Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How will Boats change your blueprints?  (Read 1459 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How will Boats change your blueprints?
« on: April 18, 2017, 08:42:30 am »

When boats finally come to DF how will that change where and how you build Fortresses?   More coastal cities?   More cities along rivers?  More ranged squads to protect sailors from sea monsters?  More sea food dishes?   :P
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
Re: How will Boats change your blueprints?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 09:48:20 am »

I may build a port just to see how it functions, but I don't think most of the game will change, since it's just another way to receive trade, visitors, and donations of gobliniteenemies. It does mean that an isolated island fortress will no longer be isolated, but I'm not certain that matters except for those trying to build secure positions. If the abstracted combats get worked out a bit better, so that the dwarves didn't pretty much auotmatically lose every battle at a site, then it won't matter even then.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 01:23:20 pm »

They would be good excuses for building elaborate structures.  For example, quays and docks on the sea side, preferably with warehouses on top.  Or even better, a fortress built into the cliff adjacent to a beach, with an underground harbor carved into the cliff itself, with platforms above it for crossbows to fire down. 

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 11:35:41 pm »

Would be great if it required some sort of medieval crane system that acts similarly to a wheelbarrow for loading quickly. Would make extensive designs really interesting.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 07:26:39 pm »

They would be good excuses for building elaborate structures.  For example, quays and docks on the sea side, preferably with warehouses on top.  Or even better, a fortress built into the cliff adjacent to a beach, with an underground harbor carved into the cliff itself, with platforms above it for crossbows to fire down.

This would probably be my reaction.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 09:34:24 pm »

Well, it depends entirely on HOW boats are implemented.

For example, will boats be a faster form of trade than caravans? Then I will want to build docks, and if pirates can come and attack, I'll want to build defenses. Will I be able to build my own boats? Then I'll want to invest more time and resources into sailors and whatever else I'll need.

I'd probably build a coastal town on an island volcano as soon as they were released, because it would just be fun.
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 09:43:37 pm »

I'd probably build a coastal town on an island volcano as soon as they were released, because it would just be fun.
Ever heard of Krakatoa? ;)

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 01:08:55 pm »

Well, volcanoes don't explode (Please add volcanic eruptions.), but I sure hope they do soon. I don't see it on the list, and I don't see hurricanes or lightning storms there either, so although I'm upset about it, coastal villages will only be in danger of pirate attacks (As well as every other DF danger there is.)
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 02:57:16 am »

Well, volcanoes don't explode (Please add volcanic eruptions.), but I sure hope they do soon. I don't see it on the list, and I don't see hurricanes or lightning storms there either, so although I'm upset about it, coastal villages will only be in danger of pirate attacks (As well as every other DF danger there is.)
Toady's talked about natural disasters. Will happen. Perhaps even as part of mythgen.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 02:34:06 pm »

Ever heard of Krakatoa? ;)

The dwarven solution is to floor over the top with wood. Also, it would absolutely work.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 12:39:08 pm »

Normally my embark site looks like this:
1) Surroundings: Normally I go with untamed wilds, but sometimes I might shake it up a little and go into a evil/good biome.
2) Trees: Woodland or more
3) Vegetation: Not important, but more vegetation breaks ties
4) Temperature: Anything but scorching, but this usually falls in the warmer half of the spectrum because of the previous two preferences
5) Minerals: deep metals, shallow metals, flux stone if possible
6) Some soil is ideal but I could go with anything
7) Clay if possible
8) No aquifer
9) Some form of fresh water is preferable, if not I can just get it from the caves, so it's not a big deal
10) Neighbors: No tower.
These are all soft requirements and it might change depending on how many potential sites I can find.

However, with the addition of boats, I'll likely drop most of those requirements in the pursuit of constructing the greatest Dwarven Seaport ever built.

While I'm listing my embark preferences, these are required for me to consider it:
1) Minerals: shallow metal(s)
2) Trees: sparse, but only if there's stone coal on the map. If not, at least forested.
3) Temperature: Not scorching
4) Neighbors: No tower

I've played this game since 2012 (although I've only really understood it since 2014) but I consider myself far from good. I've yet to try thing like reanimating biomes, embarking next to a tower, terrifying biomes, or desert or glacier embarks... I tend to stick to the safe side and build a bustling city. I think that because of this, I'm missing out on a lot of fun. Perhaps I'll embark near a tower in my next fort before the next release.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:41:20 pm by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Furious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 03:43:35 pm »

I will murder elf sailors and claim their grown boat for my own.
Wait ? Your fort is not half green half red regardless of the stone it's built in ? I'm learning something new every day.