Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 71723 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 11:57:28 pm »

Going full 'Inglourious Basterds' is not the solution to a poorly-connected plot!

The problem is more the same exact problem that infected the Clone Wars.

Not so much how "poorly-connected" it is.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2017, 03:15:10 am »

The game isn't considered canon.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 03:44:50 am »

I mean, if a new ring of power isn't to be considered fucking with canon then I'm really not sure where the line is  :P
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 06:18:54 am »

I mean, if a new ring of power isn't to be considered fucking with canon then I'm really not sure where the line is  :P

So much breaks canon that it's alternate continuity honestly. The fact Celebrimbor helped Sauron construct the ring (when he constructed it in secret) means essentially that things are borked from the beginning premise. Many of the species in Mordor aren't actually real for example, the fact that wraiths kinda don't work exactly like that. The fact that Sauron would let anyone use his personal recreation of Grond as their weapon, the fact Gollum would be there at the time sets a hard timeline..

So let em go nuts with it! I'm willing to see how this crazy train ends.  :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:22:46 am by ZebioLizard2 »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 07:36:26 am »

I just want this to be Gollum: the Origin Story. What an end twist. Of course, that would kill possibilities for AssCreed-style endless franchise so not going to happen.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 08:54:51 am »

Yes give the protagonist his own version of the most powerful item in the entire world and make him incapable of dying and very good at killing and stealth.

Mary Who?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 09:10:33 am »

Yes give the protagonist his own version of the most powerful item in the entire world and make him incapable of dying and very good at killing and stealth.

Mary Who?
Talion is the pinnacle of generic broody anti-heroic male archetypes. Coming to Shadow of Mordor for the concrete story is like going to a concert so you can go deaf. :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 10:10:48 am »

With executions that dank in SoM, yeah, it's a power fantasy x1000.

And it's the mixing of variables in a limited way that diminished my interest in the Nemesis system in SoM. Especially the Trials and Executions and stuff. In the beginning it was pretty awesome before you knew anything. But after 20 hours of grinding orc captains and trying to see what the system was capable of, it got both very repetitive, predictable and seemed like a low-quality effort. I'd like it be better in SoW and maybe it will because it seems richer. I'm just afraid that with so many speeches and dramatic story elements, SoW is going to be just as or more transparent than SoM. Unless they've spent most of the time since SoM just recording dialog.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 11:28:07 am »

There is nothing that actually prevents people from creating new rings of power (In fact the name refers to the current set). In fact Sarumon was relatively close to creating his own.

No really... they weren't made of materials that have been lost to time or that are so rare no one can get their hands on them. They didn't rely on arcane abilities or skills that can no longer be replicated.

IN FACT the implication isn't even that Celebrimbor was the only one at the time who could have made them. Only that he was the only one naïve enough to be tricked into making them. In fact he wasn't even the first one Sauron went to.

So yeah... they aren't THAAAAAT special... So of all the "bending canon backwards to fit this story into it" having an ancient elf forge a new ring is the least intrusive. Actually summoning the ghost of celebrimbor is something I thought you couldn't do (don't elves like... not have ghosts?)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:34:41 am by Neonivek »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2017, 08:19:37 pm »

Part 7 of the stream came up. It's almost entirely a run-down of some of the abilities that can be used. One change they stated is that draining is a way of regaining health instead of eating herbs found around the world.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:35:18 pm by Jacob/Lee »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2017, 08:29:29 pm »

It already was with the right runes IIRC (or maybe that was just branding) but I'm glad for that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2017, 08:29:55 pm »

I find that a little funny considering a couple of the runes I used were specifically for getting health when draining enemies.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2017, 08:34:14 pm »

I find that a little funny considering a couple of the runes I used were specifically for getting health when draining enemies.

The best HP runes in the first game was by draining enemies.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2017, 09:11:12 pm »

Goes to show how much I used those runes. I always used the stealth kill health regen runes. It seems like healing herbs will be less common, though, so it might be necessary to work in healing abilities in a more combat-focused way instead of ducking out of a fight to chase down questionable plants.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2017, 09:15:20 pm »

Goes to show how much I used those runes. I always used the stealth kill health regen runes. It seems like healing herbs will be less common, though, so it might be necessary to work in healing abilities in a more combat-focused way instead of ducking out of a fight to chase down questionable plants.

If I had to guess why they made that chance is that... for one it interrupted the flow of combat (the plants that is) and with cities and battles being bigger... a way to recover on the fly might be more important.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 53