Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I get visitors from a civ I'm at war with?  (Read 710 times)

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
  • Stumbling belligerence-first through life.
    • View Profile
Can I get visitors from a civ I'm at war with?
« on: April 21, 2017, 02:01:31 am »

So, I have a world genned, that I quite like the idea of.

Problem: It has 60 dwarfs in the dwarven civ, but over 1k in the massive Goblin civ, and a few hundred in the local Elf civ, both of which I'm at war with at the start.

So, is it possible that random civvies, (and hence a small chance of a dwarf or two) will visit from these civs? (coming to drink in taverns, read at libraries, etc)

Is it then possible that I might "repatriate" these dwarfs, to help restore the dwarven civ to glory?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:33:16 am by Curious Key »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can I get visitors from a civ I'm at war with?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 02:37:26 am »

As far as I know, the answer is no. That's not solid knowledge, though.
I believe provoking a civ to war will make all the visitors from that civ hostile when their kinsmen show up for their first siege, but again, it's based on rumors/guesses.

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 02:40:53 am »

Hmmm, interesting. Any way to restore peace with, say, elves?

If you're correct, that would make their population valid for sending visitors, and they're about 1/5 dwarven.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 04:00:37 am »

Performance troupes seem to be able to bypass the 'at war' issue. Peace loving hippies the lot of them...

Supposedly normal visitors will check to see if they'll be welcome before deciding to visit so shouldn't come if you're at war. Although apparently if they're already present when war is declared it might get messy (not instantly, but people will eventually update their knowledge and realize they're supposed to kill the unsuspecting enemy bard).

All this needs a lot more Science to prove and work out what's working/not working though.

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 04:06:15 am »

Performance troupes seem to be able to bypass the 'at war' issue. Peace loving hippies the lot of them...

Supposedly normal visitors will check to see if they'll be welcome before deciding to visit so shouldn't come if you're at war. Although apparently if they're already present when war is declared it might get messy (not instantly, but people will eventually update their knowledge and realize they're supposed to kill the unsuspecting enemy bard).

All this needs a lot more Science to prove and work out what's working/not working though.

Thanks, that's very informative. :)

The next issue I suppose is: Is it possible to declare, or somehow create peace with the elves, so their substantial dwarf population could start visiting? (I need to save those poor dwarfs from living in such abhorrent conditions, lacking in true staples of dwarf civilization such as vomit and magma)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 05:08:48 am »

Interestingly, when a war starts, or the game realises it is going on, traps the visitors are standing on will be triggered, while this would not normally be the case.

This can lead to random explosions of goblin parts, if one scatters weapon traps through the cavern.

I prefer to think of it as the visitors remembering that they are in enemy territory, at which point the weapon traps sense their fear and eviscerate them :P
One wheel short of a wagon

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 06:56:05 am »

In the next release you may be able to stop a war with an artifact offering. I think. It's going to happen like that in worldgen at least, as far as I can tell, but not sure what the full scope of artifact diplomacy as a fortress is going to cover. Might just be limited to 'please don't kill us all (this year)'. We'll see in the next few weeks I guess.

reynoldsj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 01:22:33 pm »

"traps the visitors are standing on will explode"

Does this mean that your visitors who turn hostile will only trigger traps they happen to be standing on at the very moment they turn hostile?  Do I need to coat every square of my tavern with traps or can I just trap the entrance so the new hostiles eventually get caught? 

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 01:35:22 pm »

The latter will work, I think, though it only happened with goblin poets for me. At least, the traps will still apply after the game catches up, I think.

I did not see any fistfights break out, in fact. That may be because all visitors in my tiny tavern who were from hostile civs were standing on traps the instant the game realised. Or it may be because the visitors are nonhostile...
One wheel short of a wagon

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 06:08:49 pm »

The former would be way more hilarious let's be honest.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 07:11:04 pm »

Thanks for all the feedback guys. :)

The the insta-gibbing politically sensitive weapon traps idea is hilarious - might have to implement that!

It looks like from what you're saying getting dwarf expats is an unlikely prospect, and as far as I know peace doesn't occur naturally post world generation currently so I'm likely in eternal war with the elves. So that means I have to reconstitute the dwarven race the *natural way*  :P