Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)  (Read 27179 times)

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2017, 10:02:21 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - Flamehorses

Spring 52, “Histories of Avarice and Diligence”
What?  Where am I?  This isn’t the library…  And all these dwarves, they are asking me what to do!  I don’t know what to do!  I’m a librarian for Armok’s sake!  Where’s the military? The farms?! WHY ARE THERE NO MECHANISMS?!  Oh god oh god oh god…

Get ahold of yourself man!  It's just like in the great book.  Let’s see what I remember… From Caravan to Happy Dwarves.  That’s right.  Dig farms, cut wood.  Some of this is already done here?  But clearly they didn’t follow the flowchart.  This is going to be a lot of work.  Fortunately, 30 migrants just arrived. One of the migrants came with some military training.  Perhaps he can protect us in the time ahead.  His name is Big McHugelarge.

The flowchart is engraved in my mind like a block of cheese.  Mushrooms + Barrels = Booze.  Booze is what we need.  Also, animal meat, and a mason.  What? The mason is named Animal Meat?  Well, get to work on those tables.

Summer 52 "Histories of Greed and Resourcefulness"
A human caravan is arriving, and a moody dwarf is demanding silk cloth lest he go berserk and slaughter the fortress.  I hope to negotiate with said humans for some silk.  Meanwhile, I admired this beautiful stone room hanging above the volcano, then decided it was far too small for a metal forge and just built the forge next to it instead.  Soon we shall have iron armor for our military.

Alas, the humans brought only wool.  Our moody clother is doomed to madness.  Here in the summer, I’ve decided that we should grow some pig tails.  You know what you can make with pig tails?  BOOKS!  OH GOD BOOKS!  I CAN’T WAIT.  Also clothes i guess, but eh. 

Fall 52 "Histories of Gluttony and Toil"
The armoring of our military squad goes well.  All have at least some armor, and they’ve been training up their wrestling and stuff.  All praise the flowchart, for it has decried butchery, clothing workshops, and lavish meals.  I love lavish meals.  I love them while reading.  Reading what you might ask? WELL NO BOOKS BECAUSE YOU CAN’T MAKE SLURRY INTO SHEETS WITHOUT MECHANISMS!  WHY OH GOD WHY!

Winter 52 "Histories of Avarice and Mettle"
Squad now has all the gear it could want, and is training up nicely.  And just in time too, an UNDEAD SIEGE has arrived, lead by Necromancers Tunkik Halirworu and Sas Nasimjomsa!  The military (minus Big McHugelarge) has been sent forth to deliver swift justice!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

VICTORY!  Not a single dwarf was wounded by those wimpy human corpses!  The military returns victorious to their glorious leader, who takes all the credit.  However, the siege tag hasn’t disappeared.  Maybe there’s a sneaky badguy out there somewhere. 

I JUST CAN’T STAND IT ANYMORE!  I NEED A LIBRARY!  I DON’T CARE IF I HAVE NO BOOKS!  The room suspended above the volcano has become my personal library. 

And now it is spring.  I retire to my library to meditate on storms.  With my library, i recreated what i can remember of armok’s divine flowchart.  Hopefully it will be of use to future overseers.

The entrance hallway goes down to -4 where stands the depot, the barracks and the pile of forbidden wood for sealing the fortress.

You can’t see the fortifcation between the volcano and the forge channels, but it’s there.  Without any flow it is impossible (right?) for magma crabs to go through it.

That big main room has a lot of things in it that need organization.  I didn’t mess with it.  Please oh please buy sheets from the traders, and possibly books.  I NEED BOOKS.  Other than that, the smelting of metal is going well, we probably have plenty for more armor.  Consider upgrading to steel.  Silver is still better than steel for warhammers, and wood shields are the best shields.  Maybe a marksdwarf squad?  Remember to remove Big McHugelarge from the squad before sending it out to smash zombies. 

SAVE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12857
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:06:52 pm by zazq »

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2017, 10:29:01 pm »

PTWPTWPTW
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2017, 10:58:17 pm »

Wow, zazq, that was fast.
I will try to do the turn before the weekends, can't promise though.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2017, 08:20:56 am »

I like how it only took one night before he did not only what it took me a week to do, but ten times better as well.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2017, 05:42:51 pm »

Dwarves of note here in Flamehorses:

Rock, Stone and Jewelburg, all legendary miners.
Animal Meat, the mason.  He's not that great yet, but he'll get there.  I didn't make many tables.
Hammersmith the forgemaster!  He doesn't smelt the metal, but does all other metal things.  Getting pretty good at armor already, but the rest sucks.
Bush, Nut and Mushroom, the three proficient farmers. 
Huge McBiglarge, THE SARGENT MAJOR GENERAL, along with 9 military grunts.
Derpy Dev the Professional Fool, brewer.
Zaz Quell the Combat Epistemologist, scholar, papermaker, bookbinder and architect.

and 31 mooks.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2017, 08:42:17 pm »

Dwarves of note here in Flamehorses:

Rock, Stone and Jewelburg, all legendary miners.
Animal Meat, the mason.  He's not that great yet, but he'll get there.  I didn't make many tables.
Hammersmith the forgemaster!  He doesn't smelt the metal, but does all other metal things.  Getting pretty good at armor already, but the rest sucks.
Bush, Nut and Mushroom, the three proficient farmers. 
Huge McBiglarge, THE SARGENT MAJOR GENERAL, along with 9 military grunts.
Derpy Dev the Professional Fool, brewer.
Zaz Quell the Combat Epistemologist, scholar, papermaker, bookbinder and architect.

and 31 mooks.

I should probably download the current version of the fortress, just so I don't loose track of what's happening.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2017, 09:36:45 pm »

Do you do "dorfings"?

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2017, 08:48:44 am »

Do you do "dorfings"?
If you do, could you dorf me as a woodcrafter? Maybe a speardwarf or wrestler, when it comes my time to get into the military to fend of undead?
Of course, spears are nigh-useless against undead, but that gets rid of another useless dwarf for you.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:07:58 am by MrLurkety »
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2017, 07:43:58 pm »

It is 22nd of Limestone, 53. The first month of the autumn is close to the end.

I'm sitting in my luxurious office on the damn cheap chair without even a table in a dormitory, which they call, by some terrible mistake,  my "office", and recollecting what happened during the last half of the year.

I had finally got a chance to improve this Armok forsaken place. This fortress really needed a damn good optimizer, organizer and of course, I had to be the manager for that. After a prolonged discussion with the previous one (what was her name?... whatever, who cares), she graciously agreeded to give up this position in my favour. Why did she even try to argue? She didn't do a single thing while holding the manager office! Well, the "office", huh. I spent the whole day trying to figure out where is it, but at the end, one of the dwarves pointed at a poor chair near one of the beds and assured me, that this was the "office" of the previous manager! Just splendid. Anyway, I decided to pretend that I'm a humble person, who is absolutely content with the situation.

So, let's see.
Safety first, so I decided that refuse stockpile near the entrance is not exactly "safety", since there are necromancers wandering around. The new one is placed near the volcano, and I set up burning of all refuse (I carefully excluded "Corpses", since we do not want bodies of fallen dwarves to be burnt). Later, we can burn in principle other unwanted items, like tattered socks and stuff, just change settings of stockpile and minecart route for that.

I tried to make the central room a little bit more friendly-looking. Henhouse was moved to the farms floor, the stockpile for weapon and metal armor is now just near the barracks, huge heap of blocks were made a bit neater, and some other small changes like several silver chests. We still have some irritating garbage (and where the hell animal hairs supposed to be stored?! Why we even have them?), but I will continue on it. The place is now called The Muffin of Submerging, the tavern. Now dwarves can sing, and dance, and so forth. They also like simulating instruments. A pathetic and ridiculous sight, note for future overseers: make a bunch of their favorite instruments. Several bards have visited us already, a few of them even dared to ask for a long-term residence. I denied, since we haven't prepared rooms for them yet.

The temple was moved to a new place (it still requires some decorations), just one level down the stairs leading to the mines. Cemetery is also going to be there, made as tunnel with niches for coffins (yes, I've made some golden sarcophagi, why not). We can extend it when we need it. Also, note a room for the mayor (we have one now). I have ordered to put a golden statue inside, he was a bit grumpy about a cheap room.

If we are to use quantum stockpile, let's have more - I have quantized wood stockpile as well (we want to have the large stock of wood for the case of siege). Also, to the north from it I placed gem stockpile with jewellery workshop. Later I want to set up decorating of finished goods - I want golden and silver rings and earrings, adorned with all kind of gems.

We dug into layers of marble, but I have not started steel production yet.

Large furniture stockpile, one level above the main floor:

Finally, some managerial automatization:
I put some reasonable conditions (like smelting stops at 200 bars, 300 for iron), you can change if you feel like it. I have plans to make similar thing for steel productions as well.

And yes, I've almost forgot: congratulations to Derpy Dev, for he has made an artifact!

Another guy also has made an artifact shield. Since it was made out of leather, I haven't dared to give it to anyone, but maybe future overseers will think differently.

Now, that's really important. We have an issue, the tag "siege" has stuck. I hope that I did nothing wrong and it's not the problem of my game distributive (I had it already when I took a save, though). I heard about such a bug before, but I have no idea how to cure it. I checked all the surface with the military squad - they didn't find anyone in stealth, so it cannot be a reason. Hopefully, it will fade away eventually. But in the worse case, we need to wait for another siege without migrants or caravans. If you know an immediate cure (something like dfhack command) - let me know, I will be playing the rest of my turn on Sunday. It is early fall, we would still have chance to see a caravan this year, if the tag disappeared right now.

to Rethi-Eli, I dunno, why not? Let me know your preferences.

to MrLurkety, I've dorfed you. A proficent mason and skilled carpenter, 'MrLurkety' Sarveshakam, here you are:

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2017, 08:50:47 pm »

And yes, I've almost forgot: congratulations to Derpy Dev, for he has made an artifact!

I made a freaking self portrait. I'm so proud of dwarf me :)

Also, I shouldn't be laughing at how much time you guys are spending mocking my inadequacy, right? Because I find Hun's rant about the awful office hilarious.

Mind uploading the save file? I have heard of this glitch before, and I am gonna spend some time looking for the solution again.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:54:33 pm by Derpy Dev »

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2017, 10:06:43 pm »

I'd love to be a useless hauler with no aspirations and no future.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2017, 10:09:31 pm »

Haha, hopefully, I didn't go too far in that, didn't want to be rude. Feel free to make fun of my game style!  :)

Frankly, I've found your dormitory without any drawbacks of an actual dormitory ingenious... never thought of such design.

Here the save, let me know, if you find a way to fix it!
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12868

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2017, 01:20:52 am »

none of the siege/caravan/migrants scripts seem to work at all.  most are made for older versions.  dfhack confirms (through the exterminate script) that whatever invaders there are are not on the map.  I cut down all the trees to make sure they weren't getting in the way of invader pathing, ran the military around the edge to lure invaders onto the map, then coated the entire place in magma from the sky enough for it to seep off the edges, in hopes that that would do something.  So i'm out of ideas.

Right now i'm running it forward, see if it goes away on its own in a reasonable time.

EDIT:  Good news, it vanished early winter 53 for me.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 01:23:14 am by zazq »

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2017, 01:43:07 pm »

LEGEND OF THE VOLCANIC UNICORN!

Our world, Ceretecamade, the Infinite Realm, is chock full of entities.  We got 2 dwarven, 6 elven, 4 goblin, 7 human and 2 koboldian civilizations.  There have been 61 wars within our 53 years of history. 

There are 5 Dragons, 5 Hyrda, 5 Roc, 5 Bronze Colossus, 75 Forgotten Beasts, 1 Desert Titan, 4 Forest Titans, 2 Hill Titans, 2 Mountain Titans, 1 Swamp Titan, 10 Minotaurs, 10 Giants, 10 Ettins and  10 Cyclops.

Top 10 Notable Kills From: Roc(35), Hydra(30), Hydra(25), Cyclops(24), Cyclops(24), Roc(21), Roc(19), Dragon(18), Bronze Colossus(16), Cyclops(16). 

As far as i can tell, there are no vampires or werebeasts in the history, which is sad.  There are 8 necromancers though…

We’re part of the Sensitive Daggers Dwarven Civilization.  Our first 2 kings died year 1 in a combined minotaur and dragon attack.  Our current king, Lor Giftoils, took on the job when his predecessor got smashed by a cyclops.  Lor has been our valiant leader for 25 years now, and successfully fended off a minotaur attack from the same minotaur that killed the first king.

There are 4 Sites owned by the Sensitive Daggers.  2 got destroyed by dragons, one is Flamehorses, and the other is Caveattacks, which managed to fend off a 21 year goblin war.

Flamehorses is at war with The Sable Beasts of Scuptedwheeled, a human site government lead by NECROMANCERS!  The chieftain Necromancer, Durpul Woodscribes, started life as a cheese maker, learned his secrets of life and death from the god Sut, and now has 7 necromancer underlings.

The one that attacked our fortress (and escaped) in 52 was Tunik Lucidsnuggles, who was the 3rd Law-Giver of the Calm Union Human Civilization before going necron.  Lucidsnuggles survived a fight with a minotaur and has a pet polar bear.

Inspired by Cathar, i made a map!

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2017, 04:37:19 pm »

Frankly, I've found your dormitory without any drawbacks of an actual dormitory ingenious... never thought of such design.

The art of using the absolute minimum amount of effort required for the absolute maximum amount of success. A technique that I have perfected. To be perfectly honest though, my brother thought of it. In all of his fortresses he would carve out about a quarter of an entire Z-level, make literally everyone an engraver, set those engravers to work, put a bunch of beds in it and call it a bedroom.

Also, I found a thread that spoke of a solution to our siege problem. The thread said that if you use something like DFhack to reanimate one of the zombies and then kill it again, the game should think things though and cancel the siege. I didn't even know you could reanimate creatures using DFhack though, so if somebody more skilled than me could fix the save, that would be great.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17