Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)  (Read 27177 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Flamehorses (It has begun!)
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 11:56:38 am »

Sorry for the double post, but I would like to announce that I am starting the first turn on monday regardless of whether we get any new players by then. We probably could do to wait a little longer, but new players will still be allowed to join, so more people can join after that.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:18:13 am by Derpy Dev »

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
Re: Flamehorses (Needs more players, then we can start!)
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 02:01:16 pm »

I'll join this!

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 02:02:35 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - Flat Chested Volcanic Unicorns

Oh hell yeah this is a MUCH more !!fun!! Location!  Use this one instead! 

Spoiler: ”Embark Location” (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ”Layer +00” (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ”Layer -08" (click to show/hide)

Magma, brown recluse man silk webs, Serene Tropical Conifer Forests means both unicorns and elephants!  Flux and Iron ore!  Dwarves, goblins, humans, elves and a tower, and still 4 times as many megas, semis and titans as normal. 

WE GONNA DIE!  LETS DO IT!

Pre-Embark Save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12837
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 02:04:29 pm by zazq »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 04:18:25 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - Flat Chested Volcanic Unicorns

Oh hell yeah this is a MUCH more !!fun!! Location!  Use this one instead! 

Spoiler: ”Embark Location” (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ”Layer +00” (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ”Layer -08" (click to show/hide)

Magma, brown recluse man silk webs, Serene Tropical Conifer Forests means both unicorns and elephants!  Flux and Iron ore!  Dwarves, goblins, humans, elves and a tower, and still 4 times as many megas, semis and titans as normal. 

WE GONNA DIE!  LETS DO IT!

Pre-Embark Save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12837

On the one hand, a world with more surviving creatures is good.

On the other hand... elves. Ugh.

I vote we kill the elves ;)

However, a tower and no mechanisms means no easy way to set up a drawbridge defense in the first five minutes, which means that we just have to wall off all access to the outside world when a hoard of zombies inevitably shows up before the first winter.

I'll join this!

Welcome to the madness!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 04:27:16 pm by Derpy Dev »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do you feel about this start?
Dwarves:
Kol, Asmel, and Shem are competent miners.
Onul is a competent wood cutter and grower.
Minkot is a competent mason.
Mebzuth is a competent carpenter.
And finally, Sibrek is a competent negotiator and persuader and a novice appraiser and judge of intent.

Livestock:
Ten turkey hens, two turkey gobblers, and two breeding pairs of cats and of dogs.

Items:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The symbol is called the Fiery Fate of Beasts, and it is an image of a melting unicorn.

The group is called the Vanished Machine. You can probably guess why.

And the fortress, of course, is called Flamehorses.

Does this look good to you? Sorry for the double post, but I'd like a good set up by monday.

And one last thing: ere the tigers get hungry.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 04:48:57 pm by Derpy Dev »

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

we might consider starting with a armorweaponsmith and powering out iron armor in the first year.  death to humans and elves!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

no mechanisms means [snip] no screwpumps. 
Actually, IIRC, screw pumps require no mechanisms to build, and can be operated manually.
Can magma pumps be operated manually or will the operator get scorched?

Also, I might play, if I have the time.

EDIT: Also, what would be cool is if we could use some form of creature logic to make sophisticated logic designs, without the need for mechanisms. I'm gonna research this.
EDIT 2: Oh, I see how this could go. The creatures within the logic will be made to move/stop moving by dwarves placing/removing walls. However, the ability of dwarves to place/remove walls will be affected by the placement of certain creatures throughout the logic -- if a goblin is present behind a window near the place where a dwarf is trying to place/remove a wall, the dwarf will run away and not complete his task. If we find a way to auto-unsuspend wall construction, this might actually work.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:54:26 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (Starts soon!)
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 10:22:55 pm »

EDIT: Also, what would be cool is if we could use some form of creature logic to make sophisticated logic designs, without the need for mechanisms. I'm gonna research this.

Witchcraft is always better than technology. Welcome to Flamehorses!

we might consider starting with a armorweaponsmith and powering out iron armor in the first year.  death to humans and elves!

Eh. Maybe that is a good idea.

On the other hand, I don't think the quality modifiers mean much beyond the fact that they aren't as likely to get attached to the starting equipment we give them in a rush to fight zombies. Maybe it gives a damage boost though.

By the way, I might start on sunday instead of monday. It occurs to me that when I do my turn doesn't exactly affect whether or not people can join.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:27:24 pm by Derpy Dev »

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
Re: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (Starts on monday!)
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 10:38:05 pm »

Spoiler: ze plan (click to show/hide)

This is how we can do stuff without ballistas. From what I recall from the wiki:
Fired ballista arrows crash the game if they break upon hitting a living target

if you really want to use ballistas, here's a revision to your plan, derpy.
This is better because undead can't get the siege operators as easily.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 11:19:12 pm »

Actually, walls will not work. They are latching, since once a wall is built it isn't removed until you explicitly tell it to be, so the construction/removal of walls cannot be automated with in-game elements.

However, magma/water pumps will work -- they can be made to interfere with creature pathing and aren't latching because the pumping stops as soon as a goblin comes into view of the pump, which doesn't happen with walls. (The builder of the wall would probably be someplace else when the goblin arrives and so wouldn't get scared, and even if he did get scared he wouldn't "magically" unbuild the wall.)

I think the only problems we have to sort out now is how to handle the delay during the time the dwarf walks to the pump (and while he takes a break to eat/drink) and how to get the goblins into the logic without cage traps.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 12:28:46 am »

You know what? Sign me up. I'll relinquish my turn if it turns out I don't have enough time.

I want to focus on my "witchcraft" during my turn, so hopefully y'all will have some workable defenses up when I get there.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2017, 08:26:23 am »

You know what? Sign me up. I'll relinquish my turn if it turns out I don't have enough time.

I want to focus on my "witchcraft" during my turn, so hopefully y'all will have some workable defenses up when I get there.

...I'll pretend I signed you up today instead of when you said, "I might play". Welcome aboard!

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 10:17:55 am »

The first season! Watch me stumble through the spring while elephants roam the volcanic landscape.

Here it is. The start of a fortress.
After such a long journey, we finally made it. Our caravan of seven has reached the site. And to the northwest, we can see a pillar of smoke rising from the volcano.
I looked at it and sighed. Today was the day.
"Alright people!" I shouted with a grin. "We have only a couple of months before the first migrants arrive, let's try to make this presentable before they get here!"
It wasn't long before an entrance was dug into the earth one level below our start, next to a simple wood pile. Hopefully we will remember to move that before the first elves come.
Digging down to the location of our trade depot, we struck gold. That'll be good for the future. But soon enough, a trade depot and path within was constructed.
Admittedly, this was not the best use of my time. At the same time... why not?
The elephants have already become a problem... this is why we brought two pairs of dogs.
Luckily the dog is still alive, but I don't think he will ever fully recover.
Almost the end of spring! Between the elephants, the unicorns and the humanoids composed of lava, we sure have our work cut out for us.
Anyway, here is the last picture for the day. Behold our meager meeting hall! Unfortunately, there are more bugs than dwarves in it right now, but that will hopefully be fixed once we get the turkeys out of the living area.
But now that the first season is up, I'm gonna upload this before I play through the rest of the seasons.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
Re: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2017, 03:25:38 pm »

Screw pumps don't need mechanisms to make nor operate. Flood the world with magma.
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2017, 02:18:50 pm »

Summer has been done!

Where we last left off, a dog got maimed by elephants and seven dwarves were in a hole.
After building a farm and still, the drink situation was quickly solved, but we are still having issues in the food department. The first step towards fixing this is butchering the yaks and getting the turkeys to start laying eggs. This situation was soon remedied however. Behold the new and improved meeting hall!
Not too fancy at the moment, but soon enough we will build them a bigger one. That pile of miscellaneous nonsense is everything that was inside of the wagon.
While fully acknowledging that a first year undead siege is unlikely, I also have seen it happen before and have taken precautions.
While three miners is hardly the backbone of a good defense, they are capable of at the very least chasing off anyone who has snuck onto the map.
Also, migrants! Only four arrived and they came with a donkey foal. We'll keep the donkey till adulthood, then butcher it.
I understand that many people object to the use of spiked wooden balls as an early game export, but at the same time there aren't many other good early game industries, so it will have to do until we find something less exploity.
A stunningly large portion of my dwarves have nothing to do, and I can't blame them. I have no idea what I need them to do. I guess I should get the wood inside before the elves come and overreact.
Decided that I might as well start building an early game bedroom area.
And on that note, autumn has arrived! I will try to get the last two months of the year done soon, and then I will pass it on to the next on the list. Goodbye for now though!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17