Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: False Illusion - Step Past the Mirror - IC  (Read 14226 times)

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
Re: False Illusion - Step Past the Mirror - IC
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 07:35:52 am »

Lilith not to sure of the situation tilted her head sideways and gazed at the brown journal through the mirror "That mister seems to be looking for something and that book might hold something?" Having stared long enough she tested if Lilith could enter the mirror and then tried wrap the brown journal with wire and animate it so she could drag it closer to study upon.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 08:38:45 am »

((Oh, sorry, I only just remembered I signed up for this.))

"Oh! Uh!" Yuktuk exclaims as she stirs in her resting place. Being born was so weird!

"Er! Yes! Hello? Hello!" she continues, ruffling throughout wherever it is she's wound up in.

Struggle and find my way through this foreboding jungle of cloth and dust.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 03:09:13 am »

A horrified look covers over Jarrah, who slowly touches his face. What... what happened?

The duck quivers, while trembling.

"...they told me it would be simple. Now these children are dead..."
It turns its head and looks you over, its catlike eye glaring.

"Are you even alive?"

"How do I know someone else isn't animating your body?"

Spoiler: Roboson (click to show/hide)

-----Connection Lost-----

Spoiler: Wozzy (click to show/hide)

Hermia scouts out the hole upon wings of crow. She tries to pay attention to any astral signs that indicate someone might intercept the spoon.

While hovering close to the edge, you hear a trickle from the lip of the crater. You can't see astral signs while hovering over the tunnel, because the tunnel is pitch-black and extends down too far to see the moon at its resting place (or maybe the moon simply curved in its path?).

Moving up to observe the source of the trickle, you find that the entire forest glimmers with a layer of water, through which you see the stars of the Other Sky.

Spoiler: WunderKatze (click to show/hide)

Hildegard slowly floats over to the human, carefully holding her stone.

"You have a nice cave. Can I stay with you?"

"Oh! It isn't mine. Nothing here belonged to me, in fact I didn't bring any of this."
She steps barefoot across the fields, passing you by, and sets her watering can down next to the rock wall.
"I'm not sure who did..."

A flock of yellow butterflies lands in the field, settling on flowers. The visual aspect of the field doesn't change much--a sea of yellow is a sea of yellow.

Spoiler: Sentient Bowtie (click to show/hide)

((Oh, sorry, I only just remembered I signed up for this.))

"Oh! Uh!" Yuktuk exclaims as she stirs in her resting place. Being born was so weird!

"Er! Yes! Hello? Hello!" she continues, ruffling throughout wherever it is she's wound up in.

Struggle and find my way through this foreboding jungle of cloth and dust.

((No problemo, threads get buried a lot))

"Huh?" the girl responds. She must have heard you!.

An purple gown, meant for a toddler, bursts through the ancient robes at the back of the closet, followed by an arm and a teenaged girl dressed like a noble, wearing a long white padded jacket over yellow skirt and a white kepi that looks like it was borrowed from a military officer.

Looking distraught, she doesn't even notice you right away. "When did you have a secret tunnel?" she asked the adult, tailing behind her, whose uniform resembles a butler's, more than anything: silk slacks and an open blazer over grey, with a gold ten-pointed star hanging from his collar at about stomach level.
"Secret tunnel? I was never informed of this..."

Spoiler: Harry Baldman (click to show/hide)

Lilith not to sure of the situation tilted her head sideways and gazed at the brown journal through the mirror "That mister seems to be looking for something and that book might hold something?" Having stared long enough she tested if Lilith could enter the mirror and then tried wrap the brown journal with wire and animate it so she could drag it closer to study upon.

While the man in the mirror searches his side of the room, you float on over and grab the book. The man's puppet counterpart looks at you, but it doesn't make a facial expression.

You don't have wires, but you do find string in a drawer, along with feather pens, different colors of ink, various dyes and oils, and a piece of black glass with a handle and a magic glyph on the top side.
Wrapping the handbook up in string, you find that you can make it hop around without putting much tension on the strings; but once it's in your hands, you realize that it's pretty easy to carry even though it's two-thirds as tall as you are.

Opening it, you find pages upon pages of rambling; you idly brush through, finding many words you don't understand, until you decide to look back to a page you've already read. Then, you realize that the book was writing itself as you went along, and that the page from before is now different, with a completely different diagram too.
The only thing that doesn't change is the first page.

Spoiler: Preface (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: flazeo25 (click to show/hide)

"Why are you here?  How did I get here? Where do I come from?  Where did you come from?" Without waiting for a response, Bors attempts to clamber onto the bed,   tugging on the human's arm. "" Can you help me learn? Are you alright?"    Motioning to the elemental to  wire more objects, Bors  takes a page from his wing, and  holds up a page to the  fairys' face. "What is this? I can read it, but what does it mean?".

Leaving the construct connected to you by a wire, you let it put together an identical cousin, using up the last of your wire and shards. You find your ability to control them strained; for the time being, you will only be able to command your constructs as if they were one entity, with all of them either standing idle or performing the same task/movement.

Alis watches you dart place-to-place, mouth ajar as she strains herself to justify your actions. She swats your giant notebook page out of her face, and sighs. But Siocled, having lost interest in your construct, proffers an answer to your existential quandary.
"I think you're missing context,"

"After all, you're making the large assumption that there's something to understand in the first place."
"Siocled, that's the most enlightened thing I've ever heard from you."

"I don't mean to bother you little ones," said the doctor, crouching down to bed height where all the fairies are, "But where did you get the Ruler's journal?"
Alis grins. "I brought it so we could look for an answer. Your people did come to this dimension to escape him, correct?"
"Oooh! Do you mean he could have planned for this all along?" Siocled seems excited.
"my point exactly!" Alis says with a proud smile. "There's no telling how nefarious he is! That is why I beg to disagree on your earlier point. It's always a good idea to look for meanings. You just have to look to the root cause of it all."

The doctor stands and dusts his knee off to a shine.
"...I don't think that's the case," he dreared.

The patient jostled the bed. "Dad... Is he here?" she croaked.

Spoiler: Mardent23 (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 03:11:00 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 12:14:52 pm »

"But you live here. Don't you? So it must be yours now."
Black lives matter.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 01:22:18 pm »

No doubt there was a wealth of context to be absorbed here. Was this horribly dressed girl somehow relevant? What tunnel were they talking about? What was even going on?

Atom Clock! Take in the scene in more detail and make sure to find a spot higher up in the room to observe the proceedings from.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 01:53:44 pm »

"War machines huh?... I wonder does that have something do with that strange puppet" thought herself and just reading through the journal.

Step through the mirror if possible and try to grasp the man emotions by reading them.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2017, 12:25:38 pm »

Landing, Hermia curiously pokes the surface of the water.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2017, 05:46:09 pm »

"Who is 'He'?" Bors immediatly turns to the Patient. "Help her," he says to the  two elementals , and then flies on top of the bed. "Was this your journal?"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 03:19:37 am »

---Connection lost---

Landing, Hermia curiously pokes the surface of the water.

You poke your hand into the water.

A large hand suddenly appears over the edge, and drags you through.

On the other side, in the middle of a still forest, you find yourself dangling in front of a pale, straight-haired young man. He wears spectacles, a grey/black striped coat with a horizontal pattern, and a spiked belt at his waist.
"You're not a fish..."

A silver spoon floats to the surface of the water.

"Oh?"

The young man shifts his gaze.
"Explain."

"But you live here. Don't you? So it must be yours now."

"Live here? I don't know if I can say that."
She looks at the surroundings, and then stares at her hands.

"...How long was I here for?"

Suddenly, the young woman freezes in place. The butterflies have stopped fluttering, except for a couple.
Those are frozen in the air as well.

Then it continues, strangely enough. The woman in blue moves picks the watering can back up.
"Oh well..." she goes back to watering.

You notice two people standing at the entrance of the tunnel which leads further into the cave. They look surprised.

No doubt there was a wealth of context to be absorbed here. Was this horribly dressed girl somehow relevant? What tunnel were they talking about? What was even going on?

Atom Clock! Take in the scene in more detail and make sure to find a spot higher up in the room to observe the proceedings from.

You hide up in the roof of the rock tunnel and continue to go unnoticed. The tunnel ends at the mirror, but the entrance to the tunnel is nearby, filled with sunlight.

"What's that light over there?" the girl asks. "Some kind of sorcery experiment?"

"Your Highness, I assure you that if the Imperial Bazaar financed a sorcerer studying the Golden Light, the main building would be the worst place to conceal him,"

"Hmm." she draws her visor over her eyes. The pair cross through the tunnel, stopping just past the threshold of light and shadow, mouths agape.

"War machines huh?... I wonder does that have something do with that strange puppet" thought herself and just reading through the journal.

Step through the mirror if possible and try to grasp the man emotions by reading them.

You casually land next to the mirror and step through. It's not as if there's a barrier or anything, right? You grab the mismatched ribbons while you're at it--something about them bothered you.
The man's emotions are clear on his face: pure despair. You share his pain, feeling as if the only thing that mattered to you has gone missing, and with it, everything else will crumble to dust.

That last bit just took on a whole new meaning, too. You feel your hair starting to crumble into dust.
A slender hand grabs you from behind and pulls you back through the mirror.

"What are you, too smart for your own good? You'll die if you go there!"
The fairy behind you looks like a mechanic, wearing a hat and an orange apron stained in grease. He has clockwork wings, but elects to walk instead of using them. Perhaps they make too much noise.

"Who is 'He'?" Bors immediatly turns to the Patient. "Help her," he says to the  two elementals , and then flies on top of the bed. "Was this your journal?"

The elementals move to the base of the bed. You try to have then hop up, but one of them bounces off the bed's rim and crashes to the ground, knocking a few pieces of its arm loose.
The other one stands by next to the patient. It glares at you, eagerly awaiting direction. What is it going to do to help the patient, anyway?

The patient seems content to have company, though. She smiles at the team of little people standing beside her. "Cute."

You present her the journal. She responds, but is too weak to actually raise a hand and take it.

"It belongs to dad. So he isn't here I guess..."

She turns her head to face you. A lock of hair falls over her face, with a silver ribbon tied to it.
"Can you tell him I'm sorry?"

"Hmm," murmured the doctor, hand braced under his chin. "A small creature such as yourself can cross the mirror and establish contact with the outer world, correct?"
The other fairies have some hesitation.
"...it isn't that simple."
"You're asking for trouble, old man!"
"Why so?" inquires the doctor.
"Fairies don't exist in the real world. It would be wrong if one of us just wandered in like that."

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:39:52 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 06:00:07 am »

Follow and observe this lot.

Also draw upon my scientific knowledge if I have any: what is the Golden Light? And what is sorcery?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 06:21:12 am »

Hildegard quickly loses interest and zooms over to the new people.

"You're new! Who are you? Do you live here?"
Black lives matter.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 07:10:09 am »

Recovering from the slight pain Lilith landed her gaze on the fairy and taking a bow.

"Thank you for helping me, but may I know who you are, why I here and who am I?"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:13:27 am by flazeo25 »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 06:18:20 pm »

Hermia scowls, trying to find balance. Her wings flutter reflexively.

"Perhaps you'd rather caught a fish. You don't seem too impressed." Hermia hisses, suppressing the urge to steal a look at the spoon.

Yes. The spoon that is a bit too big to carry comfortably. Maybe he can help, Hermia does have the tools to undo such a gambit after all.

"I'm not running away," Hermia pleads. "But that spoon is."
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:32:10 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 01:35:08 am »

Hermia scowls, trying to find balance. Her wings flutter reflexively.

"Perhaps you'd rather caught a fish. You don't seem too impressed." Hermia hisses, suppressing the urge to steal a look at the spoon.

Yes. The spoon that is a bit too big to carry comfortably. Maybe he can help, Hermia does have the tools to undo such a gambit after all.

"I'm not running away," Hermia pleads. "But that spoon is."

He maintains his grip on your hand.
"If you can find me a fish, I'd be impressed.

Otherwise I might just have to eat you instead."

He whisks you over to land and puts a rock on top of your wing.

Then he looks back at the spoon, only to find it still floating. He picks it up out of the water.
"Is this yours?"

Hildegard quickly loses interest and zooms over to the new people.

"You're new! Who are you? Do you live here?"

The girl yelps and falls backwards as you zoom over, dropping her hat.
The adult, dressed like a butler, helps her get up. "Scared of a fairy are you?"
"That's not the only thing that's odd..."

She stares up at the sky, dumbfounded.

"How long has it been?"

Follow and observe this lot.

Also draw upon my scientific knowledge if I have any: what is the Golden Light? And what is sorcery?

Knowledge comes to you naturally--it is as if you are in tune with the spirit of man. Anything about nature that has been discovered, and perhaps things that haven't, come to you as vivid memories stitched together by their common threads.
Human titles and ranks, not so much. You get the impression that a sorcerer is some kind of wizard, but one that more often studies in a cave, or in the wilderness, rather than the safety of an institution. A unincorporated wizard, basically.

But the golden light they were talking about is very clearly one of the central objects of magical research. It represents the fabled Resonant Frequency of Flesh, a frequency whose precise value is unknown, whose theoretical value is unattainable with the current methods of engineering a staff. But legends tell of miracles and healings of all kind, and what all legends like this have in common, across all lands and cultures, is the mention of a brilliant light that accompanies such healings, a light so bright it can be seen through the eyelids. It is thought that once magicians are able to manipulate flesh, they will have the means to impart immortality.

Back to the present, you find another fairy at the entrance, who, fluttering in on her owl wings, managed to scare the girl, who fell backwards and caught herself. The accompanying adult helped her get up.

She stares out past the entrance, sunlight reflecting off her face.

"How long has it been?"

Recovering from the slight pain Lilith landed her gaze on the fairy and taking a bow.

"Thank you for helping me, but may I know who you are, why I here and who am I?"

"What...? Sheesh, it's like you were just born!" says the fairy, who had his hands in his pockets. "The name's Chance."

He points at the mirror, and explains, slowly, stretching his syllables.
"There's two worlds. Your world is this one. Humans live on the other side. You're not supposed to cross over, or you die horribly."

He meanders over to the edge of the desk, and takes flight, his wings creaking as they flutter.

He pulls open a drawer, revealing a pile of sparking dust inside, and a small rock inscribed with a rectangle on top of the pile.

"I had a twin named Lucky. An impulsive fellow. He went to the other side to try and break up an argument. The old man over there isn't a nice guy, for your info.

But no-one heard Lucky over the sound of the argument. He crumbled right away."
Chance points at the pile of dust.

"The rule is, if nobody knows you're there, then you aren't there. Not for long."

--Waiting on a response--

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 03:02:40 am »

This all seems rather sinister. Nothing related to flesh magic could possibly end well, Yuktuk decides from her high perch. Maybe that's what she's supposed to do, interfere with this whole Golden Light business before people start growing eyes where they're not supposed to.

Watch how this develops. Are we actually in a cave right now? I'm a little confused spatially as to what's where and how.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8