Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 72935 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #750 on: November 15, 2017, 11:28:10 pm »

So I restarted my game on Nemesis mode.

Up until now, I hadn't been super challenged by it. Guys are more aggressive sure, you spend the majority of your time rolling around large combats because standing still for more than 3 swings means you're going to need to roll dodge, and basic orcs take like 8 hits to kill without crits sometimes. But all in all I hadn't been that impressed with the Nemesis combos I was seeing or the Nemesis events (although to be fair I'm not quite to the point of the game where they really turn on.) I've cleared out Nurnen and am just waiting to take the fortress. Things have been going more or less like normal.

It wasn't until I ran into a 22 Cursemaster Terror Tank with Savage Counter though that shit got real. I just had almost a 30 minute attempt to do a Vendetta against him, and 90% of that time was spent in combat. I killed no fewer than 4 enemy captains while this bastard would take the knee at every opportunity to heal. One hit from him was 30% of my life. Freeze stunning him lasted all of 5 attempts before he adapted. Same story with daggers and vaulting. I went through 5 batches of Elf-Shot at 8 shot capacity. He enraged on beast kills and a few other things. And he was immune to executions. 8 headshots did about 2/3rds of his life.

In the end I was reduced to literally waiting for specific attacks, rolling to his back side and getting one hit off before he'd turn and savage counter anything following after, dominating hunters to fill him full of spears and single glaive strikes. He killed somewhere on the order of 50 orcs I summoned or dominated using Curse Bombs and Roars, usually when he needed a heal, so they never quite finished the job. For myself, I kept getting stung by his attacks because I'd try for the counters and missing the timing when it should have been a dodge. (Not that it mattered eventually because he became immune to Stealth Ground attacks....I didn't even know that was a thing you could adapt to.)

So I was out of Wrath due to constant cursing, and because I'm using the skill mod that builds Might super fast but takes it all away when you get hit...I had no might either. I spent minutes tediously dealing damage to him and interrupting his heal attempts, only for more captains and orcs to show up, body block him so he could heal to full and the whole vicious cycle started over again. It kept going until we'd emptied the entire camp of followers, arrows, beasts, grog explosives, flies, spiders, fire pits....

In the end it wasn't poison, or minions, or back hits, or Glaives that won the day. It was stealth. Along the way I'd overlooked that he was dazed by it. So after this epic 30 minute battle to kill this prick, I retreated from combat, returned, stealth attacked him, dazed him long enough to whittle all his health down, at which point more orcs showed up. The fight moved to a cliff side and in a moment of inspiration I grabbed him while he was broken and threw his bitch ass in to the sea.

Now that it's over I'm kinda sad he was just a Vendetta target. He was a worthy foe and I'd remember him if he showed back up in my world.

So yeah. Nemesis mode. Definitely puts the challenge to you, in specific places. That is the single hardest fight I've had in this game, bar none. While most of the orcs in Nemesis mode are just about as easy and you start to adapt to the tighter timing required due to their AI eventually, the sheer # of captains they throw at you, the damage they do and and the rate at which they adapt to attacks makes all their traits way, way more meaningful than on normal. When one guy's freaking smoke bomb will take half your life and apply an effect to you, your margin of error in Nemesis mode is tiny.

I also started feeling the limitations of the controls. There are a lot of pauses and delays I feel like in many animations. Some parts of the game are super responsive but other parts are not. Like dagger throwing locks you in to this long straightening animation that leaves you sitting there like a moron to get clobbered. Never came up in Normal, those guys are too slow. But in Nemesis where the attacks are constant, you start finding several little limitations that will totally get you killed in combat.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:47:32 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 15, 2017, 11:35:40 pm »

Were those his bodyguards or just captains who got in the way of your epic duel?

Also, I hadn't thought of throwing a captain into the sea before. Nice.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 15, 2017, 11:43:05 pm »

Throwing captains off of cliffs has been one of my favs since SoM.

And no. I think they were just captains you tend to see in outposts, there's usually a couple wandering around each outpost and the fortress. So there were three, at least, and then his blood brother showed up as well so I had to kill him too.

And then weirdly I did another Vendetta right after, climb the wall to the fortress and am immediately attacked by an orc who says I killed his Blood Brother. Who his Blood Brother was, or whether I in fact killed him, I'll never know. But after all the BS I'd just been through, it seemed a little weird. Like I'd maybe ended up in the same person's world, and it remembered me? Or he somehow followed me ACROSS TIME AND SPACE AND DATA to seek revenge? Who knows. At least he's been reunited with his BB.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:48:23 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 15, 2017, 11:56:04 pm »

Considering Rug the Mad ("A very fine carpet, sir.") seems to revive and ambush me whenever I go to Nurnen, I would not be surprised. I've gotten like seven seperate chestpieces from him now. Most of them give reduced damage vs enraged enemies.

He enrages at a lot of things and hits hard and has gained a few resistances since I first threw him off a roof around level 15. The most recent Rug was lv49.

Also,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:00:34 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 16, 2017, 12:19:24 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 16, 2017, 04:22:28 am »

Only 30% of your health? You fought a pansy. Later on, most captains with any form of elemental effect or otherwise "stronger-than-mooks" attack is going to clip you for 80-90% of your max health in one swing. Particularly fun on hunters and rapid-fire crossbowmen.

Because of this, you'll gain a new appreciation for just how many of the bastards generate with No Chance.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 16, 2017, 11:11:18 am »

Have you been building for HP via gems?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 16, 2017, 11:59:57 am »

Me? Naw, I haven't even bought the thing yet, not that it could run on my machine anyways. I just watched Potates' stream and saw what the various commanders were pulling out of their uruk asses.  He had at least one life gem, but the head slot was generally reserved for a +12.5% XP gem that let him reach max level by the time he was most of the way through Shadow Wars.

Javelin comes screeching in from off-screen hunter: Health goes from 100% to 10% and poisoned. Panic-rolling saves him from javelin number 2 a second later.

He actually got one-shot (to kneeling) by a number of orcs, but a few of the times happened during sieges where they quickly got distracted or shoved out of the way and thus couldn't pull off the finishing blow. And yeah, he was wearing leveled legendary armor.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 16, 2017, 04:56:54 pm »

I have a rare chestpiece that negates all poison damage, and I'm pretty sure its helped me more than most legendary pieces.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 16, 2017, 10:48:38 pm »

I spotted Tugog the Black Blade in Cirith Ungol on passing through there the first time, he was level 9. I'd met him in my normal difficulty game in Minas Morgul and fought him a couple times and he came back. Then he died off screen while I was playing the rest of the game. I was quite disappointed.

So this time I told myself I was going to make Tugog the Black Blade my follower and went out of my way to avoid him. I was worried that upon returning to Cirith Ungol from capturing Nurnen that he might have died off screen again.

Nope. Now he's level 24 and they, quite reasonably, made him Overlord of Cirith Ungol. He's lost all his weaknesses except flammable. His stats aren't too bad but having to fight him in the Overlord's chambers means there isn't going to be any real room for shenanigans on my part. I hope I don't have to end up killing him.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:55:40 pm by nenjin »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 17, 2017, 10:10:34 am »

Its rare to get a "good" defeat, it always feels cheesy as hell when you get messed up by a one hit kill ranged guy or a assassin lands on hit.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 21, 2017, 08:05:11 pm »

DLC for the Slaughter Tribe, and the Slaughter Tribe only, just dropped. In addition to the looks, traits, fortress and region looks, apparently they bring with them several new kinds of Nemesis events. Like tribal showdowns, blood ambushes.....not sure what any of it means yet.

Also an "enhanced photo mode" update, something about the "Endless Siege" which sounds like a post-Shadow War extended gameplay kind of thing, and "Rebellion" which sounds like fighting all your captains as they turn against you.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 22, 2017, 10:11:43 am »

They did mention an 'infinite shadow wars' mode a few weeks ago. Endless Siege sounds like a better title for it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 22, 2017, 05:25:59 pm »

Wow, Shadow of War is already 40% off.

WB must be pretty desperate if they've slashed prices this deep, this soon.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 22, 2017, 06:27:34 pm »

I might pick it up sooner than I thought. Maybe.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53