Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 72963 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #465 on: September 04, 2017, 08:07:01 pm »

Uh, then where does the money go? Directly to valve's hoard?
It goes to the DLC fairy. It has accounts on the Cayman Isles.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 04, 2017, 08:11:40 pm »

I prefer to think that WB are simply paying tribute to the great GabeN.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 04, 2017, 09:35:00 pm »

Clearly they make an altar to the DLC gods; Greid, Avareese, and Gullarble.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 05, 2017, 09:06:35 am »

Hey, if collecting money and giving 70% of it for one particular dead guy is OK, why not keep going along those same lines?

How about some 10$ ribbons you can buy in different colors? They even show up on your character! And $2 from each purchase actually goes to charity!  Who cares if WB is pocketing tons of money that was intended to help a good cause, at least those good causes are getting some of it, right?  At least other people will see those in game ribbons, maybe they'll buy some too!

And if WB wants to just keep the whole 10$ if donating a small piece of it wouldn't be completely convenient, that's understandable, right?

It's not as if people have limited amounts of money to spend or donate, and it's certainly not as if the charitable organization would have been helped more by getting all of that donation, rather than just 20% of it.

That's my sarcastic take on this whole matter. 

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 05, 2017, 11:10:39 am »

Hey, if collecting money and giving 70% of it for one particular dead guy is OK, why not keep going along those same lines?

How about some 10$ ribbons you can buy in different colors? They even show up on your character! And $2 from each purchase actually goes to charity!  Who cares if WB is pocketing tons of money that was intended to help a good cause, at least those good causes are getting some of it, right?  At least other people will see those in game ribbons, maybe they'll buy some too!

And if WB wants to just keep the whole 10$ if donating a small piece of it wouldn't be completely convenient, that's understandable, right?

It's not as if people have limited amounts of money to spend or donate, and it's certainly not as if the charitable organization would have been helped more by getting all of that donation, rather than just 20% of it.

That's my sarcastic take on this whole matter.

personally i wouldn't buy such a ribbon

then again hypotheticals that have little connection to reality have never really made sense to me

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 05, 2017, 03:53:45 pm »

The parallel I was trying to draw is the company would be doing a nominally good thing (Raising awareness of a bad thing, raising money to make it less bad) but in doing so actually drawing money away from the charity, because people generally have only a certain amount of money to donate to good causes.

So by making themselves a middleman who takes a significant chunk, they're taking a good portion of those people's "Charity budget" directly for themselves.

The fact that they pocket 100% of the donation from non US citizens, yet still plan to allow them to make the 'donation' takes it from "Well meaning but possibly harmful" to "Shameless cash grab"

I admit, my analogy might not be perfect... or even decent... but I think it's... something.  I guess you see why I tend to stick with sarcasm.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 10, 2017, 01:02:51 pm »

The parallel I was trying to draw is the company would be doing a nominally good thing (Raising awareness of a bad thing, raising money to make it less bad) but in doing so actually drawing money away from the charity, because people generally have only a certain amount of money to donate to good causes.

So by making themselves a middleman who takes a significant chunk, they're taking a good portion of those people's "Charity budget" directly for themselves.

The fact that they pocket 100% of the donation from non US citizens, yet still plan to allow them to make the 'donation' takes it from "Well meaning but possibly harmful" to "Shameless cash grab"

I admit, my analogy might not be perfect... or even decent... but I think it's... something.  I guess you see why I tend to stick with sarcasm.

nothing is stopping people from writing checks to the family if that's what they want to do.

even a website like gofundme that explicitly runs charity campaigns takes an 8% cut. it's not like processing payments and managing money is free.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 10, 2017, 01:05:02 pm »

nothing is stopping people from writing checks to the family if that's what they want to do.

even a website like gofundme that explicitly runs charity campaigns takes an 8% cut. it's not like processing payments and managing money is free.
Theres a difference between 'our cut to keep the site running' and this, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 10, 2017, 01:09:50 pm »

Theres a difference between 'our cut to keep the site running' and this, though.

yes - the difference is that we know that the family will get 100% of the proceeds from sales in 44 US states. we don't know about 6 of the states or overseas sales, except that they claim they won't profit from them. there is also a youcaring page for direct donations.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 10, 2017, 01:19:45 pm »

*from specific stores in these specific states.

Or?

Anyway, that entire affair has turned me greatly off buying the game.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 10, 2017, 01:24:43 pm »

yes - the difference is that we know that the family will get 100% of the proceeds from sales in 44 US states. we don't know about 6 of the states or overseas sales, except that they claim they won't profit from them. there is also a youcaring page for direct donations.
Nope. The family gets 70% in those 44 states. The thing about charity is that it's kind of a non-profit deal. The moment you start profiting from charity, something is terribly wrong.

Further: The disclaimer that the 6 US states + everywhere else in existence won't actually contribute any money to the charity, but rather to WB's bank account, isn't exactly made obvious either. They did attempt to obfuscate that information, which adds another layer of scum to it.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 10, 2017, 05:23:31 pm »

Valve takes a 30% cut.

Further: The disclaimer that the 6 US states + everywhere else in existence won't actually contribute any money to the charity, but rather to WB's bank account, isn't exactly made obvious either. They did attempt to obfuscate that information, which adds another layer of scum to it.
"They didn't tell us immediately that they're good, which makes them evil!"
EDIT: Misread this, assumed you were talking about something else.
So instead:

"Warner Bros. insists it won't profit from the Shadow of War Forthog Orc-Slayer DLC"
Seems to be this quote, specifically:
"Neither Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment nor Monolith Productions will profit from any sales of the Forthog Orc-Slayer DLC regardless of the territory in which that DLC is sold."

Just relevant. I have no idea why they'd state that the money would only go to the family in most of America earlier if this is the case, but this does seem to be a pretty definitive statement. Make of it what you will.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:27:45 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #477 on: September 10, 2017, 05:37:40 pm »

Yep. They've said they will not be taking any profits from this. period. I wonder where the rest of the money goes though..

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 10, 2017, 05:38:09 pm »

Valve takes a 30% cut.

"They didn't tell us immediately that they're good, which makes them evil!"
EDIT: Misread this, assumed you were talking about something else.
So instead:

"Warner Bros. insists it won't profit from the Shadow of War Forthog Orc-Slayer DLC"
Seems to be this quote, specifically:
"Neither Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment nor Monolith Productions will profit from any sales of the Forthog Orc-Slayer DLC regardless of the territory in which that DLC is sold."

Just relevant. I have no idea why they'd state that the money would only go to the family in most of America earlier if this is the case, but this does seem to be a pretty definitive statement. Make of it what you will.
In this case it raises questions: if they are not profiting from this, and they have confirmed in twitter that the money will not go to family... where is it going?

Ninja'd

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 10, 2017, 07:04:56 pm »

1 month until SoW release date.

I bought SoM a while back but never got around to playing it...when SoW was announced I resolved to play SoM before SoW's release. How much time should I leave myself to play SoM?
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 53