Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53

Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of War  (Read 72753 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #765 on: November 22, 2017, 07:10:32 pm »

Good lord, the tribe DLC's $15? That's... Pretty ballsy. Even more so if you're Yurpean and the price is suddenly €15 for no reason.

I would've considered getting the game on sale, but... Well to be honest, it's still a little bit rich for my blood. Especially considering the bullshittery you end up supporting with the purchase... Kinda feel like I should throw money at something a bit more ethically sound before I buckle down for this one, something like Battlefront 2 The Witcher.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: November 22, 2017, 07:27:06 pm »

I mean my choice right now is between Conan Exiles (on sale for 20$) and this.

WB has been doing some shady stuff, and CE is way cheaper, if obviously not as polished. Free Market ho!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: November 22, 2017, 08:11:33 pm »

I kinda knew the DLC would be in the $15 to $20 range. Given what it brings to the table, it's above a $3.99 weapon skin or item DLC by a good margin. Not sure if the price completely merits it but I suppose that's in the eye of the beholder.

So the Slaughter Tribe introduces a couple new kinds of missions. None are amazing in their depth and have a whiff of recycled code but eh, what did one really expect?

Tribal Showdowns are EITHER a guy just ready to fight you, basically a Death Threat mission with no preamble. OR they're a sort of Battle Royale between the Slaughter Tribe and other orcs from the map. The Slaughter Tribe in the fight are all epics and legendaries, and I believe pull from the pool of hostile, unidentified orcs so. So the fights can potentially get quite big. The Slaughter Tribe just seem to rampage around Mordor killing anyone or anything in their way. No idea what a "Blood Ambush" is, didn't see one in an hour or two of play. Their tribal aesthetic tends toward bloodspattered butcher's aprons and ragged cloth. Their tribal attack is flinging a pair of cleavers at their enemies.

The missions don't really seem repeatable, they pop up on the map and are colored like story missions right when you start up the game. There were three or four available in the region I loaded in to. So I think there's a finite amount of these you get to do per game.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:19:02 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: December 17, 2017, 01:39:57 pm »

i started a new game (i have this on console and so i don't feel like getting the dlc) things are progressing well. i waylay a random orc commander (he had on this pseudo-roman armor on which was pimpin)  who i wanted to capture but escaped. i found him about to get executed later and i save him and induct him there. he countered an ambush ment for me already. tark n' roman ork bffs forever.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 13, 2018, 01:14:43 am »

PTW, but also, I just reached the end (well, reached Act 4 anyway).
That ending is *so much better* than I expected.  It actually makes sense, especially considering this absurd concept!  I love it!  I could rewatch some of these scenes later, I was constantly taking screenshots.

Really glad I wasn't spoiled on it.
Edit:  Just to brag, I was on hard difficulty (though not hardest), and I never died in these closing parts.  I might look up what happens, later.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 01:16:35 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 14, 2018, 02:52:41 am »

Just have the last mission before the Shadow War to do in my Nemesis mode game.

I've probably died about 20 times now, give or take. It's still a fairly uncommon occurrence.

Definitely spent less time faffing around baby sitting orcs in this playthrough, now that I knew about the Bruz quest effects and how things generally need to play out. Way better to wait until you're 20 levels above your orcs and do a couple Nemesis missions a piece to level them up fast, rather than revisiting them ever 4 or 5 levels.

The change to Iron Will so it can be gotten rid of easier with shaming is very nice. Usually only takes one or two shames to get rid of it.

Outlaw tribe was kind of a disappointment. Their tribal identity isn't really well defined IMO. It's kind of like "hodge podge of different armors" and "rarrr we're on the outside!"

Debating trying Gravewalker mode but eh......not sure I want to play through the game in OHK mode. Nemesis can be punishing enough if you're not paying a good amount of attention.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 03, 2018, 10:33:06 am »

So, there's been an announcement that WB will be cutting gold and gold-bought war chests from the game come July 17th. Players will have until that date to spend whatever gold is in their account, and any leftover will be automatically transformed into items.

The spin on this is of course that it "weakened the storytelling elements of the Nemesis system", since you could just buys orcs rather than brand them yourself and develop a history together. But... yeah. They're just not making enough money off of the microtransactions to justify the bad rep and server expenses.

Also, there are some changes planned for the shadow wars segment. Something-something "streamlined" and "improved with new narrative".

All in all, it's looking up! This is the kind of change that would make me actually reconsider buying it at some point, rather than keeping it on my Steam wishlist just to chuckle knowingly at its expense whenever it goes on sale.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 03, 2018, 10:43:48 am »

The spin on this is of course that it "weakened the storytelling elements of the Nemesis system", since you could just buys orcs rather than brand them yourself and develop a history together. But... yeah. They're just not making enough money off of the microtransactions to justify the bad rep and server expenses.

alternative: they already made almost all the money they could hope to make from the microtransactions, so they're turning it into a PR opportunity to put the game back in the news

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 03, 2018, 11:34:54 am »

The political winds are shifting against loot boxes, with state and federal governments increasing viewing it as straight up gambling. So yeah, they're cutting support for it now. No reason to maintain servers and infrastructure for a non-existent microtransaction economy.

Kinda makes me wonder though how support for other multiplayer features will fare, now that there's no cash cow supporting their reason for existence. Plenty of games with online systems end up shutting them down after a few years. Support for Shadow of Mordor is still going, but I wonder if WB would take their toys home if they can't have their loot boxes.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 11:41:15 am by nenjin »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 03, 2018, 12:36:09 pm »

I hope everyone takes their loot box toys home, and then shoots them.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 03, 2018, 05:18:09 pm »

So does that make mirian entirely pointless once you have fort upgrades, then?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 03, 2018, 05:20:56 pm »

Don't worry! There's also the gear upgrades that are so cheap you don't even notice them!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 03, 2018, 06:56:08 pm »

The way they're making it sound, it's just the gold and platinum war chests that are going away. Meaning you'll still get silvers. Which you can spend Mirrian on.

In a way the marketplace has to stay. How else will you manage the garrison or get training orders?

TBH the marketplace never bothered me, because I'm not susceptible to shit like that. It never ruined my progression, just made it faster to fill out my roster with epics than tediously murdering my way there. But with how often they gave out gold via the community challenges, it was kind of nice to stop in every once in a while and get some legendary orcs, or that legendary piece of gear you just couldn't get to drop.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: May 18, 2018, 11:40:07 am »

There's a free trial weekend for Shadow of War. It's not the traditional "free weekend" in that it is more of an limited time demo, but it's nice to be able to check it out if you've been on the fence.

I've played about an hour so far and I'm not sure how I feel about the combat, it looks great and is entertaining to watch sometimes, but often I just feel like I'm not doing a whole lot. It could be that I'm early in the game and don't have a lot of skills unlocked. I hope the demo covers the orcémon part of the game though, as that's the bit I'm most interested in.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: May 18, 2018, 03:15:57 pm »

The game is also 50% off on Steam, which brought it down to a price I'm happy to pay. Given the size of the game and my download speed, I'm sure I'd have missed the whole trial weekend anyway.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53