Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Werehyena turns back into "lady consort" -- meaning?  (Read 2249 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Werehyena turns back into "lady consort" -- meaning?
« on: April 17, 2017, 05:59:08 pm »

Hello everybody,
I very stupidly left the game unpaused, causing a werehyena to come and rip apart 3 dwarves and infect two others (one of which is a legendary marksdwarf) before changing back and getting caught in one of my cage traps. When the werehyena changed back, however, it became known as a "lady consort"; what does this mean? I heard that when the king/queen comes he/she brings a king/queen consort, but I don't have the requirements for a monarch and I don't see one in my unit list.

P.S. I shall pit the consort in single combat with one of my captured blind cave ogres. She must pay for what she's done!
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Werehyena turns back into "lady consort" -- meaning?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 06:19:15 pm »

Lady is a local noble, they appear spontaneously from your dorfs after 20 pop I believe. This is the lowest rank in nobility, whereas monarch comes from outside. The lord/lady will be promoted to count then duke, before the monarch comes then coexists with them.
Lady or lord consort is the wife or husband of the lord/lady

Also I totally support killing off night creatures. Last time I caught a vampire I build a special torture chamber just for him, and made the relative of one of his victim pull repeatedly the lever that would actionate retractable spears. Dude suffered for months.

Edit : It is also possible she came on a rampage from outside, in which case you're holding captive the wife of another lord :D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 06:25:49 pm by Cathar »

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 04:46:09 pm »

actually, you have the king's life. Lords and Ladys do not have consorts, only the king or queen. So yeah, you have dwarven royalty.
To the beer!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 04:59:49 pm »

Wait -- the werebeast is a HUMAN lady consort. I suppose this means one of the human nobility of a nearby town must be a werebeast and has decided to pay my fort a visit.

Followed closely by a weregecko, a forgotten beast, and a titan.

*sigh*

EDIT: Hope this means that the humans will send me a siege for keeping a noble hostage. The goblins have been rather peaceful lately.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:03:01 pm by bloop_bleep »
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:09:01 pm »

Oh! she was a human. I for some reason swore it was a dwarf.
To the beer!

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 10:28:59 pm »

The concept of "hostages" doesn't really exist in that way yet. Also, worldgen (as opposed to fort or adventurer) lycanthropes are outcasts, so there's a very good chance that even if political hostages existed, no one would care.

Now, that's no reason not to display the beast prominently by your trade depot, ideally also viewable through a clear glass wall from your mayor's office. That way you can pretend to be flaunting your fort's capture of such a beast to the filthy humans that spawned it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 08:58:23 pm »

Put it in a zoo
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 07:54:24 pm »

The concept of "hostages" doesn't really exist in that way yet. Also, worldgen (as opposed to fort or adventurer) lycanthropes are outcasts, so there's a very good chance that even if political hostages existed, no one would care.

Now, that's no reason not to display the beast prominently by your trade depot, ideally also viewable through a clear glass wall from your mayor's office. That way you can pretend to be flaunting your fort's capture of such a beast to the filthy humans that spawned it.

Personally I'd put her in a room with a clear glass wall into the trade depot. After all, then you can show her off to the human merchants who come past. Roleplaying this sort of thing is fun.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 02:31:52 am »

Personally I'd put her in a room with a clear glass wall into the trade depot. After all, then you can show her off to the human merchants who come past. Roleplaying this sort of thing is fun.
Extra !!FUN!! if the room is at least two tiles deep, as weres are building destroyers. In addition to that, I don't know if the sight of a were is sufficient to get merchants to panic and leave in a hurry, but it ought to.
It doesn't matter from a technical point whether the glass window is clear or green, but the point was role playing...

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 09:49:33 pm »

Extra !!FUN!! if the room is at least two tiles deep, as weres are building destroyers. In addition to that, I don't know if the sight of a were is sufficient to get merchants to panic and leave in a hurry, but it ought to.
It doesn't matter from a technical point whether the glass window is clear or green, but the point was role playing...

Thisfox and I were both talking about using glass walls, which (like all walls) are indestructible. Windows are only for secure areas or for areas you don't mind having a little fun (-:

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 03:15:35 am »

Sloppy reading on my part...
However, walls can not be seen through, regardless of the material, so the "display" would be pure role playing/imagination, as would any effects to that display. However, it is possible to use a single tile deep display room, in which case the displayed were would be too close to the window to destroy it. That should disrupt trade, though, so I wouldn't use it.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 01:00:28 pm »

Sloppy reading on my part...
However, walls can not be seen through, regardless of the material, so the "display" would be pure role playing/imagination, as would any effects to that display. However, it is possible to use a single tile deep display room, in which case the displayed were would be too close to the window to destroy it. That should disrupt trade, though, so I wouldn't use it.

With the new jumping/climbing can't it still get out? (I know air doesn't utlilize jumping, but doesn't smoothing/pledging prevent climbers)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 02:15:40 pm »

I assumed the use of a ceiling. However, I don't think windows can be climbed (and a building destroyer is most likely going to be locked into a failing attempt to destroy the window anyway).

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 06:59:58 pm »

And leave a way out that can be opened by a lever. Good backup in case of sieges.
Or start infecting the local cheesemaker population.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 12:15:04 am »

I'm gonna start a werehyena infection program. I was wondering what to do with those 20 dwarves that refuse to do absolutely anything.
At least this will give me new material for the arena I'm working on. 5 armed gobbos, a few war elephants, 3 blind cave ogres, and several werehyenas? It's going to be epic.
Pages: [1] 2