Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 71739 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #480 on: September 10, 2017, 07:23:50 pm »

If you shoot through all the story missions, maybe 10 or 12 hours I suppose.

If you wanna do all the collectible side quest stuff, I'd think 30.

If you're actually going to faff around with the Nemesis system and experiment, 50? sounds like a safe #.

To be honest though the collectibles stuff isn't really worth it other than some lore bits and unlocking some crazy attacks once you finish. And the Nemesis system in SoM is a pretty pale shadow of what's coming in SoW.

Like you'll probably get enough just playing through the story, you don't really need to like, dominate every single bodyguard of a warchief before you move on him. Almost everything you do in SoM tends to make the game easier.

So doing a quick playthrough where you don't have everything unlocked midway through the game and exterminated/recruited the nastiest orks might make for a spicy playthrough.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 10, 2017, 08:00:37 pm »

You don't really get to really faff around with the nemesis system until the latter half of the game though.

I'm also very fond of the maps of the second half. Much nicer than the first ones.
Love, scriver~

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 10, 2017, 08:19:26 pm »

I honestly enjoyed the game before branding, as cool as it was.

In the beginning there was some element of difficulty. It may have just been me being new to the game, but regardless. After branding and in the general second half of the game, the difficulty pretty much vanished. I could easily kill any captain and any number of regular enemies. As soon as the game introduced a captain to me, I could kill it.
Contrast this to my first half - I actually died a decent amount and my deaths made the nemesis system feel more real. I liked the challenge and seeing the rise of my killers and I actually fought some captains that were legitimately hard and I was almost afraid to see.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 10, 2017, 08:48:48 pm »

If you shoot through all the story missions, maybe 10 or 12 hours I suppose.
Only if you're extremely slow. I'd say the story takes 6 hours at the very maximum. Screw around and have fun, assassinate Uruks and gain rivals, it pads out the game and is drastically more fun than the story missions.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 11, 2017, 01:16:05 am »

I never have a good sense of how long it takes to get through just story missions, because I never play that way.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 11, 2017, 08:07:06 pm »

So Folly made me want to faff around with the Nemesis system again. These are the coolest ones I've gotten so far:

The crow helmet and feather dress is probably my favourite look, so I was pretty happy when this guy showed up. Had to slaughter a bunch of my own orcs to manoeuvre him to the top though. Has a bunch of good traits, but nothing special, but also no debilitating weaknesses except against stealth. Then again I'm not sure if traits will matter for exporting, I'm more or less assuming they won't.

Had to go find him ingame because it didn't fit into the army view of him, but yeah, there it is. The Crow goes into battle, not with a halberd or a glaive like the other Orcs, but an Orc skull adorned with three hooks. Because of course he does. Anything else wouldn't be cool enough for the Crow.

I had a bunch of interesting and good looking enemies, but I got sloppy with checking for inter-captain activities so they kept getting executed or dueled to death. One of my favourites was one with the nickname of "King-Slayer" or something and the red armour and plumed helmet look (I like feathers, can you tell?), but I lost him while working on the guy below.

He's nothing special to look at, doesn't have any cool armour or adornments or even some of the nicer looking war paints. His name is pretty cool though (pronounced Shog, by the way). But I'm guessing you might be wondering why I choose that guy given my penchant for awesome gear and birds?

Yeah, he's wielding two Gondorian Ranger long swords. Got them and that name of his while sacking your old workplace and killing your co-workers, appparently. Brings it up to your face a lot when you meet him. What better fitting Nemesis could you possibly ask for?

He also had a bunch of cool combat move traits, like the triple attack and the body slam, but he lost them in favour of other traits as he levelled up. A shame really, but he's still my favourite candidate.

So, anyone else want to share what they ended up with?
Love, scriver~

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 12, 2017, 02:29:57 pm »

Yep. They've said they will not be taking any profits from this. period. I wonder where the rest of the money goes though..

it's pretty simple. they're legally not allowed to do this without registering in 6 states, so they're probably just going to make an offsetting donation of their own without explicitly linking the two. it's a state accounting issue.

but hey, maybe they're going to pocket it. it's not like we won't find out.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #487 on: September 12, 2017, 02:38:19 pm »

Yep. They've said they will not be taking any profits from this. period. I wonder where the rest of the money goes though..

it's pretty simple. they're legally not allowed to do this without registering in 6 states, so they're probably just going to make an offsetting donation of their own without explicitly linking the two. it's a state accounting issue.

I'd argue it's anything but 'simple' but if that's all they have planned then they could have avoided a lot of negative attention by saying so. "All profits from this product will go to the family or a matching donation to a worthy charity. We will in no way profit from this product." Something like that worded better would have stopped this frenzy in its tracks.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 12, 2017, 02:44:09 pm »

I'd argue it's anything but 'simple' but if that's all they have planned then they could have avoided a lot of negative attention by saying so. "All profits from this product will go to the family or a matching donation to a worthy charity. We will in no way profit from this product." Something like that worded better would have stopped this frenzy in its tracks.

they literally said the second part!

(the first part actually complicates things with the addition of the "matching donation to a worthy charity". it's likely that they're going to give all the money to the family anyway, but they're not allowed to legally say they're going to do that on a per DLC basis in 6 states.)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 12, 2017, 02:45:15 pm »

Pretty much. Also note how they have not specified where that money will go to.

(the first part actually complicates things with the addition of the "matching donation to a worthy charity". it's likely that they're going to give all the money to the family anyway, but they're not allowed to legally say they're going to do that on a per DLC basis in 6 states.)
Maybe. Since I don't know US law, what is stopping them from saying, extra-officially that this is what is going to happen?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #490 on: September 12, 2017, 02:49:28 pm »

I'm not a lawyer but I suspect it's a lot more complicated than it appears. Still, some kind of factual statement early on about where the money will go would have avoided so much trouble.

They did, but only much later after the youtube media frenzy and negative press.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 12, 2017, 03:04:38 pm »

I'm not a lawyer but I suspect it's a lot more complicated than it appears. Still, some kind of factual statement early on about where the money will go would have avoided so much trouble.

They did, but only much later after the youtube media frenzy and negative press.

my god it was like 3 days later. the entire phenomenon of "youtube media frenzy" just shows how dumb 99% of the gaming public is.

this entire thing boils down to nobody liking microtransactions in AAA desktop games (fair enough, i dont either) and then taking cheap shots at a hated publisher.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #492 on: September 12, 2017, 03:08:43 pm »

I agree it was somewhat ridiculous. The bandwagon is real, and it is well populated any time anyone missteps. This is no different from 'real news' media though. Everyone likes reporting on controversy because it drives views and ratings,

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 12, 2017, 03:09:51 pm »

My story fitting level 20 Nemesis got killed by a level 4 captain in a duel. Gone forever. Sigh.
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 12, 2017, 03:13:51 pm »

And that's why I quit fucking with the SoM Nemesis system. Too many hours babying a Nemesis or ally and then "derp, he got caragor'd" or "derp, you didn't immediately kill his opponent in a duel and in the time it took you to jump down there to fight, he's dead." "Op, released you from a grab and threw you off a cliff by accident. There goes the last 3 hours of work."

Cute idea but honestly in practice I found it unreliable and frustrating to actively manage. Even deliberately letting them murder you to level up was tedious and never seemed to give me amazing results.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 53