Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

First Year: What will happen?

!!XXDumpster FireXX!!
- 3 (37.5%)
Wait weeks for an animation or drawing to be done. Find it was fucking worth it.
- 2 (25%)
Giant Elephant Cavalry
- 1 (12.5%)
Disaster within a year
- 1 (12.5%)
Best fortress. Ever. Of all time.
- 1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: World 13: OrangeOutrage, A Community Fortress  (Read 1450 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
World 13: OrangeOutrage, A Community Fortress
« on: June 20, 2017, 08:13:23 pm »

So guys, I'm done with university stuff for the moment, which ate my time up from around November. At least until research starts, which is going to eat up time. But until then, I'm starting a Community Fortress.

Welcome to the 13th world I've generated in this version! There is but one dwarf civilization, which is awesome because multiple civilizations is weird in some ways. If there's only ONE dwarf civilization you can talk about The Dwarven Civilization. Really.

Feel free to sign up for a dwarf!

A community fortress start means:
1) We're NOT necessarily going to swap the fortress every year. Mandated work can be for more than a year of in game time. However, we can make this a succession game if people want.
2) The community can GUIDE the creation of the fortress. There will be starting setups. Besides the starting seven if you pick a dwarf you can pretty much set their work and I will try to respect that.

No really.

Additional Rules:
-People can ask for more than one dwarf, within reason. RPing the dwarfs should be separate unless you want them to be psychically connected. I have a number of side characters that will be brought in.
-The starting seven given are six female, one male.
-This is an untamed wilds area. There are 299 giant elephants in this world as of the last census, on 1st Granite 125. Nobody knows who the fuck did that census and there's a theory it was aliens, but we're really glad somebody did it. Unless it was Urist. Because fuck that guy.

Backstory: Gomaththur, The Legendary Universes

Spoiler: Embark Geography (click to show/hide)

An expedition of seven dwarves is to be sent to the west coast of The Special Continent, which comprises most of the known world. King Anul and the Council of The Slick Boulder have expressed their desire to establish a modern capital for this sector of the world, one that will be a center of learning, manufacturing, the arts, technology, a crossroads for all cultures, and of course a military stronghold. An outpost shall be established upon the stream Crushedmyth, in the Sorcerous Steppes.

Mandate - Year 125 (First Year) <- Commentary would be great.

Work to be completed in the first year: Establish an outpost.
-Construct or mine out 8 decent houses and 12 decent bedrooms.
-Establish 100 square meters of farming space.
-Construct storage facilities.
-Establish a distillery.
-Establish basic manufacturing.
-Establish basic plumbing.
-Establish an inn.
-Establish a library.
Optional:
-Establish Rudimentary Hospital
-Build a barracks
-Designate a temple

Sign-Ups (with dwarf outlined):
CaptainArchmage

Dwarves (with jobs outlined):

"CaptainArchmage" Gearedguilds, First Citizen (Expedition Leader and Broker, Dwarf, Male, Aged 64) - CaptainArchmage
Tirist Waspglazed, Miner (Dwarf, Female, Aged 53)
Kogsak Revereddoors, Miner (Chief Medical Dwarf, Dwarf, Female, Aged 69)
Bembul Townmirror, Carpenter (Militia Commander, Dwarf, Female, Aged 52)
Ezum Sternwork, Mason (Dwarf, Female, Aged 76)
Catten Blockadeobeyed, Planter (Dwarf, Female, Aged 80)
Sazir Manorstandards, Mechanic (Dwarf, Female, Aged 62)

"CaptainArchmage" Tomestockaded, First Citizen (Expedition Leader and Broker, Weaponsmith, Dwarf, Male, Aged 63)
Nil Oilbow, Miner (Dwarf, Female, Aged 76)
Monom Inkpraises, Miner (Chief Medical Dwarf, Dwarf, Female, Aged 85)
Logem Blockadecreed, Carpenter (Militia Commander, Dwarf, Female, Aged 53)
Bembul Anklelash, Mason (Dwarf, Female, Aged 81)
Id Tangletreaty, Planter (Dwarf, Female, Aged 51)
onul Esteemedbolts, Mechanic (Dwarf, Female, Aged 75)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 07:22:54 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World 13: OrangeOutrage, A Community Fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 08:14:46 pm »

Reserved, just in case. And that's the only reservation I will be doing.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 03:08:54 pm »

The first attempt was a total dumpster fire in the sense of "bad embark". Seems like there's a couple of waterfalls and no flux, which the Grand Assembly of the Dwarves would not like. Not at all. Nor does the FPS for that matter. So, I restarted the fortress from the beginning, don't worry, nothing much was lost. Or anything.

Here's the first update! Again, this is a community fort BUT we might be able to turn it into a succession fortress later down the line. Feel free to sign up for a dwarf.

Journal of CaptainArchmage, 1st Obsidian 124

After locking myself in my library and getting blackout sober for about three months straight, I have emerged. And I have been given a mighty task! A task to establish a mighty capital on the western coast of The Special Continent! The council of The Slick Boulder has personally given me a mission to expand our civilisation, and expand it we shall.

I will study the maps and stars and try to work out the best location.

Journal of CaptainArchmage, 15th Obsidian 124

I've determined this location will be the best one. I've highlighted the rough area where we shall embark, a tropical shrubland in The Sorcerous Steppes. The area is believed to have flux stone for steel production, and covers the stream Crushedmyth so it will not have a problem with access to water or energy. It is also in the untamed wilds, so it probably contains unknown fauna to study....... and tame. Best of all, it is on the west coast and nearly at the equator! It shall thus form a bridge between all civilisations.

I've taken advantage of my new salary to hire a few of my friends to do the hiring of the expedition to me. They have impeccable tastes. Hopefully they can move into the fortress.

The following letter is attached to the journal. It is covered in drinks stains.

10th Obsidian 124
Dear Moobediah Jones,

Hope this letter finds you well. I need your expertise - I need 6 qualified dwarves for an expedition to the west coast. I include a downpayment of 50 Aurai and will provide an additional 150 Aurai on completion. I may be able to hook us up with a whole bar at the end of this, even.

If this goes well you can come along to see the new fortress. I'm sure you can find something to do there!

Signed,
CaptainArchmage

Journal of CaptainArchmage, 20th Obsidian 124

Apparently I have to do the shopping for the expedition too. What the hell do you mean you don't have kangaroo milk or char?

Spoiler: Shopping List (click to show/hide)

Well since they didn't have the stuff I wanted so I replaced it with enough varieties of milk to keep a hipster barrista occupied for along time. So this is the stuff we're bringing along.

Journal of CaptainArchmage, 1st Granite 125

And we're off! Out into the spring sunshine! We have with us:
"CaptainArchmage" Tomestockaded, First Citizen (Expedition Leader and Broker, Weaponsmith, Dwarf, Male, Aged 63)

I can't wait to see the sunlight once more!

The rest of the page seems to be covered in vomit.

7th Granite 125

After seven days of travelling, we're finally over the sun sickness. Fucking maps directed us through a fucking swamp now. Fortunately, I have a degree major in astronomy so navigation isn't such a pain in the butt. We're now passing around the Spike of Neutralising through a pass with The Beak of Rooting in the East. The Beak of Rooting is a smaller mountain range and helps keep goblins away. One would think that The Slick Boulder would build a road but it looks like we're the first dwarves to take the logistics issues seriously.

14th Granite 125

Spoiler: Fortress Location (click to show/hide)

We've arrived at the location noted, and I sited the fortress around here since it seems the geologists think there is flux. I hope that's a fact, and not an alt-fact or bigly exaggeration, because we deserve steel. It's also really fucking hot. Like, hotter than I can ever remember having experienced, and I think the milk might be going off.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 06:29:10 pm »

Wow. Such Results. Much DERP. Two votes say there will be a !!dumpster!! by the end of the year. There is one vote for the rest of the alternatives. NEVER FEAR THOUGH. CAPTAINARCHMAGE IS HERE TO MAKE DWARF FORTRESS GREAT AGAIN.

Or totally fuck things up.

15th Granite 125

Dawn has broken on our first day so I decide to see what our fort is call-

and what our government name i-

And what kind of flag we are supposed to-

Really? I wonder what the name of the flag is sup-

Right. Let's get back to work. We have a YUUUGE amount of work to get done, which is to say we have to establish AND maintain a civilisation where there has previously only been a lack there-of. WE SHALL OVERCOMB.

Spoiler: Site Survey on Embark (click to show/hide)

I get out of the wagon and we start establishing our, uh, position around here. The heat has caused most of the pools to dry up and our ONLY source of water seems to be the fucking stream to the south. No shit, we're going to need a massive pimping operation to get our water sorted out.

To the west there's a huge plain of salt. So much salt exists there I could call it the Domain of Legends, but we could also use it for construction. I'm sure a castle made out of the stuff will leave any siegers feeling a bit salty.

I've assigned the following management roles:
Expedition Leader: CaptainArchmage
Broker: CaptainArchmage
Chief Medical Dwarf: Monom Inkpraisers. Apparently, Monom can read but not write, which is, like, weird. That probably needs to change. A miner could get injured, so we'd be left without a chief medical dwarf. A research job in the library would better suit her for this and this reason only.
Militia Commander: Logem Blockadecreed.

Moobediah Jones was really effective at getting a good crew around, good to see people with talent and fighting skills.

This is the plan for the first year:
Primary Goal: Establish an outpost.
-Construct or mine out 8 decent houses and 12 decent bedrooms.
-Establish 100 square meters of farming space.
-Construct storage facilities.
-Establish a distillery.
-Establish basic manufacturing.
-Establish basic plumbing.
-Establish an inn.
-Establish a library.
Optional:
-Establish Rudimentary Hospital
-Build a barracks
-Designate a temple

In order to investigate the geology of the area, I have ordered a preliminary shaft cut into the hill. Hopefully there isn't any weird shit in here.

I have also designated our first orchard, pasture, and food stockpile, until we get a permanent stockpile established underground.

16th Granite 125

You know I thought birds were smaller than this. At least I never saw them this big before.

28th Granite 125

This is the state of the fortress so far. I have sexily guesstimated how far we have to cut in to the mountain to get a trade depot made out of ONLY stoners. I mean stone. And real smooth stone at that. If, like, I can get someone qualified to smooth it up for us.

My accomplice in doing jack shit while everyone else gets everything read for us to do everything has also cut down an acacia tree for us. Apparently, bees don't do short journeys so we're cool on logging the fucking trees that don't produce any fucking fruit and are close to the entrance.

I've also been informed about Tea Trees in the area. So like, they produce these leaves but don't seem to do anything more. I'm wondering whether they have anything to do with tea bags but I don't honestly know where the hell tea bags live and grow so I'm not going to ask questions.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:33:09 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 04:58:25 am »

Ptw

And can I be dorfed please, if that's an option

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 07:22:05 pm »

Ptw

And can I be dorfed please, if that's an option

Specify a dwarf please, as of posting list is below. I need to fix the old list, because of re-embarking stuff.

Or waitlist for a male dwarf.