Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Bloodyhalls, Fortress of Immortality: Weremoose Apocalypse  (Read 9536 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodyhalls, Fortress of Immortality: Weremoose Apocalypse
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2017, 12:28:48 am »

Chapter 3: Bloodyhalls, Hideout

1st Limestone, 251  Excerpts from the journals of Cmdr Risen

Autumn has come.  The three visitors: Human Bard Fikod, Speardwarf Urvad, and Swordsdwarf Vabok are all weremoose.  They were lured to go to cavern 2 when the meeting room is set there.

However, when they die, they resurrect back to a random body parts strewn about in the fortress.

13th Limestone.  Speardwarf Urvad is berserking about the fortress.  Despite most of the cursed are in the Weremoose Corral, there are some that still transforms in unsecured areas.  It is not safe outside the Hideout during full moon.

Thirteen of us stationed in the Hideout.  After locking the hatch, station orders are cancelled so we can move about doing labors in this our confinement. 

During this chaos, the human outpost liaison Omon Turarismal from Tekkud Azoth arrived. 

I hope they aren’t attacked and get infected to fuel more chaos on the surface.

wm Civ Fikod resurrected and transformed near the surface and immediately attacked the caravan who were first to enter the trade depot.  Two other wagons and three traders with pack animals start fleeing to the northeast.

15th Limestone.  The monthly chaos ends, and the human liaison patiently waits at the edge of the region, unmoving. 

20th Limestone.  We are going to to tap the murky water and channel it down to a gravity filter to fill our indoor well.

Two separate bridge locks that will connect to the hospital, and central stairs room of the old fortress are ready.  The next step to commit to digging one wall layer to create this path.  It is not needed now, but perhaps someday.

The garbage smasher in the original fortress is completed, but the lever control is there.  Perhaps we will put a lever in the Control Room to remote access this garbage smasher.

Orders for slabs to be engrave are queued.  We engraved and memorialized for the ghosts of Tun, Leader Dobar, and Minkot B.

The Outpost Liaison shared old news about our fortress.
Spoiler: old news (click to show/hide)

28th Limestone.  The trapdoor room for cavern 2 is smoothed.  The floors are slowly being channeled so that a retracting floor can be installed and drop its occupants down to Weremoose Corral.

1st Sandstone.  Datan Inkysweltered is now ‘Species Unknown’

13th Sandstone.  Our full moon actions are becoming routine: activate the Weremoose Corrall burrow, and then station our squads in the Hideout.  It is working out so far, and good for our safety.  The meeting area is moved cavern 2 as it seems to work well because the cursed guest also go there.

19th Sandstone.  Wood Kogan is taken by a fey mood and claims a craftsdwarf shop in the Hideout.  4 days later, Kogan begins a mysterious construction.  And 3 more days after, a pecan wood toy boat is created with an image of an elf and a marsh titan.  It’s worth ☼7200.

Seven migrants arrived, despite the danger.  Cmdr Risen assigned Capt Olon C, a competent macedwarf, to lead his new squad, The Trustworthy Quakes.
Mace Tun E
Mason Deler S
Mason Kulet K
Mech Ushrir D
Farmer Ezum A
Farmer Iteb M

3rd Timber.  Anticipating a new moon soon, The Weremoose Corral burrow is activated, and the 4 squads are to station in the Hideout.

14th Timber. We tapped a murky pool on the surface, and water begin to filter down and fill the well cistern.

27th Timber.  Omon, a human animal caretaker is helping construct some floors, or hauling logs to put in the stockpiles inside the Hideout.  This is a very suspicious activity. 

Spoiler: helpful cursed human (click to show/hide)
No, Omon is not a citizen, nor can labors or military duty be assigned.

We discovered the existence of a free iron anvil in the trade depot.  We are digging a small forge area inside the Hideout so we can smelting some galena.  We need a silver chain for the well.

2nd Moondstone.  A Wild Troll shows up in cavern 2 unmolested.  When the hatch is unlocked to set burrow for the pre-full-moon routine, the troll gets out of cavern 2 and begins destroying the hatch. 

No time to fight it now, we are stationing in the Hideout.  Omon has already left and gone to the Weremoose Corral.

We busy ourselves placing 30 beds in private bedrooms.  We will need hatches, doors, coffers, and cabinets.

6th Moondstone.  Omon, that human animal caretaker is indeed a weremoose.  She transformed on the surface.

8th Moondstone. The chaos seems to be done after a day and a half.  Some of the miners are continuing the digging of the arena project. 

The Garbage Smasher is working, and can be controlled in the Control Lever room.

27th Moonstone.  A Forgotten Beast Mevena has come.  A towering blob composed of ash.  It has a broad shell and it undulates rhythmically.

Spoiler: FB Mevena (click to show/hide)

A Blind Cave Ogre is also wandering cavern 2 and was shut out by the hatch.

Mevena has come to visit the Weremoose Corral.  The full moon isn’t expected to rise in over a week.  It would be interesting to see this fight.  But to my disappointment, one kick from wm Smith Kol kills Mevena.

4th Opal.  The full moon’s chaos is pretty much routine in cavern 2.  And we use this time to Socialize, tell and listen to stories.

Spoiler: full moon social (click to show/hide)

18th Opal.   Another forgotten beast, Upe has come in cavern 1.   It is a great crocodile with wings, purple taupe scales, and spews poisonous gas.  Cavern 1 is locked, so we will ignore Upe.
Spoiler: upe (click to show/hide)

Obsidian, 251.  Excerpts from the journals of Sigun Snakeorb, Expedition Leader of Bloodyhalls
There are two full moons this last month, and we managed alright.

Twenty five of us spread into 4 squads are the true citizens of Bloodyhalls. 

Our Hideout burrow has grown with 30 private bedrooms.

The farms has both indoors and outdoors plants.

We are slowly taking the booze stocks from the old fortress, and also making our own lavish meals.  We have our own well, with water source filtered via gravity from the murky pools above which replenishes when it rains.  The lever the controls the water to fill the well cistern is behind constructed walls for our own safety. 

There is a Control Room with noted levers.  There are notes on both functioning lever and target bridge.  One lever remains unlinked, and reserved for the south bridge of the arena, whenever that bridge is built. 

Speaking of arena, 6 z-level are dug, with the arena floor (z+0) and level above (z+1) have walls that are naturally smoothed to prevent climbing out.  The stone layers from z+2 and z+3 aren’t smoothed, but these can be smoothed when rooms are built, and gem windows are installed for viewing the fights.  When the combatants are pitted down here in the future. 

There are plenty of quartzite stones and it keeps the mechanics and masons busy.  Some even dabble in stone crafting to engrave slabs for few ghosts. 

A couple of forges from anvils left behind by merchants let us make silver weapons from the galena ores.

We also started building walls on the surface around the Hideout, with an elevated bridge entry.  The rest of the walls are still under constructions, however.

A lever is connected to the garbage smasher in the old fortress.  Some body parts that are thrown down there have already resurrected.  They are trapped and unable to climb out due to some layers are naturally smoothed stones.

There is also a small meeting room above cavern 2.  It has feather wood floors that can be retracted to drop those inside, and fall down to The Weremoose Corral.  The lever to control the floor is in the Control Room in the Hideout.

The human Bard Fikod and Sworddwarf Vabok hangs around the old fortress hospital, where wm Mason Aban has been in bed for over half a year.  Each month, these three weremoose fight in the hospital.  It is dangerous to setup a hospital inside the Hideout, because the injured cursed dwarfs may be carried to the hospital where they can turn during the full moon and cause chaos where it is not wanted.

This year is ending, and I am about to attend the full moon social gathering in Bloodyhalls, Hideout.

The Save: Bloodyhalls, Immortal Fortress - End of Sanctume's Turn, 252-01-01
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:50:24 pm by Sanctume »

Herodian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2017, 01:21:47 am »

Well, things seem to have stabilized quite well, fortunately for me! I'm going to need to work out the whole full moon burrow thing fast.
The world is grey, the mountains old,
The forge's fire is ashen-cold;
No harp is wrung, no hammer falls:
The darkness dwells in Durin's halls;
The shadow lies upon his tomb
In Moria, in Khazad-dûm.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2017, 01:45:48 am »

Well, things seem to have stabilized quite well, fortunately for me! I'm going to need to work out the whole full moon burrow thing fast.

Full moon dates are in the wiki.  I did a conservative 4 days to station the 4 squads in the Hideout burrow, while activating a civilian alert burrow for Weremoose Corral.  I assigned the cursed citizens in the the weremoose corral burrow.

Then I manually forbid the hatch and door in cavern 2 (hotkey F7).
And I also manually forbid the hatch and door in the Hideout burrow (hotkey F4). 
Check the N for notes on which ones in the Hideout. 

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2017, 03:16:15 am »

Ahah xD I think this was one of the Funniest 2nd year I've heard of in a long time :)
Fun all around the corner, things can only go bad good either way from now :P

Very nice idea, TheFlame. Makes for good stories ;)
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2017, 05:04:15 am »

Well, nice to know it's gone well so far. And even got migrants! What does the death page look like? XD

So I guess we wait until all the body parts are inside the Corral, right?
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2017, 08:29:34 am »

I turned down the volume of Soundsense. 

I would hear 20+ growls from transforming weremoose, followed by curdling cries of the dying from "... struck down", and then a spam of "dun dun dun" sound from "... has been found dead", and a fading echo of distant fighting sounds as if sparring, but these are from those still alive and chasing and shredding each other to body parts. 

The weremoose corral is patches of 11x11-ish areas in the muddy floor of cavern 2.  It is not an open field, but it is a maze-like of tunnels and pillars of stone. 

That climax in the peak of the full moon is just the opening scene of the chaos.  Random resurrects happen to wherever a valid body part lays on the floor.  And since the full moon is still in effect, they remain berserk and continue their violence.  Not everyone is down in the corral, so fights can happen in the old fortress, especially in the hospital where one stubborn cursed dwarf stays in bed for many months now and two human visitors likes to hang out.

This chaos continues throughout the next day of the full moon until it dies down on the 2nd day where another cacophony of sounds from 20+ "... transforms into a dwarf!" 

Some lingering revenge thoughts is still present as brawls continue but does not effect those not part of the conflict.  At this time, the chaos has settled down, and some semblance of order begins. Or at least the uncursed can continue to labor on projects, including replacing broken doors and hatches--or making that arena! :)

Edit, I wanted to add these before I forget:

p.s. 1 - I did witness the human Omon proceed to help dump body parts to a garbage zone near the surface. 
It will probably possible to paint the weremoose burrow leading to the hole which drops down to the magma tube in cavern 3. 
Set a garbage zone there and see if those in the weremoose corral burrow will help dump body parts and clean cavern 2.

p.s. 2 - Also, remember the Friendly Trolls back in chapter 1?  There was 1 then 2 then 3?  Well, the GCS is gone but there is a Troll vs Troglytes(sp?) wars going on in cavern 1.  The count of Friendly Trolls has been increasing.  It might be fun to dig a ramp from cavern 1 down to cavern 2 and 3 and set the garbage zone to dump body parts onto the magma tube.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:45:23 pm by Sanctume »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2017, 01:39:45 pm »

Herodian, it's your turn.

Herodian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2017, 04:28:01 pm »

I'll hopefully have my first post up some time tomorrow evening!
In Moria, in Khazad-dûm.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2017, 04:56:29 pm »

PLAN
1. Make a temple to a god
2. Put a few statues in the temple
3. Catch a few trolls in cage traps (don't use the one we already have, that one's a weremoose)
4. Release the trolls in the temple one at a time, let them knock over statues, then recapture them
5. Figure out which troll is a vampire
6. Make a well with spikes at the bottom
7. Drop troll down the well
8. Have uninfected dwarves drink from well
9. Dwarves are now vampires, and therefore immune to werebeast curses
10. Profit!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2017, 11:22:17 pm »

PLAN
1. Make a temple to a god
2. Put a few statues in the temple
3. Catch a few trolls in cage traps (don't use the one we already have, that one's a weremoose)
4. Release the trolls in the temple one at a time, let them knock over statues, then recapture them
5. Figure out which troll is a vampire
6. Make a well with spikes at the bottom
7. Drop troll down the well
8. Have uninfected dwarves drink from well
9. Dwarves are now vampires, and therefore immune to werebeast curses
10. Profit!

Yeah, there may be one, two, or ten holes in that plan
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2017, 08:36:40 am »

This was my original plan before the Weremoose came

Herodian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2017, 12:38:53 pm »

For real, barring troll blood shenanigans, is there anything I desperately need to get to work on? Otherwise, I'll probably get to smoothing things, cleaning up and preparing for more competent successors.
In Moria, in Khazad-dûm.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2017, 01:35:50 pm »

For real, barring troll blood shenanigans, is there anything I desperately need to get to work on? Otherwise, I'll probably get to smoothing things, cleaning up and preparing for more competent successors.

The fortress is yours.  Feel free to pursue your dreams. 

You want a cat bathtub.  Go for it!

You want to exclusively just plant Sunshine and brew them, and export them?  Sound fun!

You want to train squads using silver spears and leather robes?  Kinky!

Herodian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2017, 03:50:39 pm »

1st Granite, 252

My name is Herodian, Engraver and Weaponsmith extraordinaire, and it seems as if I have been chosen as overseer for the year. I cannot say the task does not daunt me, the step from stone detailing and weaponcrafting to command over the lives of thirty of our fellows is a rather large one, but it is my duty, and I shall do it. The first order of business, naturally, is to smooth out the walls of our hideout. We spend such a great deal of time in here that it seems like folly to leave it such a mess. In the immediate aftermath of the infection, much of the fortress was filled with debris, and I should hope to begin the process of cleaning the place out.

6th Granite

The poor blighted folk down below have turned back. They stay down there, and we stay up here, behind plenty of sealed gates, thank you very much. A few wander, but the majority of the central fortress is clear. At least, clear of weremoose, not of several tonnes of gore.

12th Granite

I am acquainting myself with the strange machinery of the control room, and as I survey the various notes left by my predecessor, I found myself captivated with the magma, deep in the earth below. I may have found a solution to our bodily debris issue, if Only I have the mechanical acumen to put it into place. The masons yet available have been set to work at their various tasks, those idle from work have been set to smoothing out, and food production continues cleanly.

13th Granite

I know what my project shall be. I must carry the magma from below to our level, for use in burning the remnants of our wretched fellows. We cannot risk the dangerous journey for each tooth, and my project shall perhaps expand from then on, if I am given the chance to pursue it. The red gleam of the earth shall grace these halls if I have any say in it. I must simply find some material capable of bearing the magma for pipes. I do not know of any sand available for glass, silver and zinc melt too easily, and we cannot use anything else for pip sections. It is a conundrum I will have to face soon.

18th Granite

Nether Cap! The great mushrooms of the caverns, through some strange attribute of their own, are peculiar in their temperature, and will not burn in Magma. It will be hazardous to harvest the logs needed, but we shall do it, our intrepid woodsmen (Perhaps spelunkers is a wiser word) shall set to work immediately. As they work below, the great Trog-Troll war continues, with perhaps fourty combatants absorbed in the bloodshed. We in the hideout are preparing for the coming full moon, and I shall be cautious to summon the spelunkers back for the social when the time comes. Our waylaid brethren are now all confined in the cavern. So long as they do not die, or are only returned to the world from fragments in the caves, they shall stay that way.

Sorry this is brief, but it took some time to get into the swing of things!
In Moria, in Khazad-dûm.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2017, 07:23:45 pm »

I've got a fantastic idea when it comes to the temple thingy! Build a temple to Armok and dump all the weremoose body parts into it, then move the WM Corral into it. Let them coat the floor and walls in blood!!! AHAHAHAHHAAHAH! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! BONES FOR THE BONE THRONE! Rivers of magma could flow through it and be used as garbage dumps too.
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6