Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to find bandit camp  (Read 2437 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to find bandit camp
« on: April 20, 2017, 05:36:34 pm »

Hello,
I'm a newbie at Adventurer Mode, but after genning a world, creating a character, and looting the mead hall I was in for arms and armor like in the quickstart guide told me to, I decided to begin my adventure with finding a bandit camp my fellow humans were complaining about. I selected it in the quests menu, and, as it turns out, I don't need to move any distance in the "big" map squares.

The quickstart guide said to follow the direction in the upper-left corner of the map -- it said "west" so I went west, but then it said "east" so I back-tracked a bit, but now it just says "***". What's that mean?

Thanks in advance.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
Re: How to find bandit camp
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 05:44:32 pm »

*** Means that you're right on top of it.
Try heading north or south.
If that doesn't work, do a giant spiral.
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 05:53:32 pm »

Ooh -- I see a town with a bunch of goblins.
It's slaughterin' time!
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

newtonsolo313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 08:57:22 pm »

Ooh -- I see a town with a bunch of goblins.
It's slaughterin' time!
Um you do know that there is a chance these goblins are proper citizens because citizens of conquered sites get integrated into the civ

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 12:19:14 am »

One of the goblins attacked a human and then demanded he yielded.
Also, after I killed him and bragged about it to another human, the human said "the defenseless will now be safer from outlaws" or something like that.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 01:13:00 am »

One of the goblins attacked a human and then demanded he yielded.
Also, after I killed him and bragged about it to another human, the human said "the defenseless will now be safer from outlaws" or something like that.
Yeah, if a goblin is attacking another person, demanding they yield, and drop all their valuables, it's a good bet you should slice their head off.
Or any race for that matter, all races with ethics can be criminals too.
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 08:31:40 am »

Yeah, if a goblin is attacking another person, demanding they yield, and drop all their valuables, it's a good bet you should slice their head off.

As a general tip, people will react in a similar manner to you beating people up and demanding their stuff. So don't do that.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 09:12:27 am »

As a general tip, people will react in a similar manner to you beating people up and demanding their stuff. So don't do that.
Unless you're ready for it. Don't do the crime unless you can avoid dying from many angry villagers.
GENERATION 29:

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 12:57:11 pm »

Turns out the goblin I killed was the leader of the camp.
Despite that, the camp wasn't automatically disbanded. I found 3 other goblins sitting nearby, one of them I killed, another one one of my companions killed, and the last ran away.

I've decided to get to another camp up north. On my way I found a town, at the center of which was some giant, wooden, fortress-like structure. I didn't trade anything tho, because I already have more than enough plump helmets I stole from a farmer and a full set of iron armor, an iron shield, and an iron long sword.

EDIT: Ooh -- I think I found a dungeon underneath that structure, meaning that structure was likely the town's keep.
EDIT 2: I heard footsteps, so I followed them. Then I saw several corpses lying on the floor. Cue sneak mode.
EDIT 3: I found a boss. Imma sneak around some more and then try to kill his gang if I can.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:48:08 pm by bloop_bleep »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 06:24:10 pm »

You don't have to kill them, city criminals usually are nice people. In my game, they are the last group standing against an army of angry knife ears

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 07:12:55 pm »

You come too late. My companions and I have killed 3 gang members. I was the one to strike the final blow to the boss we killed, so that's some new bragging material right there.

The boss was really pathetic. He sent me a few arrows which bounced off my shield and armor, and as soon as I came in range I just chopped off the hand that held the bow; the rest was really easy.

I did however get a pretty bad blow to my right lung. I want to sleep somewhere to rest it off, but I heard in the Vaults thread that, for example, sleeping respawns the dead angels in a vault. If something similar happens with this dungeon I'd rather not do so.

EDIT: I went down a staircase and tried to attack a swordsman -- among about 10 of his colleagues. A few seconds later and it was over.
I savescummed and now again about the same scenario as before happened, but without my damaged lung. I think I actually escaped unscathed.
Also, I now notice that the game did recognize my robbery of plump helmets.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 09:44:24 pm by bloop_bleep »