Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 71728 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #510 on: September 14, 2017, 03:30:50 am »

This is the point where I mention that I beat the DLC boss without using the ring, right? It seems like it's that point.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 15, 2017, 01:04:00 pm »

All of this makes me want to load of SoM and play around with it a bit. I never got to play as Crankybeefbroth either, was that the point of the DLC?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 15, 2017, 01:34:07 pm »

All of this makes me want to load of SoM and play around with it a bit. I never got to play as Crankybeefbroth either, was that the point of the DLC?
Theres also a 'fight more caragors and other beasties' dlc, which is ok i guess?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 15, 2017, 06:03:28 pm »

Something people seem to be missing with the whole where's the money going thing is that revenue != profit.  WB can still take money from the DLC, but WB's shareholders are not getting dividends from it.
Shoes...

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 19, 2017, 11:16:55 am »

Can someone explain whats changed exactly from Shadow of War?
I played it when it first released, however there was an update recently with some Nemesis thing and a free-roam or something?

How exactly does this change things, I'm going to play it again to benefit from the cross-over that this added... but I don't understand how it exactly works.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 20, 2017, 02:49:02 am »

Can someone explain whats changed exactly from Shadow of War?
I played it when it first released, however there was an update recently with some Nemesis thing and a free-roam or something?

How exactly does this change things, I'm going to play it again to benefit from the cross-over that this added... but I don't understand how it exactly works.

The new mode in SoM is called 'Nemesis Forge' and plays like the normal game, but is without missions and progression. Its sole purpose is to let you inspect the Saurons Army screen, where your worst nemesis (based on your real play through(s?)) and your best friend among branded captains will be clearly marked. You are then able to manipulate the power struggle in this Nemesis Forge mode to change who your nemis is (e.g. by letting youself be killed by him) and who your friend is (easiest by killing other branded orcs until your favorite is marked).

These two should then be transfered to SoW.
Exactly how that happens it not known to me. I guess SoW will scan the system for the relevant SoM file, so SoM will probably have to be installed.
It will also be interesting to check how much of the old character data can be kept 1-1, - especially if the nemesis/friend looks the same, or if it will just be an orc with the same name and class but otherwise 'new'.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 20, 2017, 07:19:51 am »

So, this might be viewed as compensation for the recent DLC debacle, but now Shadow of Mordor and the pre-order for Shadow of War are part of the humble bundle.

Shadow of War pre-order's at 80 bucks, and I think it's the standard edition, so it's more expensive than the normal pre-order (though you do get a t-shirt, which I'm not sure is part of the regular pre-order). On the other hand, you get to decide what part of the money goes where, and which charity you support.

I'm kind of wondering how this is profitable for a new release. To me it's always felt like humble bundle is where new releases and early access games go before they die.

EDIT: Strangely enough, I'm noticing Shadow of War is not part of the Developers slider menu. Though that might be because Shadow of Mordor already covers the developers?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:22:15 am by Virtz »

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 20, 2017, 03:04:54 pm »

So I answered my own previous question.

Problem is, I suppose 3 years ago I dominated and branded all the captains? So now the entire line-up is just my branded dudes who occasionally die here and there.

How can I just kill them all off to recycle all the captains and warchiefs?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 20, 2017, 04:07:22 pm »

You can kill your own captains almost any way you can kill hostile captains, they don't even fight back. If something prevents you from striking the final blow you can always dominate them and choose the kill option instead of ordering them around.
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 20, 2017, 05:14:27 pm »

I recommend throwing them off a 5 foot cliff to their death as the most emasculating way of getting rid of them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 21, 2017, 03:50:58 am »

Or, y'know, just go anywhere even remotely near any of them and push the "kill all branded uruks" button.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 21, 2017, 11:57:43 am »

I stopped doing that when I exploded a captain I didn't want to kill who was half way across the zone.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 22, 2017, 09:34:15 am »

Yeah, same. But if your aim is to specifically kill off a great number of branded uruks so you can get some hostile blood into the mix, there aren't many options more effective than the tactical uruk nuke.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 26, 2017, 05:13:36 pm »

WB backpedaled on their idiocy and decided to stop selling the preorder of the "charity" DLC as well as any future sales of it. They also refunded any existing purchases of said preorder (fucking pre orders for microtransactions...). They decided instead to just make a charitable donation and make the DLC free.

You can read their spin and tripe here. I'm sure it says something like "oh our intention was always to be generous and helpful and we totally weren't trying to hide anything and the internet people were being evil to us boo hoo hoo". I'm sure it's as legitimate and honest as their defense on their loot box scheme that you can see here.

Either way. The case is closed. No more fake charity bullshit. Fuck this asshole company though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 26, 2017, 06:20:34 pm »

Guess I'm not surprised they back pedaled. We live in the Age of Outrage and companies are responsive to it. I'm still not sure whether or not I'll buy it at release, but at least if I do I know it's not sending the signal I approve of the "charity" DLC.

For Monolith....I'm willing to believe they actually tested it without microtransactions. I'd *like* to believe they're between a rock and a hard place, and if they are willing to publicly assert the MTX are purely additive (as in conceived of and implemented outside of the normal gameplay loop) then I'm willing to take that at face value. Setting aside the ethics of the question, nothing I've seen in SoW prior to the MTX announcements leads me to believe the game will "need" this extra loot and orc captains to be playable and fun.

While the outrage has been at times cringy, I'm glad the conversation was had around as big a game as this. I am glad that attention can still be called to it, and it wasn't collectively swept under the rug. It clearly had enough perceived impact to WB to make them change course. I'm not going to crow about it though. It's just unpleasant in general.

Still on the fence about buying. Even though I can live with loot boxes, my enthusiasm for the whole thing has been pretty tainted by all this. It was stars and rainbows before, and then the goddamn publisher had to start meddling. Just sit in the shadows and make your fucking money, FFS. Quit screwing with the developer and the community just for another fucking buck.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:43:26 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 53