who can vote by arbitrarily designed parameters simply creates a form of tyranny whereby those who can vote have power over those who cannot.  There is no inherent benefit to such a system, just closed perspective that ultimately leads to stagnation, revolution, or destruction through other means.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 05:28:59 pm »

Should people who put nothing into a system be allowed to influence the direction the system goes?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
https://youtu.be/F54rqDh2mWA?t=14s
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 05:32:43 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 05:46:57 pm »

What do you all think?

I think this sounds suspiciously like sourcing ideas for a term paper. :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 05:57:20 pm »

Nah, it's actually just sourcing ideas for the New Republic of Reddit, where all parties except the Libertarian Party are criminalized due to their authoritarian evil, voting rights are exclusively for 16-40 year old landowning tech gurus, the elderly and genetically unfit are euthanized to encourage good breeding, and the age of consent has been changed to 13 to be inline with biotruths.

Aah, now that I've gotten my shitposting quota, no, there is no reasonable subjective limitation for voting. Age is good as the singular voting qualification because it's absolute, you can't pretend someone's not an adult, or at least not for very long. The only issue is in selecting what age, which is why you've got people who say that only some higher age should be the limit in order to seek more maturity and intelligence in the electorate, and people like me who think it should be lowered by a few more years because the political independence of 18-year olds and 15-year olds is about the same and many people never make their own political decisions anyway.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 06:19:22 pm »

Obv. voters should be white, be landowners, and should be able to pass a test (be literate). /s

Real talk though, I wish inmates and felons retained the right to vote in the US.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 07:57:03 pm »

Well, just to go on the 'enlightened democracy' stance of things I do feel a certain level of intelligence and age should be a factor of who is allowed to vote.  Of course current measurements of intelligence are inherently flawed and taking someone's 'achievements' as a factor of that would be incorrect in my opinion.  Maybe a relatively simple test regarding knowledge of the country/system you are voting in would be a decent idea just so people are encouraged to inform themselves a bit on what the different votes actually mean. 

Though realistically the votes that could be considered 'bad choices based on misinformation' would end up not mattering since ideally the masses would make choices that would benefit the masses as a whole but... yeah touchy subject matter.
Nom nom nom

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 08:04:41 pm »

Well, just to go on the 'enlightened democracy' stance of things I do feel a certain level of intelligence and age should be a factor of who is allowed to vote.  Of course current measurements of intelligence are inherently flawed and taking someone's 'achievements' as a factor of that would be incorrect in my opinion.  Maybe a relatively simple test regarding knowledge of the country/system you are voting in would be a decent idea just so people are encouraged to inform themselves a bit on what the different votes actually mean. 

Though realistically the votes that could be considered 'bad choices based on misinformation' would end up not mattering since ideally the masses would make choices that would benefit the masses as a whole but... yeah touchy subject matter.

It's simple, we just need to establish someone to establish what the enlightened masses should be voting for if they were voting in their best interests.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 08:21:37 pm »

Yeeaah, making voting rights be reliant on anything that's particularly manipulatable (e.g. everything except stuff like over an age line) is basically asking for trouble. Conceptually it might be good in a sort of ideal world, but practically you're ceding disproportionate amounts of power to whoever can figure out how to leverage the requirement in their favor. US actually has a pretty blatantly obvious one; we allow disenfranchisement for criminal record, and in part (though only in part, mind) because of that there's a number of crimes not nearly of a magnitude or impact to warrant that, that are on the books, fairly well enforced, and often enough tailored to disproportionately hit specific demographics in one manner or another.

If you had, say, military service be it, you can pretty much guarantee that there's going to be an odd trend in who's taking the most casualties, or exactly how the instruction is handled, or cultural/legal/etc. rules tailored subtly and not to drum folks with undesired political likelihoods out of the military and subsequently out of political power, or etc., so forth, so on. Some kind of means test? Language structure that favors a particular culture or demographic, specific subjects likely to be fairly unfamiliar for certain sorts, and suchlike. Basically just kind of a mess.

... that said, I could see some degree of limitation based on stake holder significance. Stateside we already do that, with specific districts voting for their own representatives, local/county ordinances, etc. It's something you should keep a careful eye on, because if there's anything locals are terrible at it's identifying when shit they're doing isn't as local as they think, but it's a useful tool for keeping on top of ground level nuance.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 08:38:29 pm »

Yeah... like I said, conceptually I can see it. Practically, I guaran-damn-tee you that the second we did you would start seeing education curriculum failing (more) in fairly specific ways (probably on top of a handful of others as a smokescreen) in a number of areas, along with the oddest sorts of logistical difficulties in certain places that just happened to make that test a complete pain in the ass to get to or take for some folks. I'd probably recommend just cutting down on requirements for immigrants instead, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 08:47:46 pm »

Yep. That's the core problem with requiring any sort of test of competence or dedication to the nation, as soon as it's imposed you'll have every single group of fuckers in the country scrambling to abuse the new system to deny rights to their political opponents. You think it's bad now with just the extensive gerrymandering, disproportionate power of wealth, &c? The instant you say that people have to pass a civics test to vote is the instant that we start seeing even more education cuts. They're already doing it just because an ignorant population can't effectively resist, how do you think things will go when they can deny voting rights by slashing education even further?

It's bad enough that felons are, in so many places, not only cut out of society and functionally forced to return to crime, but also unable to even vote for someone who might change things for them. Imagine if that could be done to any group of people without a powerful political bloc protecting their interests.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 09:02:32 pm »

Yeah my intelligence idea was more in the sci-fi 'put this hat on and we'll make sure your brain works.'  Basically, are you of the age we decided upon that means you are allowed to make decisions for yourself and also of the mental capacity to make decisions for yourself.  Sort of like the drinking/smoking/gambling age limits, everyone pretty much agrees that those things are bad for you but we set an age limit on them so you 'technically' know that it's bad for you before you choose to consume it.

If we had the technology to be able to tell 'hey is this person also mentally mature enough to make a decision that is going to affect not only them but everyone else's lives?' then that would be my golden idea of what should control who is allowed to vote.  Even then though, we humans are notoriously bad for rigging things and I'd bet on there being at least some cases where people would manipulate the tech to make groups they dislike auto-fail the test.

Of course you also come up to the problem of what do you decide is the minimum... comprehension necessary for people to be able to vote?  There's a lot of grey area there even in similar age-based exclusions, such as the variance in drinking age (or lack there-of) between different places.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 09:14:12 pm »

Doesn't the USA already have a system in place where if you are... well... deemed insane you can't vote?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18