Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure and Fortress Mode Transitioning  (Read 1515 times)

Adrinus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adventure and Fortress Mode Transitioning
« on: April 20, 2017, 01:04:32 pm »

I propose, for a far-future version, the ability to take a dwarf from your fortress, and become him/her as an adventurer. They could do a one-off adventure and return home, (switching you back to fortress mode) or they could end up retiring elsewhere. But more interestingly, I propose that as an adventurer, if you manage to become the leader of a fortress or town, you should have the option of managing it: ala fortress mode.

I believe that with both of these implemented, one would be able to much more fluidly explore the worlds you find yourself in, it would be a solution to the difficulties of building/ managing things as an adventurer, and should, with a bit of work, allow more code to be shared between adventure and fortress modes.

I spent a good while looking for this suggestion, but these forums are deeper than the legends section of a very old world, so I apologize if this has been suggested before.

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure and Fortress Mode Transitioning
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 02:18:09 pm »

I think that'd be cool. I mean, you ought to be able to manage a fortress or town effectively, and right now there's none of that in adventure mode unless your town is made of party members and no one else.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 04:37:44 pm »

Crossover between both modes and more blurred boundaries (and expansion beyond dorfs) has been talked about in the recent past as a goal. As has playing any historical character in adventurer (that includes all your fortress dorfs, of course).

I guess the only issue with 'take over a fortress dorf immediately' as opposed to 'wait two weeks then play a fortress dorf' (which dfhack has (had?) the ability to do) is that there's no 'game' left in fortress. If you have complete control over any dorf, any time you like (like in arena) you can just stop them doing foolish things, kill the invasion force with Kisat Dur, set up decoys to lead the forgotten beasts into a trap, etc. The motivation to play 'correctly' disappears.

I mean, that's not such a big issue from a simulation point of view, but it needs careful thought before implementing.

Adrinus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 10:03:37 am »

" If you have complete control over any dorf, any time you like (like in arena) you can just stop them doing foolish things, kill the invasion force with Kisat Dur, set up decoys to lead the forgotten beasts into a trap, etc. The motivation to play 'correctly' disappears."

This is a very good point. I think this could be solved with an eloquent trick: Base the level of control on the Hierarchical structure of the town/fortress/city/kingdom

As an example, if you are the king of a monarchy, you should have the full ability to stop anyone from doing anything Ala dwarf fortress mode. But a mayor, for example, might have control over the city guard and certain officials, but might not have direct control over the peasantry.

I think it'd be nice to have levels of control, but I can't really expect that unless we're willing to let go of even more control in fortress mode.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 06:44:19 pm »

Personally I think less control over dorfs the bigger your fortress gets is better. With not only vampires, but spies, guilds and opposing factions all planned (not to mention wizards possibly researching how to destroy your fortress accidentally) you'll need to rely more on indirect methods (guard/military/mercenary thugs) to get your way.

What bunch of violent revolutionaries is going to listen to orders from a king with no law enforcement?

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 09:13:40 am »

Personally I think less control over dorfs the bigger your fortress gets is better. With not only vampires, but spies, guilds and opposing factions all planned (not to mention wizards possibly researching how to destroy your fortress accidentally) you'll need to rely more on indirect methods (guard/military/mercenary thugs) to get your way.

What bunch of violent revolutionaries is going to listen to orders from a king with no law enforcement?
That would be awesome. I would probally end up setting the pop cap really low and have a squad of three legendary speardwarves.
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 03:19:29 am »

Major problem with taking over a town in fortress mode is its size. Even a hamlet with low population might force the game to load a lot of tiles, seriously affecting FPS. Also, this idea has been discussed in length in other threads, the main problem being what Shonai_Dweller has described already. he really should be paid for the work he does on this forum ;)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

malistaticy

• Bay Watcher
  • WAH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 05:41:22 pm »

a simple way to get around the problem of instantly becoming an adventurer and ruining things like megabeasts or invasions, is to just take away the ability to do so during an attack or invasion. Might seem a bit on-the-railsy, but think about it, would you start preparing for an adventure while your home was under attack?
"Honestly, I have no idea how that got there"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 06:19:51 pm »

a simple way to get around the problem of instantly becoming an adventurer and ruining things like megabeasts or invasions, is to just take away the ability to do so during an attack or invasion. Might seem a bit on-the-railsy, but think about it, would you start preparing for an adventure while your home was under attack?
I think I'd be tempted to reclaim my retired adventurer and have him make a run for it the moment a herd of steel clad minotaurs appears on the horizon.

Also taking control of a military dorf during an invasion is such a cool concept that restricting it arbitrarily would just seem annoying to a lot of people.