Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why did I suddenly catch fire?  (Read 1557 times)

whatthefbomb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Why did I suddenly catch fire?
« on: April 15, 2017, 06:23:55 pm »

Made a peasant adventurer. Wandering around, some foocubi bandits were harassing the local market. Me and some random marksdorf I found decide to nut up and defend the merchants. The mace user drops without much trouble, but some incubus with a blade whip made a mess, tearing the dwarf to shreds and getting a chunk of my fledgling adventurer. (Red lower spine. Somehow not paralyzed?) A few rounds of combat later, the tide turns, and I hack into him enough to get him to yield...and promptly go berserk and start kicking at the nearest merchant again. So I continue my attacks, even messing his arm up enough to paralyze it and disarm him. Things seem to be going well...until I start getting messages about being on fire. After a missed kick from the mutilated horny devil. As inexperienced as I am, I didn't realize HOW I was on fire until I realized a few articles of clothing had combusted at some point.

Now in addition to my axe disappearing at some point and being on fire with no obvious way to extinguish myself, I also can't move for some reason outside of jumping. While the incubus was a non-threat at this point, my fate is sealed from the spontaneous combustion. And as an added bonus, I didn't think to save the text logs what might help you understand what happened.

What could have happened? I was just around a bunch of market stalls with food and clothing. Looking around didn't show anything obviously flammable. And why did the fire never spread past me? I know it's little to go on, but I'm super new to the game. I can probably be more helpful if I know what WOULD help.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why did I suddenly catch fire?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 08:02:23 pm »

you ran into the most vile thing in DF.... succubus/incubus blood is at their body temperature which is hot enough to withstand magma.... so their blood is as hot as magma.  if they spill blood on you... it will ignite anything that can burn, cloth, leather, weapons with wooden handles.  you probably cut into the incubus and that heated up your weapon, after a few slashes the weapon was hot enough to ignite, which then was hot enough to ignite other things such as your cloth garments.... at which point your stuck... stripping naked and jumping in a river are your best options.... you might have 20 to 30 turns at best to do it... you probably can't move because of the fire on your clothing.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

whatthefbomb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 02:29:35 pm »

you ran into the most vile thing in DF.... succubus/incubus blood is at their body temperature which is hot enough to withstand magma.... so their blood is as hot as magma.

Well that's a pain. And also very very limiting. Ah well, thank you for answering my question. I think I have a raw to edit for my (barely intact) sanity.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 02:05:50 pm »

This scientific answer is why I love this game.  In how many other games does the temp of monster blood accidentally set you on fire?  I say accidentally because I don't believe that Toady imagined this eventuality when he create blood temperature.  He just added some generic "if some liquid splatter temp is higher than the burning point of the target material, light target on fire" code.  Later, some modder come along and gives the succubus race [HOMEOTHERM:10075] which is the temperature of the stone next to magma.   

Dang it, and now my argument falls apart.  10075 doesn't seem warm enough.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Temperature
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 01:35:04 am »

It isn't the homeotherm that matters, it's the melting point of the blood. I imagine that their materials have been set to be immune to magma, maybe even dragonfire, but without exceptions for materials that should be liquid at room temperature like blood or sweat.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 06:35:43 am »

Bolt gum has tried to rewrite them multiple times to stop the issue they are fireimmune_super if I remember right, immune to all fire.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 08:29:55 pm »

It actually works out pretty well and makes them seem truly demonic. When a succubus dies, it tends to set everything around it on fire, and it used to be that was almost for sure to incinerate the corpse. Not sure if that got fixed or not, but it is a very thematic event. When a demon goes down, they burst into flame and burn to ash, taking everything around them with them.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 08:34:38 am »

Bolt gum has tried to rewrite them multiple times to stop the issue they are fireimmune_super if I remember right, immune to all fire.

There is a fix now, it might be in the raws, commented. If not, it will be soon. If we get the time to edit the launcher perhaps we will add the option to disable plasma-hot blood.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 09:56:49 am »

send me a link to a fixed version, I'll see if it matches the one file I have... I saw some lines with missing '['  but didn't want to touch them as I didn't know what they were there for.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 02:33:52 am »

send me a link to a fixed version, I'll see if it matches the one file I have... I saw some lines with missing '['  but didn't want to touch them as I didn't know what they were there for.

Here it is. With the right launcher token it will be easy to toggle.

But I did test it by spitting on people, they still die from it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:36:23 am by Boltgun »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 09:31:07 am »

yeah that's the lines I saw in there... so if that line is [ it will stop setting everything on fire when they spit or loose blood?  but still burn a hole in most people's skin? lol.

I wish we had more access to the launcher, I've figured out how it's grabbing the tokens now, so I can reduce the file damage I discovered, but I can't make edits to its functionality in the current format.... I've read through every bit "textual" information, but the actual function of the launcher is compiled.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group