Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Linux install  (Read 1451 times)

Lestrage

• Bay Watcher
  • novice creature of the night
    • View Profile
Linux install
« on: April 15, 2017, 02:19:49 pm »

Hey could you make it easier to install DF in Linux systems. I had great trouble in getting DF and Soundsense to install and work on Ubuntu last time I tried and in the end I stayed with windows system  :-\. Also would be cool if DF showed up on the Software center / package manager.
The platypus is making a plaintive gesture. The pangolin is striking a menacing pose. The penguin is laughing.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Linux install
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 09:21:30 pm »

Install the console (ncurses) version. That's easy enough ;)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 11:36:38 am »

Install the console (ncurses) version. That's easy enough ;)
What? There's only one build of DF on Linux (per architecture as of 0.43.05), which supports SDL and ncurses, but it requires the same installation procedure regardless of whether you're using ncurses or not.

Anyway, getting DF to show up in package managers is probably the responsibility of whoever maintains those package managers (e.g. I think it's in a community repo in Arch's package manager). Soundsense isn't really something Toady can make easier to install on Linux, since he's not involved with it at all.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 09:20:41 pm »

What? There's only one build of DF on Linux (per architecture as of 0.43.05), which supports SDL and ncurses, but it requires the same installation procedure regardless of whether you're using ncurses or not.

Yes, of course. My joke was supposed to be that if you are using ncurses output, you probably aren't going to be using external programs like Soundsense. That would make the installation a little easier.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 12:02:25 am »

Yeah, installing soundsense on Ubuntu looks like it might be a PITA.  Not super difficult if you are familiar with how Java, pulse audio and lib32 libraries work, but probably unreasonably difficult for newbies.

Having DF show up in the Software centre is unlikely because Ubuntu basically rides on the work done by Debian.  Debian only packages free (as in freedom) software and DF is not free (as in freedom -- it's only free as in beer).  So the only way it will happen is if somebody else does it.

It's not super difficult to make a "deb" package -- especially for something like DF which has few dependencies.  I'm running Arch linux and the dwarf fortress package actually has no dependencies at all, so probably the same will be true for Ubuntu.  For what it's worth, here's the Arch package build script for soundssense: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=soundsense Again, it won't help you build a debian package unless you understand it, but it's a starting point.

If you do it, then you will learn a lot about Linux along the way -- *and* you will make an easy to install debian package that anyone can use.  Tools like DFHack and DT are a bit different because they require that you open up a security hole on the computer (you have to allow one process to muck with the memory of another process, which is a *very, very, very bad idea*... No idea why Windows allows it...)

But anyway, I encourage you to give it a try.  While it might be quite frustrating and take a long time, all information is available online and it's the kind of thing that anyone can do if they work at it.  Although I don't have Ubuntu installed any more, I've built deb packages before, so fee free to PM me if you have any questions.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 07:31:47 am »

Tools like DFHack and DT are a bit different because they require that you open up a security hole on the computer (you have to allow one process to muck with the memory of another process, which is a *very, very, very bad idea*... No idea why Windows allows it...)
That's just the case for DT, actually. DFHack runs in the same process as DF. And working with other processes' memory is allowed so debuggers can work (although there should be restrictions on which processes can do that).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.