Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Setting up a DMZ. Arming the workforce  (Read 864 times)

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
Setting up a DMZ. Arming the workforce
« on: April 18, 2017, 06:59:06 pm »

There's something I've noticed with my totally hap-hazard way of allowing access to the caverns. I allow mass, unwatched hauling from the caverns for things like corpses, webs, and wood. But I've noticed that, unless I'm micro-managing HARD, this results in a lot of danger to my dwarves, especially from jabberers, GCS, and voracious PIECES OF CRAwlers.

Now I know I could assign a specific group of people to hauling cavern-related goods, put them in a squad and they'll outfit themselves, but I would like to set up a DMZ where dwarves get to a zone and then outfit themselves appropriately before going into dangerous environments by using armour stands and weapon racks, or associated stockpiles.

"Dwarves leaving to the </^/>/v dressed in *uniform* (ie: metal/archer) armour", "Dwarves leaving to the </^/>/v dressed as civillian". This could also work for walking outside during a siege to get a sock :D I know there are meta ways around this, but I think this would be an easy way to avoid mass cavern death and dismemberment.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up a DMZ. Arming the workforce
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 06:03:17 am »

Oh definitely behind this idea (lot easier than assigning people to forcefully wear clothes in squads, then throwing away their civilian clothes and retiring them from service) but i can see how it might get frustrating if they run halfway across the fortress to pick up some heavy armor only for the job to expire & spend additional time doing it.

Maybe you could set a non-appointed barracks as the DMZ equipment room, pity that the armor/weapon racks don't store objects, it could be as easy as "when entering a area marked DANGER please wear things from THIS rack"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 01:39:28 am »

How about:
Setting up a DMV. Mobilizing the workforce

*Rides away in minecart*
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 10:35:21 am »

Would not better civilian AI make this suggestion redundant?