Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Random thoughts about DF thread  (Read 4882 times)

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random thoughts about DF thread
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:35:21 pm »

This thread is for dumb questions, observations, and thoughts that have no effect on gameplay, but you wonder about them anyway. The paradoxes of the Dwarf Fortress universe, if you will. I'll start.

• If lakes, Oceans, and rivers freeze in winter, and anything in them becomes encased in ice and dies, why aren't fish endangered?
  • When a dwarf in a mood makes a jade bed, does he magically grow the gem and then cut it into a full bed, or is the bed really tiny and the dwarf that sleeps in it just pretends it's full size?
  • Vampires can't drink alcohol, yet they still get alcohol withdrawal.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts about DF thread
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 02:35:04 am »

2. When a dwarf in a mood makes a jade bed, does he magically grow the gem and then cut it into a full bed, or is the bed really tiny and the dwarf that sleeps in it just pretends it's full size?

I would assume that seeing as the bed is magical (made in a mood), it just shrinks the user as needed, then enlarges them again afterwards.
...That, and perhaps the gems are just really big. I mean, it doesn't take many of them to make a window.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Vilkku92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 02:09:54 pm »

3. Vampires can't drink alcohol, yet they still get alcohol withdrawal.

Well, It wouldn't be much of a curse otherwise, now would it? ;D

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 03:45:21 am »

2. When a dwarf in a mood makes a jade bed, does he magically grow the gem and then cut it into a full bed, or is the bed really tiny and the dwarf that sleeps in it just pretends it's full size?

I would assume that seeing as the bed is magical (made in a mood), it just shrinks the user as needed, then enlarges them again afterwards.
...That, and perhaps the gems are just really big. I mean, it doesn't take many of them to make a window.
What if the bed is made of super thin gem chips glued into the shape of the bed?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 07:44:16 am »

What if the bed is made of super thin gem chips glued into the shape of the bed?

Ah yes, a gemstone veneer. The moody dwarf just cut the gems very very thin indeed. I like that.

As when we call a cup of tea "tea" despite the fact that it's mostly water, with plenty of sugar, and milk, with just a little tea in it. Yet it's still tea.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 03:34:25 pm »

Here is a question: Is there a thread in this forum that Thisfox has not posted in?

...sry for the sidetrack, but seriously man, you gotta be some DF expert by now...
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 04:06:13 pm »

....Um. huh. I often don't post for weeks at a time, honestly. Hmm. I read and post at a different time to you, because Australian. So it's possible my posts are more visible than someone who posts on an American or European timethread, I guess? They do say girls are more chatty than boys. Perhaps that's my problem.
Gosh. I really should do more lurking and less talking. [facedesk] Sorry mate.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 01:44:54 pm »

Haha, not a problem, at least you always seem to contribute with something usefull :P

edit: The tavern thread proves my point though, you were, once more, the first person to reply to my comment :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 01:46:52 pm by Grand Sage »
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 10:24:39 pm »

Here is a question: Is there a thread in this forum that Thisfox has not posted in?
inb4 Thisfox is secretly a clone of me.
*cough not anything on the lower boards though, 'cause I'd've seen them do it cough*
I mean the PTW is a thing.

Which I may as well do.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 05:29:40 am »

Haha, not a problem, at least you always seem to contribute with something usefull :P

I do my best to stay constructive. :)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 04:17:38 pm »

Random thoughts/questions

Why have dwarves not developed thier own versions of great weapons that humans use?

How come everyone and their brother knows how to cavalry, but not your own people that you control? Are your people the ones too scared to ride anything into battle? (I noticed this phenomenon in Masterwork - Dwarves will ride cavern animals into battle - if you play as a non-dwarf race and agitate them in some manner, and likewise any race you play as will refuse to cavalry as normal.)

Why can we not truly domesticate things, even if we have literally domesticated entire generations of things like dralthas and cave dragons?

How come vampires are too stupid to just drink some booze when they feel the withdrawal headaches set in? I mean shit man, I'll take a placebo even once the caffeine withdrawal headaches start.

Why can't I tell my militia to use mugs and chairs to beat intruders to death? Or a bag of full of freshly minted money? I WANT A MILITIA MADE UP OF LITERAL MURDER-MERCHANTS DAMN IT.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 12:54:04 pm »

...sry for the sidetrack, but seriously man, you gotta be some DF expert by now...

Since she absolutely detests Facebook, I'd imagine the void must be filled with SOMETHING besides gin and tonics.

"Like many others of her kind, she enjoys posting in the Bay12 Forums."
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 08:06:09 pm »

Since she absolutely detests Facebook, I'd imagine the void must be filled with SOMETHING besides gin and tonics.

"Like many others of her kind, she enjoys posting in the Bay12 Forums."

"...She has felt entertained after seeing a great post on Bay12 Forums. She has felt inebriated after playing Drunk Fortress. She has felt euphoric after successfully cracking an aquifer. She has felt startled after reading about herself on Bay12 Forums. She has felt satisfied after interacting with her friends online...."

Heh. There are other things in my life, I promise, and even other forums, but it is nice to sit down of a warm Aussie evening, run a Fort in the background, and read the Bay12 forum posts, and make my own posts, and so on. I think part of me being so noticeable is that I'm posting when other people are asleep, a lot of the time. But I do post a lot. I'll look into that. :)

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 08:10:56 am »

She has felt startled after reading about herself on Bay12 Forums.

This part made me laugh.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 03:20:36 pm »

Anyone else jealous of the huge variety of food and booze available to dwarves?
Pages: [1] 2 3