Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)  (Read 27183 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)
« on: April 12, 2017, 09:22:22 pm »

So on the wiki's list of challenges, one of the challenges is the Luddite Challenge. It plays like a normal fort, but with one rule: no mechanisms can be built or used. This means that we cannot build traps, levers, pressure plates... anything relating to mechanisms. My idea: a succession fort that follows this challenge.

Anyone game? Cause there are a few things you need to know:

List of players:

1. Derpy Dev
2. zazq
3. hun
4. puppyguard
5. MrLurkety

I have been informed that the turn order is out of date. Tell me if it still is.

Zazq genned the world, good job him! There is an inordinate amount of beasts in the world, and the lack of traps means we actually have to fight them in an actual battle that does not involve cave in traps or magma cannons or minecarts.

Ze rules, for those playing and those interested:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:04:33 pm by Derpy Dev »

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A luddite succession fort (Needs players and a well genned world)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 12:16:46 am »

sure, i'm in.  The only safe way to use magma is with mechanisms, so we should totally have surface magma on the map.  bonus points for either unicorns, elephants or giant eagles.  If you're fine with 43.03, i can try to whip up a flat volcanic unicorn and semimegabeast infested horrorfest.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:18:59 am by zazq »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 08:26:13 am »

sure, i'm in.  The only safe way to use magma is with mechanisms, so we should totally have surface magma on the map.  bonus points for either unicorns, elephants or giant eagles.  If you're fine with 43.03, i can try to whip up a flat volcanic unicorn and semimegabeast infested horrorfest.

That should be compatible with Lazy Newb Pack, but we won't know until we test. So yes, please gen a world in this fashion. Thanks!

Also, when you do generate it, please send it to me for download for two reasons:

I would like to make sure it works with LNP and see if I need to install 43.03. It should be compatible, but I would rather not leave it up to chance.

I would like a few copies of all the saves backed up onto Google Drive.

Thank you for joining the madness Zazq!

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 02:54:43 pm »

I haven't played seriously for a while, and have never played successions, but that sounds like fun, so sign me in!

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 03:06:48 pm »

alright, i shall begin searching for a site.

BAM

Dwarf Fortress - Volcanic Unicorns Luddite Fortress!   

About 4 times as many megabeasts, semis and titans than normal.

Fortress Name: Keshanfamthut, Flamehorses.
Group Name: Stukonkivish, The Squashed Lancer.

Embark Profile

Oddom - Grower(5)
Monom - Grower(5)
Adil - Mason(5)
Kol - Appraiser(1)
Mistem - Miner(5)
Aban - Miner(5)
Tirist - Miner(5)

3 copper picks,
1 copper axe,
40 dwarf ale,
20 cat meat,
5 of each underground seed,
5 cat leather,
139 calcite.

2 dogs, 2 cats, 4 turkeys.

A nice flat lawn full of trees and unicorns, and a 25z tall volcano mountain.

SAVE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12834

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 04:01:18 pm by zazq »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 06:05:18 pm »

I haven't played seriously for a while, and have never played successions, but that sounds like fun, so sign me in!

Welcome aboard Hun! This is, admittedly, my first succession fort too.

alright, i shall begin searching for a site.

BAM

Dwarf Fortress - Volcanic Unicorns Luddite Fortress!   

About 4 times as many megabeasts, semis and titans than normal.

Fortress Name: Keshanfamthut, Flamehorses.
Group Name: Stukonkivish, The Squashed Lancer.

Embark Profile

Oddom - Grower(5)
Monom - Grower(5)
Adil - Mason(5)
Kol - Appraiser(1)
Mistem - Miner(5)
Aban - Miner(5)
Tirist - Miner(5)

3 copper picks,
1 copper axe,
40 dwarf ale,
20 cat meat,
5 of each underground seed,
5 cat leather,
139 calcite.

2 dogs, 2 cats, 4 turkeys.

A nice flat lawn full of trees and unicorns, and a 25z tall volcano mountain.

SAVE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12834

Thank you very much! Flamehorses is an awesome name, I like it! Out of curiosity, what does the neighborhood look like? And as soon as I unpack the save, I'm gonna test to make sure it runs in LNP.

Other than that, we are almost good to go! I think we should wait to officially start until we get at least one more player. And how long should one player get? One in game year? Or three days IRL? I say two seasons.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 06:12:29 pm by Derpy Dev »

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 06:21:27 pm »

Other than that, we are almost good to go! I think we should wait to officially start until we get at least one more player. And how long should one player get? One in game year? Or three days IRL? I say two seasons.

I would propose one year per turn, because two seasons seems to be too short period. And a week IRL.

I'm also wondering, what kind of neighbours we have. Do we have towers nearby, or many goblin civs?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flamehorses (Needs more players, then we can start!)
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 06:39:33 pm »

Added a rules list! Be sure to read it, it is kind of important.

Also, I booted up the file and it did work with my version of DF. yay.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 07:06:19 pm »

How about only metal bars must be forbidding. After the are Unforbidden they get crammed, so it needs to be deconstruct and melted.

Edit: nah,i meant to post here, I thought for some reason you were taking suggestion for rules. I though it would be fitting as no mechanism = no drawbridges. So a way to minimize forbidding doors would make things more fun.

No, post can't be deleted. I won't make a new one.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:47:13 pm by onciblu »
Ô_ quack

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 08:33:33 pm »

Way about only metal bars must b be forbidding. After the are Unforbidden they get crammed, so it needs to be deconstruct and melted.

Did you, um, put this in the wrong thread? Can you delete this? Errr... should I even be replying?

Ahem. Back to the subject at hand, I like the perfect, square lawn we got. That's just awesome. Probably gonna build a tower out of duplicated gold there.

That does remind me of an important question. You might have heard of the metal duplication glitch, where some items, specifically giant ax blades, melt for more than one bar, even though they cost one bar to build. Should this be banned in Flamehorses? Or do we have to do something like sacrifice a unicorn to the volcano god for every 5 bars we get this way?

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 08:52:47 pm »

That does remind me of an important question. You might have heard of the metal duplication glitch, where some items, specifically giant ax blades, melt for more than one bar, even though they cost one bar to build. Should this be banned in Flamehorses? Or do we have to do something like sacrifice a unicorn to the volcano god for every 5 bars we get this way?

I think that if we start trying to list all the exploits we don't want players to use and discuss them, it will take eternity. I guess it is enough to state, that exploits are undesirable and hope for common sense of players.
As far as my opinion is concerned, I personally never use this one, and typically do not use many others things as well (danger rooms, impulse ramps, quantum stockpiles, bridge smasher, ...), though some of them can be quite allowable.

Although, it worth including the rule, stating that cheating with dfhack (like pouring magma on that forgotten beast) is banned.

PS. Besides, a good question to discuss is how we will CATCH unicorns to sacrifice it later, without mechanisms, hehe.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 09:01:44 pm by hun »

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 12:49:59 am »

i was rambunctious with the embark creation, and don't have a save to read about the surroundings.  I guess i could dredge up some information from legend viewer, but i'm not doing that tonight.  The embark isn't really ideal in that it lacks flux.  maybe i'll try harder to make a better embark for us some time tomorrow.

no mechanisms means no traditional traps (except upright spears, but you can't trigger them, but you could fill a hole with them, though i'm not sure how to push things down the hole), no levers, no pressure plates, no screwpumps or wells. 

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 09:02:05 am »

no mechanisms means no traditional traps (except upright spears, but you can't trigger them, but you could fill a hole with them, though i'm not sure how to push things down the hole), no levers, no pressure plates, no screwpumps or wells.

Hmmm...

###      $$$
@@@@@$$$
###      $$$

Open space #
Floor @
Ballista $

Ballista dodge trap anyone? We could fire a wooden ballista arrow at enemies adjacent to the pit and hope they dodge into it. Presumably the pit is filled with upright steel spikes or lava.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 08:57:01 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - Volcanic Unicorns

We are from the Certain Trumpet of Daggers dwarven civilization.

All of the elves and humans, and one of the two dwarven civilizations were all destroyed. 

The Banners of Decency (dwarven) - destroyed by the dragon Tul Glowinghot the Sizzling Jewels.

The Living Growths (elves) - destroyed by colossus Atast Crazedknighted the Brilliant Ruler.

The Wing of Reigns (elves) - destroyed by dragon Flameheats the Diamonds of Fortune.

The Fiend of Judging (goblins) - destroyed by the roc Lasiv Strengthclaciers the Earthen Direction of Fording.

The Renouned Realms (human) - destroyed by hydra Umci Stenchchant the Strength of Cysts.

The Kingdom of Birds (human) - kinda petered out?  Their last king became a necromancer and nobody replaced him. 

-=-

That leaves us, the Certain Trumpet of Daggers, 1 goblin and 2 kobold civilizations.  We are currently at peace with these nations. 

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 09:23:08 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - Volcanic Unicorns

We are from the Certain Trumpet of Daggers dwarven civilization.

All of the elves and humans, and one of the two dwarven civilizations were all destroyed. 

The Banners of Decency (dwarven) - destroyed by the dragon Tul Glowinghot the Sizzling Jewels.

The Living Growths (elves) - destroyed by colossus Atast Crazedknighted the Brilliant Ruler.

The Wing of Reigns (elves) - destroyed by dragon Flameheats the Diamonds of Fortune.

The Fiend of Judging (goblins) - destroyed by the roc Lasiv Strengthclaciers the Earthen Direction of Fording.

The Renouned Realms (human) - destroyed by hydra Umci Stenchchant the Strength of Cysts.

The Kingdom of Birds (human) - kinda petered out?  Their last king became a necromancer and nobody replaced him. 

-=-

That leaves us, the Certain Trumpet of Daggers, 1 goblin and 2 kobold civilizations.  We are currently at peace with these nations.

...Everyone got killed by monsters. Great.

Well, at least we don't have to deal with elven shenanigans.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17