Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 71735 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #495 on: September 12, 2017, 03:38:21 pm »

Yeah, I am given-uppance personified right now.

Also, it's funny how I never noticed the skull staff weapon before, but now after I made that post about the Crow I seem to see it every fifth orc or so.
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 12, 2017, 03:40:20 pm »

I think the Nemesis system really got good if you disabled the attack indicator. You have to pay attention to the animations and can be caught offguard.

But I get your point. I actually only dominated orcs the game required me to. I enjoyed killing (and being killed) more.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 12, 2017, 03:45:53 pm »

Also, it's funny how I never noticed the skull staff weapon before, but now after I made that post about the Crow I seem to see it every fifth orc or so.

Also a small (but unavoidable) downside of playing too much SoM. Everything seems unique and amazing for the first 20 hours but when you actually start to observe the nuts and bolts of how guys are put together.....you see a lot of reuse. Name + Base model + face + warpaint + armor + weapon + class + traits + weird quirky character defining detail = Your Uruk. After cycling through enough Uruks you start to see the patterns emerge. Again, I'm not blaming SoM for this, it's an inevitable consequence of playing a randomly or procedurally generated game. It's just with SoM when it finally dawned on me how it all works and I started seeing a lot of repetition (especially in dialog) my fun-o-meter bottomed out.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:17:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 12, 2017, 05:00:46 pm »

Was the Nemesis system update since the original release?

I dont remember it being that cool to have a "Nemesis" or anything like that?

But with the Crow guy and Shog from the last page... shit looks cool as hell.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 12, 2017, 06:06:55 pm »

They added the Nemesis Forge a couple weeks back to SoM. It's basically free mode for you to play around with the Nemesis system. You declare an Orc your Nemesis and they'll show up in SoW to fight you.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 12, 2017, 06:11:38 pm »

SoM was to easy if you where good and to hard if you where really bad.

Sure could've done with better time skips, higher max level and difficultiy choices...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 12, 2017, 06:15:38 pm »

It has really disjointed difficulty at the higher level. You could take on any number of regular Uruks and most stone cold badasses without much problem, even without all the OP attacks.

But all it takes is one archer with multishot and poison and derp, you're pretty much dead. Archer with those AND Combat Master? Good luck. With melees its not so bad because you can constantly just avoid the Uruk captains and slaughter their guys until you've got them alone. Then you can use whatever stupid technique you can think of chip away at their health. Ranged is not so easy to isolate, they'll plug you full of bolts or spears while you're back is turned and you're killing their minions. I've had archer Combat Masters parry my attacks and immediately multi-shot into me at point blank range.

SoM never really hits the sweet spot without a lot of player finagling deciding what makes the game too easy for them or not.

And frankly if you've played even one Assassin's Creed game, SoM is for the most part a complete and total cake walk. Just hit your counter button and everything will be ok.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:40:26 pm by nenjin »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 12, 2017, 09:34:41 pm »

For ranged dudes you'd just want to pummel them with the more lethal shadow strike until they're dead (unless they were immune to it), because the nearby uruks were no problem in comparison to their crap.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 13, 2017, 09:38:53 am »

Heh, want a really good time of getting deaded? Play the Bright Lord DLC. Ghaaaghahhh.  Sure, your "ultimate" is pretty beastly, but the fact it combines all the other ultimates means that you can't string them together for ultimate slaughter, and it takes ages to charge the damn thing up.

Basically the combination of not having "arrow time" when aiming, reduced rune slots on everything, and obscene swarms of overleveled, weighted-towards-bullshittery enemy uruks all comes together to give you a REAL pain in the ol' glutes, especially since you only get the one ultimate killstreak-ifier. I think like half of your usual moves also don't work or something, I forget.

That said, beating it and unlocking Test of the Ring lets you farm uruk warchiefs who are far beyond the normal level cap, letting you get stuff like level 30 runes... Which you can then use in the other campaigns, in case you weren't overpowered enough as it was.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 13, 2017, 11:00:05 am »

I gave the BL DLC about an hour before I was like "mmmmeeeeehhhh let me go back to OP Talion." The challenge was fun for a little while but not being able to drain for life except under specific circumstances was a little too much for me.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 13, 2017, 03:16:08 pm »

DLC Celebrimbor's advantage over Talion is in the ground slam attack. It works as a mass-brand that gets more orcs at a time the longer your combo. Celebrimbor's weak by himself compared to Talion, but he can dominate hordes of orcs like a presidential candidate. Once you realize how effective it is, the DLC actually becomes about the same difficulty as the base game.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 13, 2017, 05:48:39 pm »

Which is fine, except it doesn't really synergize with a whole lot rune-wise, and does a whole wad of fuckall to the chiefs who are busy tearing you apart whether you're focusing on them or not.  You also need to first get up to a decent combo and then maintain it in order to get any real effect out of the move, and doing so can be a wee bit tricky when everything is pain.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 13, 2017, 06:25:43 pm »

Yeah I wasn't a fan of the ground slam convert attack. Using it well was too terrain dependent (IIRC).

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 13, 2017, 06:58:58 pm »

Oh well. To me it made the difference between "this is impossible" and "this is alright". For troublesome chiefs I used the ring mode to murder them and otherwise kept my distance, building up combos and ring charge on regular scrubs, all the while turning more and more of them to my side so that at the very least they kept the chiefs busy.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 13, 2017, 07:45:51 pm »

Yeah, Celerybrambles definitely is not supposed to be played like Talion. While Talion is a rough and tumble murder machine, Catlikeborkbork is a corrupting force, slowly turning the tide of battle until he can overwhelm or absolutely overpower his foe (using numbers or the power of the ring, respectively). I liked it, and would have definitely bought another DLC that added onto that if it were possible.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 53