Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stopping Miasma  (Read 3416 times)

mmkstarr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stopping Miasma
« on: April 16, 2017, 03:45:02 pm »

Are there any comprehensive guides for beginners on how to prevent and stop miasma?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stopping Miasma
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 06:00:14 pm »

I'd check the wiki.
- Miasma only appears below ground. An area that's ever been exposed to the sun will forever become above ground, and won't produce miasma.
- Miasma doesn't spread diagonally, so the only access being diagonal will contain it. It also won't spread through closed doors (a normal door will do, provided it's not jammed open by a dropped sock).

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 03:32:25 pm »

- Don't let things rot.
- If the rotting thing is an animal, slaughter it.
- If the rotting thing is a dwarf, lock them in a room until they die of it.
- If it does rot, dump it ASAP before it makes people miserable.
- If it's a dwarf.resident corpse, bury it before the ghost gets mad.
- If it's a non-resident corpse, corpse stockpile.
- All refuse stockpiles for actual refuse go outside where there's no miasma, or get dumped into magma. Build a floored-over courtyard for those, and assign wheelbarrows to it; corpses are heavy.
- If it creates miasma, magma will destroy it.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 04:21:05 pm »

The wiki...
Miasma is scary when you first encounter it but it is not as bad as it seems, just find the rotting stuff and get it out of the area.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 10:01:36 am »

Make a miasma airlock
| = door
- = wall
W = source

------
| |W-
------
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 04:33:25 pm »

I would also advise doing a "garbage chute" style waste disposal system for your fortress, where you have a deep pit dug down and a dumping zone on an edge near the top.  Put a refuse stockpile near the dumping zone to expedite clearing away rotting junk.  Make the pit deep enough that anything generating miasma on the bottom will disperse before it reaches the top. 

For extra bonus points, install a hatch halfway down the chute and link it to a pressure plate at the entrance to the disposal area.  Make the pressure plate trigger by citizens stepping on it, and you will seal off the bottom of the pit when not in use.  Anything tossed down the pit will land on the hatch, then when the hatch opens will fall to the bottom.  For extra extra bonus points, make the bottom of the chute filled with magma.