Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to disable DFhack  (Read 2865 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
How to disable DFhack
« on: April 17, 2017, 09:32:31 pm »

A friend recommended that I try Masterwork. I'm trying to get it to work, but it has been full of crashes and abysmal lag. DFhack has been the cause of many FPS and crash issues in the past for me, and I suspect it is at least a problem. How do I disable DFhack is masterwork?

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to disable DFhack
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 10:57:41 pm »

A friend recommended that I try Masterwork. I'm trying to get it to work, but it has been full of crashes and abysmal lag. DFhack has been the cause of many FPS and crash issues in the past for me, and I suspect it is at least a problem. How do I disable DFhack is masterwork?

doubt its DFHack.  I have a horridly old computer and the current version of DFHack with masterwork is very stable on my system.

so that brings us to the question.

which version of Masterwork are you running?
if its 1.23(the last version published by Meph), it had several strange issues that caused crashes and lag, most of which was fixed by 1.24c, the version I am publishing.  there's a separate post for its download, you can find it on the masterwork forum, and in the x64 test version in my signature.  Switch to that one, make sure you make a new folder for it, create new worlds with it (it has several improvements in the raws over 1.23 and without those changes, old saves do not function very well).

if its 1.24,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 09:01:09 am »

I downloaded off of this thread, which says that the current version is 1.23. Should switching to 1.21 solve the issue?

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 03:04:54 pm »

I downloaded off of this thread, which says that the current version is 1.23. Should switching to 1.21 solve the issue?

and thats why your having errors 1.23 straight from download was crashing for 90% of players.

here's the current version:
masterwork 1.24c
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 03:11:32 pm »

and thats why your having errors 1.23 straight from download was crashing for 90% of players.

here's the current version:
masterwork 1.24c

I have already downloaded 1.21 and am trying to get it to load, but it is quite slow to load as well. It mostly slows to a halt when trying to load interactions.

It occurs to me that masterwork has so many added creatures and items and interactions that it slows down the game. I have to congratulate you for creating a modpack so massive that it actually slows down the game. Luckily, you can disable many of these mods, but how many do you think I should need to disable to lower the load time back down to at least twice as long as loading vanilla DF? Cause at the moment, it takes about five times as long.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 09:58:44 pm »

I couldn't tell you in 1.21, its been too long to know remember what mods were in that pack.  I only suggest 1.24c because its the version I'm working on now, so I have a good idea of what is going on inside of it.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 10:10:21 pm »

I couldn't tell you in 1.21, its been too long to know remember what mods were in that pack.  I only suggest 1.24c because its the version I'm working on now, so I have a good idea of what is going on inside of it.

Okay thanks.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 05:35:13 pm »

First, there is no way to run Masterwork without dfhack. Almost all of the functionality of Masterwork relies on dfhack. Second, while Masterwork does add some things, in it's vanilla form it removes even more things. Most people notice at least a modest increase in FPS in Masterwork over vanilla DF.

What operating system do you use?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 07:21:33 pm »

First, there is no way to run Masterwork without dfhack. Almost all of the functionality of Masterwork relies on dfhack. Second, while Masterwork does add some things, in it's vanilla form it removes even more things. Most people notice at least a modest increase in FPS in Masterwork over vanilla DF.

What operating system do you use?

Windows 10.

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 01:51:06 pm »

Like GhostDwemer said you cannot run Masterwork without DFHack so there's no way to remove it. As to your fps issue what kind of computer are you running? I have no lag at all and I'm on Windows 10. DFHack causing crashes was more an issue in older versions of itself otherwise it shouldn't crash it's a lot more stable now then it was; and it for sure wouldn't cause an fps issue, fps issue would be caused by something else entirely. If anything DFHack acts as a means to stabilize DF not make it worse in newer versions.