Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: False Illusion - Step Past the Mirror - IC  (Read 14404 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
False Illusion - Step Past the Mirror - IC
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:38:33 am »

OOC Thread

"Jarrah! My Jarrah! Where have you gone?"

Words echoed in the mist, but with no listener. They resounded back and forth within a mind unawakened and unaware. Physical sensations meant nothing, not even the passage of time. It was a microcosm within the everlasting cosmos, a shadow of an existence, an empty dimension wrapped around itself.
When ideas combine, they tend to form a string of thoughts, a linear progression of cause and effect. A self-consistent narrative. A world of its own.

Such a world could scarcely be called as such. But what can others say? When a crack forms in the wall and blazing light comes rushing through, who can say it isn't real? Who is there to hear?

...Oh.

You are.

A cocoon hatched in the morning, softened by the morning dew. Out fell a little human, small enough to sit in the branches. Yet, being in a stupor, she fell out and landed in a bed of soft grass, where a fearsome duck laid her eggs. Shortly after, a pebble fell out of the cocoon, and hit the fairy square on the head, knocking her out.
A while later, the fairy and pebble awoke on a feather pillow, wobbling side to side as the branches jostled overhead. A large bill greeted the fairy, poking her to grab her attention. A deep voice rang out from below.
"I have been expecting you, child." you hear.

Spoiler: Roboson (click to show/hide)

The fairy called Artem awoke from a long slumber, nestled in a tube worm. Overhead, the myriad waves of the sea's inner surface teased at him, inviting him in.

"'Ey, this one's up!" a voice shouted.

You feel a point graze your wings and torso. A blade cutting your flesh? Actually, it seems the tubeworm's flesh is being sacrificed. Sacrificed to get you free.

"Let's get him out,"

A slender hand grabs your shoulder pad, finding it a good place to get a grip.

"HEAVE!"

You collapse in dry sand, two towering figures standing over you. A red block of ice sits next to you atop a puddle of glass.

"Doesn't look like one of us,"

"You're right. But you can't just leave him here can't you? So whattaya do?"

"Mmmm... let the big fishes take him when the rain up top ends?"

"Splendid idea."

Spoiler: Wozzy (click to show/hide)

An egg cracked in half, raised in a nest of broken glass, needles, and bent silverware--except for one spoon.

Of the fourteen known moons, only one was up at this time. A special occurrence, indeed.
It shone overhead. Directly overhead. Expanding to fill your sight with its embrace, but only for a second as it drops into the earth, mere inches from your fledgling wings. It carves its way down and disappears into the newly-carved tunnel, and for a precious few moments the forest is pitch black under the black sky.

Around the crater, deep below your nest, the soil glimmers with stars, expanding out in every direction.

Spoiler: WunderKatze (click to show/hide)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
Re: False Illusion - Step Past the Mirror - IC
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 11:40:12 am »

Artem shakes himself awake. Hey, what's going on? Who are you? Big fishes?

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 11:52:43 am »

The future is a wonderful guide. Peering forward, determine if someone will come and find me here. The spoon too.

If no one is to come take a flight into the tunnel, ferrying my spoon along with shadow hands. If someone is to come hide myself and watch them.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:05:15 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 12:45:59 pm »

What... Whats going on? he said, somewhat dazed and quite confused.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 12:24:23 am »

The cast has grown to twice its size.

What... Whats going on? he said, somewhat dazed and quite confused.

The duck twists its head, focusing a single eye on you. Staring into it, you realize that this is no duck at all.
"The cycle of life continues, child," it murmurs, its slotted eye constricting to reveal more of its blue-green iris.

"Every thousand years, the little ones find all that they can of the outer world,"

You observe ducklings over a cluster of lichen, carrying twigs and stones in their beaks. Each one has a flower bud growing out of its head.

"And then the miracle of life enters the world. Behold!" The duck uses its bill to thrust aside a blanket of leaves covering a little den under a tree. Inside are cocoons of odd shapes and all sizes. The cocoons each glow with a white light, and inside you see the colored shadows of carved gemstones obscuring the light source. One contains a purple amethyst, another a red ruby, and the third a black diamond.
"Our world begets its children!"

The lights cut out, and the cocoons lie motionless.

"Hmm.

Artem shakes himself awake. Hey, what's going on? Who are you? Big fishes?

"It talks!"

"Better than nothing, right?"

"Hmm, but he doesn't look the right way. Somethin's off about the feathers..."

"Should there be feathers at all?"
The figure shrugs. "I guess not!"

The fairy in charge, whose wings are made of glass, and the assistant, whose wings are ice, help you to your feet.
"Look," he says to you. "We're looking for more of us. If you see someone invisible on your way out, let us know.

We don't really have anything for you to do. But you see up there?"
He points to the sky, which looks like a murky pool.
"That's where the fishes are. It's raining now up there, but when it stops, they're gonna pick you up and pull your head off if you're not careful."

The future is a wonderful guide. Peering forward, determine if someone will come and find me here. The spoon too.

If no one is to come take a flight into the tunnel, ferrying my spoon along with shadow hands. If someone is to come hide myself and watch them.

The stars below you scatter as you plead to them, leaving you in near-darkness. Seems like a negative answer.

The lack of a stable boundary between light and dark makes it difficult to project any shadows. The spoon is heavy, so perhaps leaving it here would be the best--
As your mind entertains the thought, the stars re-emerge out of the darkness. Billions of them, countless like grains of sand.

Somewhere in a rock tunnel, there was an old mirror. It was covered in a mesh of cobwebs, whose practical geometric patterns gave way to twisting spirals and winding helices, the further away they were from the mirror.
In the mirror was a rack of old robes, dark blue by the looks of it, though the only light illuminating the passage came from sunlight pouring into the nearby entrance.

At some point, a ball of yarn had migrated past the mirror into the tunnel, bringing with it piles of lint. And there happened to a fairy wrapped inside, who came to at this very moment.

As you awaken, you hear sounds from the mirror. The robes on the other side muffle what sound like voices--voices from a tongue that isn't quite the same as yours, but you seem to understand its meaning.
"If it's from that closet, someone must have been in there," says a girl on the other side.
"You're right..." an adult says with a tone of caution.

Spoiler: Harry Baldman (click to show/hide)

There was a cave up in the mountains, somewhere far away in the Mountain Which No Man Can Climb (but fairies fly, so it's not a problem). It was sunken into the ground, but the bulk of the cavern was open to the sky. Many exotic grasses lived at the bottom along with dandelions, and whenever the sun was up, a rising air column would take up seeds like a geyser, sending a great cloud of them to the surface.

Stashed in the wall, in an alcove raised at human waist height, was a pile of trinkets from beyond the mirror. There, a fairy awoke under a rock. All around, there were random articles: a tiara; a gown made of purple silk, spread out like a mat upon which the other items rested; a rock sculpture made of sandstone, having been chipped slightly with a piece resting nearby; a box with a wooden snake inside; and a human sword, like a mighty tree trunk to a fairy's tiny hands.

Out on the grass, someone was watering the dandelions. A young woman in a blue dress, human-sized, with no wings to speak of.

Spoiler: Sentient Bowtie (click to show/hide)

A fairy woke up inside an empty ink jar, unscrewing the top from the inside. She emerged, only her black dress stained with black ink residue, finding herself in an empty cabin, on a desk with a round face mirror propped up near the wall.
Strewn across the desk were hair decorations of all colors and kinds: ribbons, flowers, pins, and scarves. But what stood out was a pair of ribbons: one violet, one silver, perched identically across both sides of the mirror. There was a mismatch.

On the far side of both rooms--the one in the mirror included--the fairy saw portraits of a young girl with four ribbons in her hair: two violet ribbons wrapped around her pigtails, two silvery ribbons tied around her side locks.

Spoiler: flazeo25 (click to show/hide)

"She can't be helped, it looks like,"
"What if you just believe?"
"Belief is how they got like this, stupid..."

Those thoughts circled in your head for a while. It took a while to realize they were coming from outside. The murky glass made it difficult to tell, but the way the sound bounced around inside... it all seemed like it was coming from your head.

Slowly, but surely, you managed to tip the jar over the edge. And down you went, shattering your prison into a million pieces on the wooden floor. You land next to a leather book.

A massive foot grinds the glass next to you. A voice comes from above.
"What's this journal..." his eyes, magnified by the glasses he holds against his face, shift over to you. "... Oh?"

Two fairies come down, formerly hovering over the patient's bed.
"You're sneaky, stowing away in our medicine like that," one of them scolds you.

"That jar wasn't marked, stupid," the other shouts.
"Oh I get it! Someone must have set the journal on top!"

The doctor, looking down from above, looks positively puzzled.
"Are you sure this isn't one of the Ruler's toys?"

Spoiler: Mardent23 (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:50:15 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 12:49:40 am »

Bors begins to form, drawing scraps of the journal to form its cloak, a set of paper wings form from the remnants of its journal. "What... What am I? Who am I? What are you? I must learn.  I must know ". Around him, tangles of wires, scrap, and shattered pottery begin to form into vaguely humanoid shapes. Bors motions to the most solid of them. "Help me learn." Only dead did Bors notice the human in the room "What are you? What am I? How did this happen?"
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:43:29 am by Mardent23 »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 06:27:40 am »

Hildegard spends the first few minutes of existence flirting around inside the cavern, looking at this or that, poking and prodding things, eternally curious. She briefly hefts the broken piece of sandstone to test its weight, then floats outside to watch the human with the flowers.
Black lives matter.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 06:38:06 am »

Lilith mind still foggy not sure of what had happened set her eyes on studying the strange area before her thoughts came to her "Oh no what I am? What is this strange place.... This can't be happening?" Her face looked dejectedly as she gazed down at what was now her dress she was wearing which had some substance covering it "It's ruined, my dress is all ruined."
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:43:31 am by flazeo25 »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 12:17:42 pm »

Our world? Please duck, tell me more.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 03:06:04 pm »

Project a hand out the the tunnel carved by the moon and sit in it's palm. Will someone take the spoon? She asks.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 10:50:26 pm »

Our world? Please duck, tell me more.

The duck seems more concerned with the present incongruity.
"The world's children... they aren't moving..."

She leaps into the den, depositing you and your rock on the wet soil with a flap of her wings. Ripping open the cocoons with her beak, she exposes the three "children" to the world:

Dead. All three of them. One is emaciated, the other skeletal. The third's body is intact, undefiled, except for what it shares with all the others: The heads are replaced with white-petaled flowers.

---Connection Lost---

Project a hand out the the tunnel carved by the moon and sit in it's palm. Will someone take the spoon? She asks.

The pale glow provided by the stars contrasts neatly with the stadium-sized cavern carved out by the falling moon. You are able to form a hand by out of this boundary... but the hand begins to disentigrate as your pulpit descends into the tunnel. You make sure to keep the palm suspended above ground level, where it casts a shadow over at least some of the stardust.

Among the starry forest floor, there begin to appear figures made of glowing sand. These figures, shaped like fairies, nonetheless walk on two feet, perhaps limited by their medium. They act out various scenarios, in some cases having their trinkets stolen from them, in one case, a fairy with a sword breaks his trinket in half.

In all cases, the fairy crumbles to dust. Only a lone facsimile of yourself, made of sand, remains, holding a spoon over her shoulder.

---Harry seems to be out this weekend judging from one of his recent posts---

Spoiler: Harry Baldman (click to show/hide)

Hildegard spends the first few minutes of existence flirting around inside the cavern, looking at this or that, poking and prodding things, eternally curious. She briefly hefts the broken piece of sandstone to test its weight, then floats outside to watch the human with the flowers.

You carry the stone over and watch the woman continue to water the flowers. You draw the human's attention, but she just smiles, as if she's seen you before.

There is a tunnel to the right, that leads further into the cave, into the darkness. Frogs roll out of the entrance like armadillos, taking refuge in the grass.

Spoiler: Sentient Bowtie (click to show/hide)

Lilith mind still foggy not sure of what had happened set her eyes on studying the strange area before her thoughts came to her "Oh no what I am? What is this strange place.... This can't be happening?" Her face looked dejectedly as she gazed down at what was now her dress she was wearing which had some substance covering it "It's ruined, my dress is all ruined."

The room is unoccupied, though there seems to be noise outside, a dozen feet of company stamping the pavement.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the mirror, the door opens and an old man walks in, robed in purple and scarlet, hair fading, face distraught. He veers over to the portrait of the young woman, and then glances toward the mirror.

Immediately, some kind of human-sized puppet falls out of the ceiling on the other side, looking exactly like the Old Man, mimicking his movements perfectly. The man seems to believe it, as he shifts his interest and sits down on the bed, chechking the bedside drawer under the portrait.
Something alarms him, and he starts thoroughly searching the desk compartment. Something seems missing.

Meanwhile, the desk ((EDIT: ))on your side of the mirror seems to have a brown journal in it, which the puppet hanging from the ceiling conveniently ignored.

Spoiler: flazeo25 (click to show/hide)

Bors begins to form, drawing scraps of the journal to form its cloak, a set of paper wings form from the remnants of its journal. "What... What am I? Who am I? What are you? I must learn.  I must know ". Around him, tangles of wires, scrap, and shattered pottery begin to form into vaguely humanoid shapes. Bors motions to the most solid of them. "Help me learn." Only dead did Bors notice the human in the room "What are you? What am I? How did this happen?"

Tangles of wire from your incubation jar are all over the place, wriggling over the ground on their own and wrapping themselves around the glass jar's remnants. You build yourself a little Glass Elemental this way, which points its wavering arm toward the bed.
There's a human lying motionless on the bed, although you don't see most of the human; just an arm hanging over the edge. Something feels... utterly alien about sharing a room with real humans.

The green-haired fairy hovers down to the level of your glass construct, and makes a face into one of its more solid faces.
"Don't harass the newlyborn, Siocled" says the one with the pink hair, and the moth wings, turning to you. "You're right, this warrants an explanation."

"That quizzical fellow is Siocled, he's... a friend of mine." she then points to herself. "Alis, pleased to meet you. And you are... descended from that notebook, I presume," she glances at what's left of the journal.
"Really didn't expect an Earthseeker to pop up..." she mutters to herself.

Spoiler: Mardent23 (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:11:26 am by _DivideByZero_ »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 10:55:35 pm »

Hildegard slowly floats over to the human, carefully holding her stone.

"You have a nice cave. Can I stay with you?"
Black lives matter.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 10:59:58 pm »

"Why are you here?  How did I get here? Where do I come from?  Where did you come from?" Without waiting for a response, Bors attempts to clamber onto the bed,   tugging on the human's arm. "" Can you help me learn? Are you alright?"    Motioning to the elemental to  wire more objects, Bors  takes a page from his wing, and  holds up a page to the  fairys' face. "What is this? I can read it, but what does it mean?".
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:08:00 pm by Mardent23 »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 11:08:23 pm »

A horrified look covers over Jarrah, who slowly touches his face. What... what happened?

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 01:14:47 am »

Hermia scouts out the hole upon wings of crow. She tries to pay attention to any astral signs that indicate someone might intercept the spoon.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8