Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: False Illusion - Step Past the Mirror - IC  (Read 14406 times)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: False Illusion - Step Past the Mirror - IC
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2017, 03:12:56 am »

Hermia squeaks as the rock makes contact with her wings. She squirms under the weight until she finds something of an equilibrium: a position she can tolerate.

"Eat me? I think I'd make a poor substitute for a fish." Hermia says attempting to maintain her earlier comport. It's hard though with a rock on your wings.

She watches the man pick up the spoon. Her spoon. But she must be careful. She must warrant trust.

"The spoon? I think so." She watches the man intently, she must know what attitude is forming inside of him, "It's peculiar how one finds certain things entrusted to them as they navigate the twists and binds of fate. I don't intend to disappoint.

Fate I mean.

Anyways. You want a fish?"
Hermia entreats.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:52:36 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 03:20:34 am »

This all seems rather sinister. Nothing related to flesh magic could possibly end well, Yuktuk decides from her high perch. Maybe that's what she's supposed to do, interfere with this whole Golden Light business before people start growing eyes where they're not supposed to.

Watch how this develops. Are we actually in a cave right now? I'm a little confused spatially as to what's where and how.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 06:05:26 am »

"You're scared of me? Don't be scared. Watch this!"

Hildegard sets her Trinket down on the cave floor and uses her Earthsoul power to animate it. (It's temporary, right?)
Black lives matter.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 07:10:20 am »

"Ohh.. Well then was that brown journal your's or the mister in the mirrors, are you some kind of craftsmen or something?" Lilith looked a worried upon seeing the dust but narrowed her focus on questioning the fairy.

Try to read fairy thoughts or emotions, then try focus on trying to suppress the old man worries using trance.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:12:53 am by flazeo25 »

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2017, 09:59:54 am »

"Who is 'He'?" Bors attempts to suppress her fear and pain, and increase her willingness  to talk.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2017, 05:15:44 pm »

Hermia squeaks as the rock makes contact with her wings. She squirms under the weight until she finds something of an equilibrium: a position she can tolerate.

"Eat me? I think I'd make a poor substitute for a fish." Hermia says attempting to maintain her earlier comport. It's hard though with a rock on your wings.

She watches the man pick up the spoon. Her spoon. But she must be careful. She must warrant trust.

"The spoon? I think so." She watches the man intently, she must know what attitude is forming inside of him, "It's peculiar how one finds certain things entrusted to them as they navigate the twists and binds of fate. I don't intend to disappoint.

Fate I mean.

Anyways. You want a fish?"
Hermia entreats.

He nods his head, his hand hovering toward the rock atop your wing.

"But," he adds one condition.
"Will you follow me to my home in the woods?"

Silence in the air.

"I've not had much company."

Spoiler: WunderKatze (click to show/hide)

"You're scared of me? Don't be scared. Watch this!"

Hildegard sets her Trinket down on the cave floor and uses her Earthsoul power to animate it. (It's temporary, right?)

The pebble embeds itself in the ground, forming cracks around itself. The girl steps back, surprised by the sudden energy of the strike.

But it wasn't a destructive effect on the rock; neat, hexagonally-shaped slices of bedrock emerge from newly-crafted slots in the floor, and gather around the sandstone pebble core. Sand and crumbs pack themselves into the joints, forming an imposing body about twelve inches tall. Glowing rings occur at its hands and feet, granting it the ability to stick to walls and pick up objects without use of fingers.
It doesn't seem to be crumbling; it might last forever, unless you take it apart. But you'll have to control directly it by your will, since it is an extension as such.

"That's magic..." she dusts herself off. "But without a staff...?"
"I've never seen a wizard do something with this level of detail," says the accompanying adult, crouching to look more closely at the figure.

"Truly exceptional. How does each part move on its own?" he seems to ask you.

Spoiler: Sentient Bowtie (click to show/hide)

This all seems rather sinister. Nothing related to flesh magic could possibly end well, Yuktuk decides from her high perch. Maybe that's what she's supposed to do, interfere with this whole Golden Light business before people start growing eyes where they're not supposed to.

Watch how this develops. Are we actually in a cave right now? I'm a little confused spatially as to what's where and how.

The surprise fairy creates a little creature of sandstone to impress the noble girl.
"That's magic..." says the girl.

You catch a glimpse of the outside realm. It seems to be some type of cave exposed to the surface by a sinkhole; rocky walls surround the area on all sides, and there is no obvious way up to ground level. Fields of dandelions and yellow butterflies dazzle the senses. It's an idyllic scene, and you notice a tall woman in a blue gown walking barefoot across the field, approaching the cave entrance and the new company with a smile on her face.

"But without a staff...?"
"I've never seen a wizard do something with this level of detail," the adult crouches down and stares intently at the sandstone creature. "Truly exceptional. How does each part move on its own?"

The noble girl, however, is more determined by the supposed task at hand, shielding her eyes from the sky and looking across to the clearing. "It doesn't look like Seren could be far... it doesn't look like there is an exit..." She then glimpses the woman in blue, and opens her mouth for a greeting. But she is without words.

Spoiler: Harry Baldman (click to show/hide)

"Ohh.. Well then was that brown journal your's or the mister in the mirrors, are you some kind of craftsmen or something?" Lilith looked a worried upon seeing the dust but narrowed her focus on questioning the fairy.

Try to read fairy thoughts or emotions, then try focus on trying to suppress the old man worries using trance.

Garbage. Utter garbage. Fairy emotions don't make sense to you at all.
It's like you're a different kind of fairy or something.

"You bet I'm a craftsman! You're standing in my painstakingy-crafted reproduction," he says with a sweeping hand gesture.
"The rest of the village, well it's not so well-built, cause nobody else owns a mirror in these parts. But this... it's my pride and joy."

He has in his hand a remote, which he uses to animate the puppet in the room; the remote itself hangs from a wire in the ceiling.

"That fake journal in the drawer you were looking at is just a reproduction. It's a fake book. Didn't need to rewrite the whole thing. What they don't see won't hurt 'em."

Glancing over his shoulder, Chance corrects his puppet's trajectory. It actually walks over to the desk with the mirror.
"Who's arguing out there?" he mutters, putting a hand to his ear.
"Do I need to..." he clutches the back of his waist, pressing his robe against the outline of a dagger on his back.

But you took away his worries.

He releases the dagger, and sits down on the bed.

"I should give her a gift... when she comes back..."

Spoiler: flazeo25 (click to show/hide)

"Who is 'He'?" Bors attempts to suppress her fear and pain, and increase her willingness to talk.

The dying woman chuckles. "Ha ha, 'He' is dad, silly!"

It's already working.

"We need to find a way back," she says to the doctor.
"But Lady Heledd! For all this sacrifice--"
"We're better off alive than dead!" she shouts, uncharacteristically it seems, as the doctor is taken aback.
"How are you...""
"I brought everyone here in the hopes of a new life. That isn't going to happen. We need to open the portal again."
"But Lady Heledd, there is a problem with that." "What is it?" "Of the two men who carried you indoors, do you want to know what happened to one of them?"

She uses her newfound determination to scan the room. She sees no-one else but fairies.

"He's not..."

"He was too heavy for an old man like me to carry."

Spoiler: Mardent23 (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:05:14 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 05:29:59 pm »

"Well now that the mister has calmed down, if this is some workshop of yours then why are you trying to mimic what is on the other side of mirror?" Lilith said as she lowered her gaze at Chance.

"Another thing you mentioned a village, what is the meaning of it matching their world? and is there anything special in the village?" She said her second line of questioning while approaching the window of the room so she could get a grasp of what was outside.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2017, 07:38:42 pm »

"I make it move. Watch!"

Hildegard concentrates, and the new golem marches around; it then dances and poses in silly ways, to the best of its ability; it begins to walk right up a wall near the adult.
Black lives matter.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 07:46:56 pm »

"Is there anything I can do?"

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2017, 11:47:21 am »

Hermia's eyebrows raise in wonder. She wants to.

"As long as you have that spoon I'll always be around. That is the wisdom of the stars."

Hermia follows the man, maybe flying up to glance at the stars briefly. She remains wary. Wary of the man, wary of the earth; wary of fate.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:01:23 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2017, 02:49:58 am »

Hermia's eyebrows raise in wonder. She wants to.

"As long as you have that spoon I'll always be around. That is the wisdom of the stars."

Hermia follows the man, maybe flying up to glance at the stars briefly. She remains wary. Wary of the man, wary of the earth; wary of fate.

"The stars, huh,"
You follow him as he walks up the river. "Sounds like false attribution." The stars don't seem to have much to say. They like to make patterns in the sky.

Some of the stars are descending.

One turns into a streak of light. The forest lights up, if only for a second, but the effects last longer than that: a resounding howl, a shockwave upsetting the trees, and the smell of ozone tainting the air.

"Might that have been the fish you promised me?"

"I make it move. Watch!"

Hildegard concentrates, and the new golem marches around; it then dances and poses in silly ways, to the best of its ability; it begins to walk right up a wall near the adult.

The human's attention seems to be split; the girl is busy confronting that lady you spoke to earlier. How flippant! A marvel of nature presented before her and she brushes it aside to have a conversation.

The older male, on the other hand, continues to be fascinated.
"It-it can attach? By what force! This is splendid!"

His eyes wander.
"It's a shame I didn't take up the sciences. What an opportunity it would be...

...to understand any of this."

He looks up and calls to the other human.
"Your highness, isn't this the same kind of stone as those sandstone sculptures of yours? If the properties are in the rock, then perhaps this tiny fellow could animate them for you. I know Seren would love that, once you find her."

(I'm not giving you much of an opportunity to do much I guess.)

"That face belongs to Seren. What did you do with her? What sort of place is this?!"

The lady in blue can't help but giggle.
"Big sister you're so short! Where've you been all this time?"
The noble girl stepped back.
"You aren't Seren..." she said gravely.

"Then I guess you aren't Bryn..."

"How do know my name! Is this some cruel, premeditated trick? Is Seren..." she reaches for her weapon, sheathed at the waist but obscured by her long padded coat.
"Seren is right here. I'm Seren." said 'Seren.'
"Seren... is two years old," declares 'Bryn.' "And she was with me minutes ago."
"I remember..." she scratches her head, while looking at her arm. "I guess I feel different..."
"Tell us where Seren is!"
"I'm Seren!"

You can't help but feel somehow connected to the lady in blue.

"Well now that the mister has calmed down, if this is some workshop of yours then why are you trying to mimic what is on the other side of mirror?" Lilith said as she lowered her gaze at Chance.

"Another thing you mentioned a village, what is the meaning of it matching their world? and is there anything special in the village?" She said her second line of questioning while approaching the window of the room so she could get a grasp of what was outside.

"Well, we all started building the village a long time ago when the locals were building it on their side. But we ended up realizing that everyone there's poor and no-one had a mirror."
The fairy lets the remote hang for a bit while the Master meditates to himself.
"The object behind duplicating everything, is to keep humans from realizing that it's a different world. If they realize it, they tend to start walkin' on in. And when they walk in, they turn into freaks. Or sometimes they just die. I don't know what makes them do what, all I know is we don't want them coming in."

"We're public servants," he declares.

My workshop is in the attic. If the old man ever brings that mirror of his upstairs, then I guess I have work to do. But this is good for now.
Though really, it'd be nice to know what's happening in the village time to time. Last time we had a fairy than can cross the mirror, he ended up going on some bizzare quest to save the world. So we're kind of blind.

Or I am, at least. I never leave the cabin. Maybe I'm the only one left, even... But this is my job. I can't risk letting him find out."

"Is there anything I can do?"

"Can you fairies open another portal?" answers the doctor in response to your question.

Alis and Siocled stare at each other.

"I get that if one of you could do it, you'd already have... but I was wondering if now that there are three of you, you have enough power..." he continues.

Alis laughs hysterically. Siocled faints.
"Not even close!" she manages to say. "That's... that's so stupid! HAH!"

The doctor looks offended.

"But I guess if you could make a mirror on both sides, we could build a portal, sure.
But normal fairies like us can't go to the other side. We just sort of die."

Siocled's limp body raises a hand.

"There's a mirror in the cabin across from this one. Both sides. I have proof."
"But that one's too small! We can't fit the whole village through."

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:53:29 am by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2017, 03:33:53 am »

"Wisdom is a shape, its an arrangement, for which the universe is an apt vessel.

It is a form that flees the eyes.

At least that's how I like to think about it. Maybe I'm just a sucker for things. Crows, rivers, moons..."
Hermia pauses. "I don't think I make a good vessel for wisdom," she finishes with smile.

"Fish?" Hermia starts scouting the stream in wing powered bounds, looking for a fish to cancel. Cancel its senses that is. At which the man will be able to simply grab the fish.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:35:49 am by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2017, 08:38:56 am »

((Weirdly difficult to keep track of this.))

Right. Enough was enough.

Burst onto the scene.

"Oi! Listen!"

Having said that, Yuktuk pauses to think. There's no doubt a thing to be said here.

"... I understand there's probably a need to work some things out here," she says after a second. "Luckily for you there's a skilled mediator on hand! That's me, yeah. Right."

Quick, is time travel possible under the physical laws of this universe? This is important.

"Clearly there's been a weird miscommunication here," she continues. "You all need to relax a second and puzzle this out. Let's all take deep breaths and stop to think."

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2017, 03:39:23 pm »

"I see, so that's what it's about!" Lilith nodded to herself as she understood the situation.

"This fairy you mentioned, you said to managed to cross through the mirror without dying, did you happen to know how?" she asked the question towards Chance before continuing on "The village outside you said you have no idea what going on now, if so I guess I should go there and gather information." she declared her intentions while heading for the door.

After finishing conversation with Chance, head out the door and to the village to gather information about it.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2017, 02:24:41 am »

(There's a button between to "Mark Unread" and "Add Poll" that sends email notifications, if you don't mind some spam in your folder.)

"Wisdom is a shape, its an arrangement, for which the universe is an apt vessel.

It is a form that flees the eyes.

At least that's how I like to think about it. Maybe I'm just a sucker for things. Crows, rivers, moons..."
Hermia pauses. "I don't think I make a good vessel for wisdom," she finishes with smile.

"Fish?" Hermia starts scouting the stream in wing powered bounds, looking for a fish to cancel. Cancel its senses that is. At which the man will be able to simply grab the fish.

You scout the stream, bounding across its surface. The sheen tells you the boundary, but as you dip into the water, you encounter no resistance. It is a strange moment: the sky is clear, the waters of the stream are as still as can be, and the boundary between worlds is at your fingertips.
The thought crosses your mind: what if you are trapped on this side?

The starving fellow watches you, hands in his coat pockets. It is very dark. Only starlight illuminates the forest.

You discover ripples beneath the surface. The water loses its reflective properties, but as a child of the night you see the situation clearly: a swarm of gnats buzzing over the water. Something underneath is making its move.
A fish! He soars above the water. You see his gills and pointed fins shining against the dark backdrop with a hint of bioluminescence; the flies are illuminated, and the fish lets out a long, skinny tongue to secure dinner.

You blind him with a touch, and he turns out sticky, so you end up riding him into the water like a steed. Being blinded, he can't see where he goes, and after bumping around a bit he ends up floating on the surface thrashing frantically.
The human comes by. A knife flashes for a split second.

"Let's get going, shall we?"

The two of you are alone once again.

:(

((Weirdly difficult to keep track of this.))

Right. Enough was enough.

Burst onto the scene.

"Oi! Listen!"

Having said that, Yuktuk pauses to think. There's no doubt a thing to be said here.

"... I understand there's probably a need to work some things out here," she says after a second. "Luckily for you there's a skilled mediator on hand! That's me, yeah. Right."

Quick, is time travel possible under the physical laws of this universe? This is important.

"Clearly there's been a weird miscommunication here," she continues. "You all need to relax a second and puzzle this out. Let's all take deep breaths and stop to think."

Time travel? Well aren't we all travelling forward in time? If you can slow time, maybe you can send it going backwards by just trying harder!

Seren raises a hand. "I agree with Ms. Fairy."
Exasperated, Bryn furls her brow. But after looking around, she consents to put her weapon back in its place, having confirmed something for herself. "Very well,"

"Mmmmm..." Seren hums blissfully.

"What?"

"Thinking about some... what are those called? Those... squishy things with meat inside of them..." Bryn stares at Seren's face.
"I'm hungry."

"I see, so that's what it's about!" Lilith nodded to herself as she understood the situation.

"This fairy you mentioned, you said to managed to cross through the mirror without dying, did you happen to know how?" she asked the question towards Chance before continuing on "The village outside you said you have no idea what going on now, if so I guess I should go there and gather information." she declared her intentions while heading for the door.

After finishing conversation with Chance, head out the door and to the village to gather information about it.

"How to get across... oh yes, I think he told me he'd follow this one kid around. I think--"
He gathers his thoughts.
"It was a child friend of that old man's daughter... Cycles ago, on the other side, I think. Lots of winters went by.
He said their fates were tied together somehow. He was born out of a paintbrush that kid brought in. He used to make all these paintings with the old man's daughter, and he'd leave them on this desk with the mirror. One day I moved a brush onto this side, and sure enough, a fairy popped out of an ink jar.
Come to think of it..."" he nods toward the ink on your dress.
"Did I really mess up again..." he sits in a corner, looking as depressed as the old man used to be.

After the conversation, you go and investigate the fairy village.

The doorknob is too hard to twist for a fairy. "Use the window," advises Chance.
The window is assisted by a spring, so you slide it right open, and a dazzling light comes through. You slip through and shut it quickly.

The sky is a pale yellow, though not due to smog. It just is. You look around from a high point and find that, besides the buildings in the village, the surrounding areas are littered with grey monoliths, struts, beams, and girders, stacked up in piles or stood alone, scattered as far as your little eyes can see.
The clouds above are stringy and tenebrous, casting moving shadows on the ground. You realize that there is no sun, but the shadows seem to be coming from the clouds overhead.

The village itself is made up of white plaster buildings with brightly colored roofs, with white plaster walls dividing up some of the yards and properties. The ground is covered in some kind of turf, except the roads, which are paved with some kind of plaster as well.
There is a long building in the center. It's one story, the same as all the others, but there is a wall surrounding it in its entirety and there is a garden within the walls, made up of shrubs and bushes with flowers shaped like yellow cones and purple orbs.
That central building is the only one to have a barred iron gate. The rest of the walls don't seem to actually have gates, in the cases where the wall surrounds the building entirely. But they are mostly used to divide, so the buildings are mostly accessible.

Just past the central building's gate you notice a man sprawled across the ground, eyes closed, next to a green-roofed building.

:(

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8